Page 1 of 3
Is for good men to do nothing.

How many of you agree with this? Do you think one good man could stop something evil from happening, or prevent the evil from going further?
One good man? No. Many good men? Yeah.
However, every good man has to act even if he is alone, because otherwise, nobody would act.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

whats evil?
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by lateraluspiral
whats evil?

Well, some people think that's debatable, others find it clear and not debatable.

Quote by The Madcap
Quotes like that are a bit too vague to say definitely "Yes, I agree" or "No, I disagree" for me.

Explain what you think than, if you have something to say.
No good, no evil, they are just artificial constructs designed to solidify the abstract feelings and urges that make up our natural altruism.
Quote by Darksucker
No good, no evil, they are just artificial constructs designed to solidify the abstract feelings and urges that make up our natural altruism.

you sound athiest... idk though, but if that's the case, then who designed those constructs?
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
you sound athiest... idk though, but if that's the case, then who designed those constructs?

WE did. Rather than say "Don't hit you're sister because it makes me feel sad when you do it," it's easier to say "Don't do it because it's just WRONG." It's like a validation for abstract feelings...
No good.

No evil.

Never was, never will be.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fob12
Well, some people think that's debatable, others find it clear and not debatable.

Yes I was about to say this, what's evil to some people is good to others...its very subjective...but definetely if you believe in something that's evil and you sit around and do nothing to stop it...then yes I agree with the quote.
Quote by fallenangel20
No good.

No evil.

Never was, never will be.

Wellll... they DO exist, but not in an objective way... the same way opiniions exist... they are ideas, but there isn't some universal law pertaining to good and evil forces or something...
Quote by Darksucker
WE did. Rather than say "Don't hit you're sister because it makes me feel sad when you do it," it's easier to say "Don't do it because it's just WRONG." It's like a validation for abstract feelings...

good call then, i guess that's a logical way to see it
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
I think anyone who kills someone is evil, except the army or police. But anyone who kills someone besides to protect is evil. And that doesn't mean that it's not evil to invade Iraq for no reason, that was evil because so many lives were lost for no reason. But, it's ok to kill if someone is directly threatening you or someone else.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I think anyone who kills someone is evil, except the army or police. But anyone who kills someone besides to protect is evil. And that doesn't mean that it's not evil to invade Iraq for no reason, that was evil because so many lives were lost for no reason. But, it's ok to kill if someone is directly threatening you or someone else.

But what MAKES it evil? Because you feel that way or for another reason?
An evil man could prevent evil from succeeding. Like, say Osama Bin Laden or Hitler had friends of the family who were serial rapists, and they didn't kill them.. But they went into some serious post traumatic depression, and they killed themselves when they were just out of puberty.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Darksucker
But what MAKES it evil? Because you feel that way or for another reason?

Because life is the most valuable thing in the world. Anyone who takes away life from someone else is evil in my opinion. Other things can eventually be repaired. There is no way to bring back someone from the dead.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight

That logic is just so flawed.

Killing is never needed, called for, or "valid".

By your logic, then all of the lives America, Britain, etc. lost in Iraq weren't for "no reason", they were killed becaused they were directly threatening the members of the terrorist factions.

Which, by your logic, gives the terrorists/insurgants full, undeniable reason to kill, in your terms.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Because life is the most valuable thing in the world. Anyone who takes away life from someone else is evil in my opinion. Other things can eventually be repaired. There is no way to bring back someone from the dead.

True, life is finite, a one-shot deal, but what defines its value?
Quote by StrokeMidnight

I dunno man, the last time we put a price on people, the Civil War broke out. I wouldn't let anyone hear you talking about valuable people.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by fallenangel20
That logic is just so flawed.

Killing is never needed, called for, or "valid".

By your logic, then all of the lives America, Britain, etc. lost in Iraq weren't for "no reason", they were killed becaused they were directly threatening the members of the terrorist factions.

Which, by your logic, gives the terrorists/insurgants full, undeniable reason to kill for a "valid" reason.

You're not getting what I'm saying. If someone says we have nuclear weapons and we're aiming them at you right now, it's ok to invade a country and kill to save other lives. The Iraqi government didn't directly threaten us so it's not a valid reason to kill.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I dunno man, the last time we put a price on people, the Civil War broke out. I wouldn't let anyone hear you talking about valuable people.

Errrrrmmm... I think you misunderstand...
Quote by StrokeMidnight
You're not getting what I'm saying. If someone says we have nuclear weapons and we're aiming them at you right now, it's ok to invade a country and kill to save other lives. The Iraqi government didn't directly threaten us so it's not a valid reason to kill.

But we'd kill Civilians, too. Not just the government.

Quote by Darksucker
Errrrrmmm... I think you misunderstand...

Ohhh. Oh yeah.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Darksucker
True, life is finite, a one-shot deal, but what defines its value?

The fact that it's finite. It's one thing that cannot be created by human beings. No one knows what it is, yet it's probably the most amazing thing in the world. You can see how valuable it is by the fact that we keep searching for something out there in space. We care more about life in space than all the money in the world. Which also leads me to say what makes it so valuable is the thoughts and emotions and abilities that come with it. By taking someones life you are taking a whole world inside the persons mind.
Quote by fob12
Well, is a man truly good if he allows evil to succeed? Is it possible for evil to be inevitable? Does evil have to exist in an avoidable form? The question also seems to assume that there are simply good peole, and there is some subjectivity on what is good and evil.

So if we look at the world we live in, we can answer these questions.

1st question: Again, being an enabler for evil is not something I would call "good", and there is a flaw in the so-called good person, and since it allows evil, the flaw is partly fault to the alleged "good" person, and since evil succeeded, it wasn't because the person who allowed it ignored it, rather than the flaw which was not good.

