I was wondering if anybody knows what amps Alex used on the "Rush" and "Fly By Night" albums. I also was wondering if anyone knows a good tube amp to start off with. I thought about a JCM 900.
Guitars: Epiphone LP Standard w/ DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF and PAF Bridge and Fender MIM Strat

Pedals: Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Dunlop 535Q Wah and Keeley Modded Boss SD-1

Amps: Orange Tiny Terror and Marshall MG 4x12
Gibson 335 plus a Marshal JMP. There's rumors he boosted the marshall with a treble booster or fuzz box, so maybe a fuzz face or a treble booster of some variation.
Do u know the exact model for the amp I know it was a Marshall but I want the details. I also know he played LPs.
Guitars: Epiphone LP Standard w/ DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF and PAF Bridge and Fender MIM Strat

Pedals: Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Dunlop 535Q Wah and Keeley Modded Boss SD-1

Amps: Orange Tiny Terror and Marshall MG 4x12
Quote by necroscience13
i saw a video of rush live and he was using hughes and kettner amps
it was a recent video too

Quote by LSGoCards7
I was wondering if anybody knows what amps Alex used on the "Rush" and "Fly By Night" albums. I also was wondering if anyone knows a good tube amp to start off with. I thought about a JCM 900.

He meant what amp he used back on their first and second albums. He now uses H&K amps, his configuration of choice for the '07/'08 tour being many different les pauls through 2 H&K Alex Lifeson Tri-Amps and 2 H&K Switchblades.
Quote by LSGoCards7

Borrowed Hi Watts and Plexis...Les Pauls

MXR Distortion, electric misstress flange, echo plex, cry-baby wah.

Any decent high gain tube amp and a few select pedals will cover 99.9% of Lifeson's career.
I know it's an old thread, but this may help. If i can recover my other drive at home, I have a little more detailed info...

For now, there's this:
Alex @ Musictoyz
In some of the older tones, I have better luck with a pre-amped AC30, depending on which software/emulator your using but Plexi's a bit harsh. Otherwise the real deal was a Marshall JMP50 half-stack 4x12 in the studio and 2 full stacks on the tour for both "Rush" and "Fly By Night".
Last edited by FishmanTx at Jan 12, 2010,
Up until A Farewell to Kings, Lifeson used a 1968 Marshall 50-watt non-master volume amp (the 1987X, I believe it is called today). He said in a couple of recent interviews that he very much misses his old 50-watt Marshall. He used four of them on top of four Marshall 4x12 cabinets live. This rig can be seen on the cover of the live album All The World's a Stage. Anything that has a chorus sound is his Roland 120-watt Jazz Chorus 2x12 amp, which I believe he got around the time of the 2112 album.

His guitars were pretty simple back then: he used a Les Paul Standard and a Gibson ES-335 for almost everything. Lifeson said in an interview that for some tracks up through 2112 he borrowed a Stratocaster because he couldn't afford one back then. Lifeson used the same ES-335 from the old days on the most recent Rush album Snakes and Arrows.

As for pedals, I can't be sure. I know he had an old Echoplex unit that got a fair amount of use, as well as a phaser of some sort and a flanger. He also had a set of Moog Taurus bass synthesizer pedals.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jan 12, 2010,
For the HiWatt DR-103 ('73 HiWatt 100), Pod Farm Platinum or Pod XT Pro. I bought an XT Pro just for that reason.
Yup, I'm REAL happy with the Pod XT Pro's HiWatt emulation. Works great with a lot of classic rock. Use the Hiwatt with the 4x12 Green 20's or for a little more bottom the 25's for the classic stuff. Change to the 4x12 Line6 2001 for some of the newer. The guitar used is still gonna make a difference; i.e. pickup placement vs tone. Don't expect an Ibanez RG to sound like an ES-335, but dang it's close. Hook up an ES-335 and it'll be dead-on I bet.
I've already worked up some patches for Moving Pictures - Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta, and Camera Eye. Those posted on the Line 6 forum don't even come close. Only one "RB" and "Camera Eye" patch was close enough to be useful as a base to build on. I jenned these up on my RG270 with Limelight, then switched to the Strat and the tones followed right along to most of the rest that required it with little tweaking.
Last edited by FishmanTx at Feb 9, 2010,
He also used Rockman X100's in the 80s

Marshall plexi's are the way to go
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
He also used Rockman X100's in the 80s.
Marshall plexi's are the way to go

Yeah but he used Marshall JMP50s on the old stuff, then Hiwatts for Moving Pictures. Plexi's won't dial in without a lot of creative EQ'ing. BTW, I find no mention of Rockman X100s or Rockmans of any kind except a TSR Rockman amp used on Power Windows.
Quote by FishmanTx
Yeah but he used Marshall JMP50s on the old stuff, then Hiwatts for Moving Pictures. Plexi's won't dial in without a lot of creative EQ'ing. BTW, I find no mention of Rockman X100s or Rockmans of any kind except a TSR Rockman amp used on Power Windows.

there is an article on here saying he used Rockman X100s and there is another one somewhere.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/rock_chronicles/rock_chronicles_1980s_alex_lifeson.html
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Feb 11, 2010,