I just tried playing my bass with my violin bow but it didnt exactly goes as planned. I was wondering if any one knows anything about playing with a bow or if its even possible on a bass guitar?
Buy an upright if you want to use a bow so badly.

Its not sarcasm, I'm just saying...
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Yes, it is possible - you just did it.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
you can get flat wound strings and that might help? dunno. worth a shot.
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
stand up bass bows have much tighter tensions than violin bows. You would need to get some flat wounds. Even then, you would only be able to play the top and bottom strings because of the whole purpose of a BOW. If you were to raise the middle strings so they can be played, they would be further from the pickups and would be too quiet.

Go buy one of those E-Bows. If you want more sustain. Decent uprights are in the thousands.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
im curious

why play with a bow?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Yeah like CLIFF said, you can only play those 2 strings. As far as sonsie's post, it has an interesting tone. you would just have to try it. lol
My Gear:
Agile - 2000 W/ EMG 81/85
Fender 112 Stageman
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech Rp100
Yamaha Ac/El
Im starting to get more sound by applying more pressure but my bow feels like its gonna snap. Also I have flats on it but I guess I have to have an upright bow
I used an antler and it worked... kinda...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by SRVNumberOne
a stand up bass has round-wound strings and an electric bass doesn't

Its the other way around. Uprights have flatwound strings, roundwounds would chew up the fingerboard.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Flatwound strings.

Quote by SRVNumberOne
a stand up bass has round-wound strings and an electric bass doesn't

No.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by bass_ownage
what the hell is wrong with you

OM NOM NOM Deviled ham OM NOM NOM

The main issue TS is that you could only play the E and G strings, raise the saddles on the A and D to get a nice curve like on uprights and you could play all strings.
Quote by bass_ownage
what the hell is wrong with you

Spam. Warned.

And to the TS, get an Ebow. Its not quite the sound you want but it will get somewhere in the neighborhood of the sustain you are looking for.
it seems like his right hand is just kinda levatating there. ill just look it up on google, but thanks for the video
The bassist from Strange Boutique also uses a Ebow quite a bit . I think when used right (like in the Mannring video) it sounds rather cool.
i have the same problem....my band wants me to use the bow for the show, but i have no idea how to make a violin bow work....i heard just use a bunch of rosin...but flatwounds i guess might help...they are so effin expensive though....