2nd question: I do think that there is future evil that is possible, however avoidable. Then again, there probably is some inevitable evil, but it isn't exactly one or the other. If there is inevitable evil, than the cause of why evil succeeds is situational, and not always because the good person allowed it.

3rd question: I would say that it doesn't, but this can be a big source of semantic disagreement and subjectivity, which I don't feel like going into.

In the end, I don't think all evil exists because good people allow it.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

The way I see it, if we define killing as "evil," any killing is evil, whether it's in the defense of homeless orphans or whatever. But allowing more killing would be eviler, so you would have to choose the lesser of the two. I think my standpoint is much easier on the brain.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Ohhh. Oh yeah.

Well we'd have to be sure not to kill civilians and only military personell. I'm not actually totally sure how I feel about this because if I ever killed someone I'd probably kill myself. So I don't know...sometimes I feel that killing even in the army is evil, but sometimes I don't.
Quote by Darksucker
The way I see it, if we define killing as "evil," any killing is evil, whether it's in the defense of homeless orphans or whatever. But allowing more killing would be eviler, so you would have to choose the lesser of the two. I think my standpoint is much easier on the brain.

You're still putting value on human life. Saying this man's life is more valuable cause he's one of us is wrong.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Well we'd have to be sure not to kill civilians and only military personell. I'm not actually totally sure how I feel about this because if I ever killed someone I'd probably kill myself. So I don't know...sometimes I feel that killing even in the army is evil, but sometimes I don't.

How?
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by StrokeMidnight
The fact that it's finite. It's one thing that cannot be created by human beings. No one knows what it is, yet it's probably the most amazing thing in the world. You can see how valuable it is by the fact that we keep searching for something out there in space. We care more about life in space than all the money in the world. Which also leads me to say what makes it so valuable is the thoughts and emotions and abilities that come with it. By taking someones life you are taking a whole world inside the persons mind.

Alright. Deeper: because something is finite it is valuable- because it is valuable it is "wrong" to destroy it? But where is the objective proof of this? Is there some wrong particle that is created when someone takes a life or is good and evil just a channel to funnel your vague emotions?
Quote by Darksucker
Alright. Deeper: because something is finite it is valuable- because it is valuable it is "wrong" to destroy it? But where is the objective proof of this? Is there some wrong particle that is created when someone takes a life or is good and evil just a channel to funnel your vague emotions?

Saying that just because there is no proof does not mean it's not true. There is no proof of sadness either.

EDIT: This is why it's evil. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2008/08/01/coopsammy.canada.bus.folo.ctv

And not to be mean, but if you think that life isn't valuable and killing isn't bad, then you have a serious mental disorder.
Last edited by StrokeMidnight at Aug 2, 2008,
WRONG!!!

Neither good or evil will ever succeed because stupidity is already ahead. Look around, see the stupidity...know the stupidity...be the stupidity.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Saying that just because there is no proof does not mean it's not true. There is no proof of sadness either.

EDIT: This is why it's evil. http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2008/08/01/coopsammy.canada.bus.folo.ctv

There is. Sadness has been linked to certain chemichals. And what you are saying now is that Good/Evil is just a feeling, not an objective truth.
Quote by StrokeMidnight

Actually sadness is caused by endorphins in your blood. That's an over-simplification, but the point is that there's proof for human emotions.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by crackhutch
WRONG!!!

Neither good or evil will ever succeed because stupidity is already ahead. Look around, see the stupidity...know the stupidity...be the stupidity.

Yeah, I think your astounding intellect has just rendered the whole thread moot...
man... stroke midnight, i don't think any of your logic is reasonable. and some facts are wrong.

I wasn't there, but from what i hear, saddam was testing bio weapons on his own people, thus we would have been defending them by uprooting him, thus by your logic, we're cool to be there... which you said we weren't.

and your opinions seem pretty wishy washy. what makes someone in the military less or more killable than someone who's just pissed off and carrying a gun? or a child? you really need to think your stuff though, cause your not making any solid sense.

why can police and army kill people but not me? because the government would have told them to? that makes the death not evil?
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Evil is in the eye of the beholder...kinda like beauty ya know. What Hitler did was evil in the eyes of the world but just in his own eyes.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
man... stroke midnight, i don't think any of your logic is reasonable. and some facts are wrong.

I wasn't there, but from what i hear, saddam was testing bio weapons on his own people, thus we would have been defending them by uprooting him, thus by your logic, we're cool to be there... which you said we weren't.

and your opinions seem pretty wishy washy. what makes someone in the military less or more killable than someone who's just pissed off and carrying a gun? or a child? you really need to think your stuff though, cause your not making any solid sense.

why can police and army kill people but not me? because the government would have told them to? that makes the death not evil?

Yeah, the more rules you apply the less sense it makes.
Good and evil are subjective, theirfor no.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
The subjectivity people are winning the thread. What are you gonna do about it, StrokeMidnight?
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Reject_666_6
Actually sadness is caused by endorphins in your blood. That's an over-simplification, but the point is that there's proof for human emotions.

All there is is proof of chemicals. What I'm about to say next is gonna make you think I'm on drugs, but it makes sense if you get it and it's 2 AM and I was biking all day so I'm totally wiped so I can barely function.

Take the color yellow. How do we know that we all see the same color? Maybe we have all just learned to call it the same thing. I see yellow and I say it is a light color. Another person sees yellow and they are really seeing brown. However, their parents taught them that the color they were seeing was yellow and that it was a light color.

Maybe when I'm sad I'm really happy, but I was taught that this feeling is sadness. Basically we are just putting names on emotions and you can't prove anything that can't be seen.
Quote by Reject_666_6
The subjectivity people are winning the thread. What are you gonna do about it, StrokeMidnight?

Go to sleep.
Page 1 of 3