When i TRY to play fast during a solo or a rhythm, both my fretting and my picking hand begin to cramp up. how can i prevent this? any stretches or massages?
THANX!
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Just warm up. Play something relatively easy before playing, make sure you relax. It will improve over time.
stop right away because any pain means youve already overworked it and the muscle is contracted .. i think, im not a doctor.. or soemthing liek that
maybe try something like a spider excercise or similar in practise to build muscle? or maybe trying barre cords
it's like sports, you have to warm up before you can play full out
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Quote by 12stringhelp
stop right away because any pain means youve already overworked it and the muscle is contracted .. i think, im not a doctor.. or soemthing liek that
maybe try something like a spider excercise or similar in practise to build muscle? or maybe trying barre cords

As we say in Martial Arts, "Pain is weakness leaving the body!"

You'll get used to playing for longer periods of time, over time. I don't get tired from playing solos anymore, unless it's solid tremolo picking, in which the hand never stops.

A good way to get practice is to put all the songs you know into a playlist, and play them back to back. It'll be like you're playing a long set. See how many you can get through, and then try to get through 1 more next time.
Last edited by xHellbound at Aug 2, 2008,
Like everyone else is saying, just practice. You'll eventually build up the muscles to where it doesn't hurt to do that anymore. Now, if it's really a cramp like you say and you're having troubles moving your hand when this happens, get something warm like one of those heating pad things and put it on your hand. It'll help relax the muscle. I'd suggest taking a break for about a day or two if this happens.

If it just starts hurting when you're playing, you can massage that muscle by your thumb near the palm of your hand. Just massage it in circles with your other thumb. This is the muscle most people tend to hurt because they tense their arms and hands up when they play. I used to do it all the time when I played the violin, and massaging it like this really helps.

If you have any more questions about this, or if it's not helping, send me a pm. I'll see if I can help you out. If you let this keep up, it can REALLY suck later on. My hand eventually cramped up so bad I couldn't move it for a couple of hours, which can be quite bothersome if you've got a show to play or something of the sort.
If all else fails, remember these wise words from The Minutemen:

"Maybe partying will help".
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
I know it sounds extremely gay, but use hand lotion. When my bro first told me to use it to ease your hand pain a laughed and called him a fag. But he cut his thumb off in a truck accident and he has prevented any pains in his thumb for 15 years. Just try it. It may work for you, it may not.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
so, its like working out. the muscle gets sore, but it also gets stronger?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
If all else fails, remember these wise words from The Minutemen:

"Maybe partying will help".

LOL, did it last night. felt no pain at all for a hours.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
Quote by xHellbound

You'll get used to playing for longer periods of time, over time. I don't get tired from playing solos anymore, unless it's solid tremolo picking, in which the hand never stops.

So would this mean that left hand(fretting) pain is okay, but right hand(picking) is not?
No, no pain in either of your hands.

My teacher has developed carpal tunnel syndrome from ignoring his pains, and refusing to take breaks.

Take more breaks, and stretch, and warm up before you play.

Or you'll end up with CTS or RSI.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by xHellbound

In guitar playing that = epic fail.

In terms of guitar playing: "If it hurts you're doing it wrong."

There's a very fine line between pain and acid buildup from lack of stamina and you have to learn to tell the difference between the two so you can tell if it's because you don't have enough stamina or becuase your technique is wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
use some BenGay. it works for me. just put a little splotch on the ache, rub it in, itll feel cold and wet, but then it'll dry, and it works like Novacaine. completely numb
I heard that practice makes perfect...But then I heard that nobody's perfect so I stopped practicing.
Quote by xHellbound

This is such a retarded and meaningless expression.Something like that may be true when speaking of muscle fatigue from weight and combat training,but it isn't when you're speaking of joint and tendon pain in your hands from a dexterous activity like guitar.TS,if your hands hurt then you need to stop and take a break.Ignoring joint and hand pain can lead to arthritis and a slew of other problems that can cripple a musician.You might have bad playing technique which could be causing the issue,or you could have stiff joints which need to be warmed up before playing.Try doing some basic scale and chord exercises for a while before you start getting into technical pieces,and remember that pain = break time.

Edit: I hate the guy above me for reviving this thread and making me think I actually made a relevant post.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Mar 1, 2009,
first of all take ur thumb and place it behind the neck as u play not along side of it like jimi hendrix does . then u need to stand or sit right and warm up before u start to go uber fast
smacking bone kydd
Playing guitar should never be painful. If you're getting cramps, you're probably trying to do too much, you need to ease into things.

Invest in a metronome, start playing a slower pace, and slowly build it up to speed over time. It probably sounds boring and I know people just want to play face melting solos, but if you try to to force yourself into being a good guitarist, you never will be.
either use BenGay, or you could make the hand cramps disappear forever by following Hendrix and simply play with your teeth.
I heard that practice makes perfect...But then I heard that nobody's perfect so I stopped practicing.
Quote by epiphone805
either use BenGay, or you could make the hand cramps disappear forever by following Hendrix and simply play with your teeth.

Wow you've revived this thread twice maybe you should I don't know but like post in some more recent threads.
strange... i never get handcramps when i play, even when i shred (or at least try to). but i get foot cramps when i play guitar from leaning to adjust knobs on my amp and pedals. tone nazi perfectionists ftw
Last edited by TheFunkyAvocado at Nov 6, 2009,
Way to revive a thread from the dead...

Though for the record, if you are experiencing pain in your hand or wrist while playing, especially while playing faster runs up and down the length of the neck, the most likely cause is your guitar's neck is too slim for your hands. Following that, you may have the guitar slung too low or you may have simply developed very bad technique (though this is unlikely as your body wouldn't usually let you learn something like that which caused you pain).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.