I have a Strat that I like to use for Eric Claptons later years and classic rock. Would it be easy to just pick up an SG and play it? BTW I plan on using it for hard rock, claptons early years, and some heavy metal.
all guitars will play a little different but you should be able to play it no problem... you'll just have to get used to it
lol
no a sg has a completely different scale setup than a strat
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Last edited by enemy120 at Aug 1, 2008,
You should be able to do it pretty easily. The fretboard is a different scale and the neck proflile is different. My advice is to play a few different sg's because they will play a little different and just find one that feels like your strat.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I had a squier strat, and I bought a tokai sg, and it took me like a day to get used the the width of the neck, because the strat has a small thin neck, meanwhile the sg has a wider, but very thin neck, but it feels wonderful. So it should not be hard, just like maybe a day or a couple of hours to get used to the feel, thats about it.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
lol why has no one brought this up yet? the SG is famous for it.

I picked one up to play one at Guitar Center, and when I went to put it on my lap, it nearly toppled over, the balance on them is terrible, but its not too much of a problem, you just need to learn to always keep a firm grasp on the neck.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
NOPE
youll have to relearn the guitar.
im joking obviously but have you ever played a different guitar or are you a fender person all the way.
I played my friends sg before I got a guitar but I guess that doesn't really count. I have always had my crappy squire strat which I want to move out of. I was thinking between a standard SG, telecaster, or strat. Of course, this will all be after getting a new amp.
Well, it's easy enough. I can switch from a Strat to a Les Paul with ease, so yeah..
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Mecler
You'll be fine. Don't even consider it a problem.

+1

You should be fine TS
the only thing that messes me up is a 24 fret guitar,I get up there and it is wtf?,Im use to 22 frets.

Ibanez necks I have a problem with,they are too flat and fat for me,I'm use to strats and Gibsons.