I don't wanna start a Anchor vs non anchor here but i just wanna see what is considered "anchoring" Is lightly resting your palm on the bridge considered anchoring? i can play across all six strings and my palm just moves higher or lower depending on the string. I do this cause a free floating hand just feels tense when I'm standing and I miss strings.
No, resting your palm on the bridge is a good thing; it helps to mute the unplayed strings.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
usually anchoring is done by having your spare fingers holding your hand in place, for example on your pickup ring. it is advised to do so when sweeping,
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by 68_SG
it is advised to do so when sweeping,

Says who? Personally, I think that any kind of anchoring limits the mobility of your hand and wrist, thus causing you to use more elbow and arm than necessary. This should apply to you regardless of if you are alternate picking, sweeping, etc. Again, all this is my opinion. Anchor if you must, but know that most guitarists frown upon it.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by rodyrdz
I do this cause a free floating hand just feels tense when I'm standing and I miss strings.

Well, whatever you want to call it, requiring your hand be stabilized on the guitar
in order to not miss strings can only be a limiting thing to do. It doesn't have to
be that way. How much you think it's limiting for your playing, only you can decide.

Touching the strings/bridge to mute them is completely different from resting your
hand. Muting is by no means a given (and certainly not required for sweeps). It
all depends on your style and how much distortion you use and your skill at muting
with the fretting hand.
Quote by rodyrdz
I don't wanna start a Anchor vs non anchor here

good luck with that.
shred is gaudy music