Okay, I probably shouldn't even be asking this, but I kind of need to vent at the same time as maybe get some help.

I've been trying to learn Little Wing (Hendrix's version) for a little over a week now, and I still can't play the intro cleanly beyond 50 bpm's (the song is at 70 using powertab). Granted, I know I haven't been practicing enough, as I've been not feeling that great emotionally so I'm kind of in a funk and playing more of what I already know than learning new stuff or practicing, but still. I learned the entirety of "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" by Jeff Beck in less than three days practicing no more than 3 hours a day. I've just about matched that amount of practice in the last week or so for Little Wing.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Man this is frustrating.
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
If I had an axe that could make well formed vaginas I would go out a lot less.
have tried going up in bpm by one beat at a time tile you hit 70, and you should also invoke the soul of hendrix into your hands, either ay should work
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by The Raven
^ I know a spell to do that BTW... but we need virgins...

Man...virgins are so handy to have around
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by The Raven

I know a few. I can go get them if we need to. They're guys, though, does that hurt my chances?
Quote by fatgraymatt
I love metal but death metal's just a bit too much for me. The most I can get into is serious-illness metal.
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
Quote by F8iscruel
have tried going up in bpm by one beat at a time tile you hit 70, and you should also invoke the soul of hendrix into your hands, either ay should work

I've been doing that so far, but it seems that even moving up slowly I can't seem to get past 50. It's just buggering me out man.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
Quote by The Raven

well, although they wont admit it, most people on ug porbally are, but just go through and look for people with the emo stare picture as their profile image and sacrifice them. ot saying their emo but that picture scream virgin if its a guy, or bimbo if its a girl, but thats off the people i know and have scene o it may not apply 100% haha
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by schmidty3000
I've been doing that so far, but it seems that even moving up slowly I can't seem to get past 50. It's just buggering me out man.

the honest best advice for you, DO NOT LEARN IT NOTE FOR NOTE. Do not try to simply replicate hendrix becuase it is a very difficult thing to do. Take the framework that hendrix has given you and expand upon it and weave it into something of your own.

Remember Henrix wasn't a precise musician, as many versions of his songs are in different tempos (well slightly different anyways...)

that being said i NEVER slow anything down to learn it. i always rip full speed ahead, but many like to slow it down. Try it at full speed, you might surprise yourself!
Quote by schmidty3000

wel ive learned that if you just get the basic speed you know down just play that constantly, eventually youll get so used to it you just naturally speed up, i call it the live show training, sicne thats why live shows bands are always much fasster with their older songs
Quote by hawk5211
the honest best advice for you, DO NOT LEARN IT NOTE FOR NOTE. Do not try to simply replicate hendrix becuase it is a very difficult thing to do. Take the framework that hendrix has given you and expand upon it and weave it into something of your own.

Remember Henrix wasn't a precise musician, as many versions of his songs are in different tempos (well slightly different anyways...)

that being said i NEVER slow anything down to learn it. i always rip full speed ahead, but many like to slow it down. Try it at full speed, you might surprise yourself!

thats actually not a bad way of doing it if your that type of person, but learnign is based on your brain activity so if people with left brain activity learn something they might do it dfferently from a right brain person, as they have different ways of thinking and approaching problems
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by F8iscruel
wel ive learned that if you just get the basic speed you know down just play that constantly, eventually youll get so used to it you just naturally speed up, i call it the live show training, sicne thats why live shows bands are always much fasster with their older songs

That would explain why when I saw ZZ Top last year they kind of sped through Cheap Sunglasses. Thanks, F8iscruel.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff
Quote by schmidty3000
That would explain why when I saw ZZ Top last year they kind of sped through Cheap Sunglasses. Thanks, F8iscruel.

no problem its easy to notice if you listne to recodings more than you do live stuff since when you try singing along with live songs you get messed up when the wording isnt right and playing along with it is the same way when your overly used to something you become more observent when it changes, but thats me im not sure of other people
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel

thats actually not a bad way of doing it if your that type of person, but learnign is based on your brain activity so if people with left brain activity learn something they might do it dfferently from a right brain person, as they have different ways of thinking and approaching problems

and thats how i learn, myself. I don't take instruction very well lol.

TS, maybe try to watch some hendrix videos to try and understand a bit (tho with little wing thats tough since he only played it live like 8 times or something, few videos)

Also try finding other guitarists versions of it. Look up SRV playing it live, now thats an earful!
Quote by hawk5211

TS, maybe try to watch some hendrix videos to try and understand a bit (tho with little wing thats tough since he only played it live like 8 times or something, few videos)

Also try finding other guitarists versions of it. Look up SRV playing it live, now thats an earful!

im the person who talks before thinking even though my thoughts make since in my head, but i cant take instructions all the way i always have to simplyfy it (well to me its simplier but to other a-holes its stupid thinking) so i can remeber it, but yah i meant that we all aproach things differently
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by hawk5211

I've heard and seen videos of almost every famous musician doing Little Wing, even Derek and the Dominos (which sounds nothing like the original, btw). My biggest problem is that I'm a visual learner, and there's very few videos that you can actually SEE what they're doing. I love Stevie's version though. So freaking epic. Especially when he did it as a medley with Third Stone From The Sun, I think it was.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Quote by birdman267
schmidty,
I care
Quote by GuyWhoDoesStuff