So, I'm primarily a bassist, but I'd also like to get into guitar. I'm currently saving up for a MarkBass TA501 300W Bass Head, but after that I was considering picking up a guitar, and a distortion pedal. Would it be okay for the amp to do that? I think it'd be fine, but I just wanted to be sure.

Also, if I were to do this, what type of distortion pedal does UG think would be a good one to use? I like a lot of different styles of music, so a MetalZone would probably be a bit too much gain for the more vintage tone that I'd want to use at times.
yah, it'd be ok. Stoner/sludge metal bands do that [ex. High on Fire]
I've always wanted to try that, but I play stuff other than stoner rock so it probably isn't a great idea.
I was mostly worried that I'd lose any sense of high notes at all, but this video kinda disproved that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS6lo50B9Y

It sounds a bit flat, but I suppose that's partially because he's using a low end system with a digital effectboard. Not to mention, solid-state and whatnot.

Think guitar center would let me plug a guitar into a bass amp? that'd be an easy way to see how it'd sound.
I think Tony Iommi used to do that too.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Banfrau
I was mostly worried that I'd lose any sense of high notes at all, but this video kinda disproved that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS6lo50B9Y

It sounds a bit flat, but I suppose that's partially because he's using a low end system with a digital effectboard. Not to mention, solid-state and whatnot.

Think guitar center would let me plug a guitar into a bass amp? that'd be an easy way to see how it'd sound.

I think so. They just need sales to get a bonus and whatnot, so yeah, I think they would.

It would help if you walked in stoned, just to help the 'stoner rock' look.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
On the subject of pedals, the Metal Zone is actually pretty good for blues and classic rock despite the name. Remember you don't have to turn the distortion up to max and also it's nice to have a some 'reserve'. It has a 4 band equaliser which has a good range.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix