Page 1 of 2
All right please do not say to use google, because I have been looking for the last couple of hours; if you don't have anything helpful to say, then please refrain from posting. Thank you.

All right, well quick story: My girlfriend and I are planning on attending college together, specifically SMU in Dallas, Texas (SMU meaning Southern Methodist University). Well we figured if we work hard enough we can do it, she is going for a major in psychology and a minor in creative writing, and I am going for one in Cinematography and perhaps creative writing as well. Anyways long story short; we want to live together, but the college requires incoming Freshman to live on campus, so my questions to you all are as follows. What exactly is coed housing, could we qualify for a married students apartment without being married (dumb question, I know, but I still have to ask in order to know exactly what it means), and is there anyway of working around this, or are we just going to have to live apart in the dorms for a year?

Well those are my questions, and I would greatly appreciate any help.
Also, thanks in advance if you read it.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
coed is when both sexes can share a dorm...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
You can get special permission to live off campus, and I don't think you can get the marriage dorm thing. Coed just means that there are make and female dorms in the same building, not in the same room.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by The Virtuoso
could we qualify for a married students apartment without being married

Not that I would encourage anything illegal ... just saying ... a marriage certificate isn't that hard to forge.
so coed would mean that both men and women live in one dormitory but not necessarily one the same floor, women on one floor (say odds or evens) and men on another, sometimes they mix them to where it's both on one floor but i doubt they would do that, because the only one i can think of that does that here is a soph+ dorm. as for an apartment... you'd have to show proof that you're married, it's not just a, "hey... we're together, give us an apartment of our own now" kind of thing. there's not really much of a work around... and btw... please tell me you're not wanting to go to SMU based solely on the fact your girlfriend decided to go there, because that is a pretty huge mistake. anyway... that'll probably be helpful, best advice is try to get a coed dorm, that would be the closest you could get to actually living with her, and hey... you could always have her sleep in your room and you could sleep in hers (as long as your roommates don't mind/care) that's what i did last year (although i never asked my roommate) but it worked nicely, if you catchy my drift.

anyway, good luck.
Quote by sacamano79
You can get special permission to live off campus, and I don't think you can get the marriage dorm thing. Coed just means that there are make and female dorms in the same building, not in the same room.

Do you know how I would go about getting said special permission? I see, I figured that coed meant that both sexes were together, but the housing part threw me off. Thank you all very much for being mature about this.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by rhcpfan118
so coed would mean that both men and women live in one dormitory but not necessarily one the same floor, women on one floor (say odds or evens) and men on another, sometimes they mix them to where it's both on one floor but i doubt they would do that, because the only one i can think of that does that here is a soph+ dorm. as for an apartment... you'd have to show proof that you're married, it's not just a, "hey... we're together, give us an apartment of our own now" kind of thing. there's not really much of a work around... and btw... please tell me you're not wanting to go to SMU based solely on the fact your girlfriend decided to go there, because that is a pretty huge mistake. anyway... that'll probably be helpful, best advice is try to get a coed dorm, that would be the closest you could get to actually living with her, and hey... you could always have her sleep in your room and you could sleep in hers (as long as your roommates don't mind/care) that's what i did last year (although i never asked my roommate) but it worked nicely, if you catchy my drift.

anyway, good luck.

Thank you very much for the information. As for going to SMU solely for my girlfriend, no, I'm not. I will admit that I changed my mind about another school for her, but the way I look at it is, I'll still be going to a great school that offers the courses that I want to take, and if anything were to happen to us, I could stay there and get a four year degree and then go somewhere else for graduate school, and if not try and transfer out to another school. Trust me, I'm not compromising my education, but thanks for the concern
Quote by Senor Kristian
Co-ed usually means you have men and women on one floor but roommates are same sex. Some colleges allow opposite sex roommates but this is very rare. I doubt unmarried couples qualify for married students' housing.

You should call the school to find out for sure.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Do you know how I would go about getting said special permission? I see, I figured that coed meant that both sexes were together, but the housing part threw me off. Thank you all very much for being mature about this.

Im not sure, but they had the same setup at SHSU, where you had to live on campus freshman year. Im not sure what you have to do/prove to get this permission, but I know you could at Sam Houston. Im going to be attending Blinn/A&M at college station btw, just got my room mate assignment today, cant wait to meet the guy.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by yoshixxx7
Co-ed usually means you have men and women on one floor but roommates are same sex. Some colleges allow opposite sex roommates but this is very rare. I doubt unmarried couples qualify for married students' housing.

You should call the school to find out for sure.

Yeah I'm going to call or e-mail them to find out for sure, and see if any sort of leeway can be given.

Quote by sacamano79
Im not sure, but they had the same setup at SHSU, where you had to live on campus freshman year. Im not sure what you have to do/prove to get this permission, but I know you could at Sam Houston. Im going to be attending Blinn/A&M at college station btw, just got my room mate assignment today, cant wait to meet the guy.

I see, well thanks for the help. Gah, all this damn college stuff is really wearing me down, it's frightening to think that in a like a year I won't be at home anymore.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I live off campus in an Apartment, and you can do Coed rooming with your girlfriend.
Hai 2 u
Quote by Roads5
I live off campus in an Apartment, and you can do Coed rooming with your girlfriend.

Are you sure about that last part, because that would be great. Also, are/were Freshman required to stay on campus at your school, please explain!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
Are you sure about that last part, because that would be great. Also, are/were Freshman required to stay on campus at your school, please explain!

Yes i'm sure and no you are not required to stay on campus. Mostly because my University (UCF), does not have enough on campus housing to accommodate the 10k incoming freshman.
Hai 2 u
Good lord. Do not live together. Trust me, both of you will like it MUCH better living in separate dorms. If you do decide to go through with this, good luck . . . finding another dorm in the middle of a semester.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by Roads5
Yes i'm sure and no you are not required to stay on campus. Mostly because my University (UCF), does not have enough on campus housing to accommodate the 10k incoming freshman.

I see, thank you very much for responding!

Quote by la bamba
Good lord. Do not live together. Trust me, both of you will like it MUCH better living in separate dorms. If you do decide to go through with this, good luck . . . finding another dorm in the middle of a semester.

Well I think we can do it, I mean I love her to death, and I know she feels the same. I know that every teenager says that, but I can assure you that I'm not some immature twit that falls in love with every girl that he meets. I truly care about her and will gladly put her above myself (I'm not whipped, I just want her to be happy, because when she's happy, I'm happy), and I want to be with her as long as I can. I understand how crazy this sounds, but I honestly think it can work out, and if not well I'll still be at a great college, and I'm sure we'll still remain good friends.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Well man, all I got to say is:

1. Show us pics of her.

2.I love my girl too, but I def wouldn't want to live in the same place as her on a day to day basis. Something happens to couples when they start living together, for a while its cool, then little things start getting on peoples nerves and it causes problems and sours up your relationship. No matter how much you think you love her now, you never know, 3 months down they line you might feel differently. And going into college you might meet alot of hot girls who might be into you and it could change how you feel about the situation.

I say, even if you can find housing together, dont do it. Cus you just never know.
Hai 2 u
coed means that both sexes live on the same floor/whatnot. i live in a coed dorm community, but all my roomates are girls. and no, you cannot get a dorm for the married if you're not married, and there is no was getting around that. the only thing you can do is live off campus, and find out if they'll let you stay together (if you want to be with each other that bad). if SMU has coed dorms, then shoot for those; you wont be living with each other, but you'll be relatively close.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by Roads5
Well man, all I got to say is:

1. Show us pics of her.

2.I love my girl too, but I def wouldn't want to live in the same place as her on a day to day basis. Something happens to couples when they start living together, for a while its cool, then little things start getting on peoples nerves and it causes problems and sours up your relationship. No matter how much you think you love her now, you never know, 3 months down they line you might feel differently. And going into college you might meet alot of hot girls who might be into you and it could change how you feel about the situation.

I say, even if you can find housing together, dont do it. Cus you just never know.

1.Maybe, but I don't think she'd appreciate me posting her picture on this forum. I'm sure you understand.

2.I know living together is a really big commitment, and I honestly do not know what is going to happen to us over the next couple of months, but all I know is that I want to spend them with her. We've discussed it a lot, and both of us are willing to do it, and seeing as our relationship is wonderful in my opinion, I see no reason why it can't work out. Yes, temptation is always going to be there, but I love her, and I would never cheat on her, and if both of us want it to work out and are willing to make it work, it will. Yes there is always that possibility of meeting someone new, regardless, I will stay with her as long as I can.

I know this is crazy guys, but I want to do it, granted I don't know what is going to happen and I'm scared of what could happen, but I want to do this with her, that I am sure of. I just want to plan for the worst and hope for the best, meaning that I don't want to compromise my education if something happens, and if nothing happens, then I'll be overjoyed to be attending college with someone whom I love very much.
Quote by Senor Kristian
at least you only have to live on campus for one year, it's two years here at texas state, although they're giving a little leeway these days because housing is packed. but anyway... at least here, the way it usually goes is, if you live a certain number of miles from the campus, like you have a home (parents have a home) you can just live at home and commute. for texas state the farthest i've heard is a little town called buda which is... maybe 15 miles away from san marcos, where texas state is, but if you're nowhere under probably... 30-50 miles, i wouldn't even try that, it would be a waste of time. anyway, that's if you wanna get an apt off campus, but both you and your gal would have to qualify that way, pretty much you're stuck where you're at, but trust me... it's not that bad, at least if you can't screw in one place you have a plan b, one of y'all's roommates is bound to be busy constantly.
Oh yeah, by the way....yes you WILL meet many many more pretty, smart, and wonderful women in college compared to high school.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by rhcpfan118
at least you only have to live on campus for one year, it's two years here at texas state, although they're giving a little leeway these days because housing is packed. but anyway... at least here, the way it usually goes is, if you live a certain number of miles from the campus, like you have a home (parents have a home) you can just live at home and commute. for texas state the farthest i've heard is a little town called buda which is... maybe 15 miles away from san marcos, where texas state is, but if you're nowhere under probably... 30-50 miles, i wouldn't even try that, it would be a waste of time. anyway, that's if you wanna get an apt off campus, but both you and your gal would have to qualify that way, pretty much you're stuck where you're at, but trust me... it's not that bad, at least if you can't screw in one place you have a plan b, one of y'all's roommates is bound to be busy constantly.

I see, thanks for the advice man. Oh, don't worry we'll be screwing in more than just one place (religion section in the library anyone?), it's just that we kinda wanted to live together, but if it is in no possible, we can settle for attending the same college, and hopefully if we're still together, getting our own place the following year.

Quote by yoshixxx7
Oh yeah, by the way....yes you WILL meet many many more pretty, smart, and wonderful women in college compared to high school.

I'm sure I will, but I'm in love with the one I have right now, and I'm not leaving her anytime soon.
And as I've stated earlier, if that does happen, I won't be screwing myself over in terms of an education, and I highly doubt that we'll hate each other, if anything I am certain that we'll still remain friends.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Aug 2, 2008,
To The Virtuoso, I live with my gf right now and **** gets ALOT different when you live you someone. You notice all their bad habits and you don't get as much time to yourself as you would be used to.

I felt and feel the same way that you do about my girl but you WILL fight when move in, don't think that because you are fighting you guys should break it off. If you live with any chick, you are going to fight period.

I wish you the best of luck at school and with her.
Why is it so crucial that you guys live together? Trust me, you're going to want SOME time away from that broad of yours...ive seen her...not so great
Quote by Guitarfreak777
To The Virtuoso, I live with my gf right now and **** gets ALOT different when you live you someone. You notice all their bad habits and you don't get as much time to yourself as you would be used to.

I felt and feel the same way that you do about my girl but you WILL fight when move in, don't think that because you are fighting you guys should break it off. If you live with any chick, you are going to fight period.

I wish you the best of luck at school and with her.

Thank you, I really appreciate your wishes, truly, it made my day to read this. I know things get different, but I love her, and I know we can work through conflict, I'm not a belligerent person, and neither is she, I hate fighting, and I'll do my very best to insure that we fight as little as possible; as long as she doesn't eat my cocoa puffs, and makes pies with me.

Quote by metalman9
Why is it so crucial that you guys live together? Trust me, you're going to want SOME time away from that broad of yours...ive seen her...not so great

Well the fact the we are planning on moving together, and going to college together, we figured we'd move in together, it's not the deciding factor in where we go, we just wanted to live together. It's really no big deal so long as we're still relatively close. I'm sure we will, and when we do want time away, we'll give each other the space they need. Oh really, do I happen to know you then, or are you just stalking me?
Quote by Senor Kristian
coed means same building different floors as in m, f, m and so forth, however you can usually do apartments married
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
To all you people giving definitions of "co-ed", it depends on the school. Some schools mean that it is a shared hall, others floor, others [rarely] room.

It all depends on the school.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
^I see, thanks for clearing that up, I'll have to contact the school to confirm that then.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Mhm. Make sure to call for questions
If you assume wrong, it could change a lot
my friend was almost 'denied' his college enrollment because he misunderstood something with the financial aid (that would have sucked)

as for this thing, I would say it is up to you
I would love to live with somebody, but I don't know if they'd want to live with me sort of thing.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Mhm. Make sure to call for questions
If you assume wrong, it could change a lot
my friend was almost 'denied' his college enrollment because he misunderstood something with the financial aid (that would have sucked)

as for this thing, I would say it is up to you
I would love to live with somebody, but I don't know if they'd want to live with me sort of thing.

I will be sure to call for questions; this seems like the college that I'm decided on, it seems like a great school, I have family in Dallas, it'll be interesting to be a bigger city with more stuff to do, and plus I'll have my girlfriend there with me. Yeah, I ask her constantly if she really wants to do this and move with me, and I get an absolutely every time, so one can only hope that things will go smoothly.

Thank you for the help.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Have you ever lived alone?
Have you ever lived with just another roommate?

Unless there is something IMPERATIVE that you two HAVE to live together, I strongly strongly strongly STRONGLY urge you not to. Both of you need to grow up (not in a bad way) and truly experience what it's like living away from home before you make a commitment like that. I don't know any other way to say it; it just sounds like an awful plan to me, man.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba

Unless there is something IMPERATIVE that you two HAVE to live together, I strongly strongly strongly STRONGLY urge you not to. Both of you need to grow up (not in a bad way) and truly experience what it's like living away from home before you make a commitment like that. I don't know any other way to say it; it just sounds like an awful plan to me, man.

I agree with this man.
Quote by Flying Couch
I agree with this man.

i second that...and yes, i am stalking you
Quote by la bamba

No, I have never lived alone, and I have never lived with a roommate.

I understand the concern and appreciate it and your response very much; it is not imperative that we live together, although the thought of it makes me happy to imagine what it could be like. Alas I understand that in the end it might be for the best if we live apart for the first year to grow up as you put it, don't worry I'm not offended, I understand what you're trying to say. Nothing is set in stone yet, and we are going to discuss this a lot more to make sure we both want to do this, and we'll make sure that we plan everything out to the best of our abilities; making sure to account for everything that could happen. Thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to consider this very carefully before anything happens.

Quote by metalman9
i second that...and yes, i am stalking you

I'll take this into consideration, I assure you all I will plan this out. I see, well I love her, and she's a ten easily in my eyes.

Thank you all for the help and for the being mature and offer advice, I'll be sure to check back for more replies later, but I am exhausted right now, and I need to get some rest.
Quote by Senor Kristian
You're going to college, no highschool relationship can survive that anyway. Why make yourself miserable by trying to live together with your hs girlfriend?

Anyway, coed doesn't mean coed rooms (only a handful of universities have this outside of marriage and they don't allow couples anyway).

And I can't speak for your specific school, but I somehow doubt a religous institiution"methodist university" is going to allow unmarried couples to be treated like married couples in terms of housing arrangements. The church hasen't made money off of your wedding yet, why should it help you out?

Have fun in college!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
You're going to college, no highschool relationship can survive that anyway. Why make yourself miserable by trying to live together with your hs girlfriend?

Anyway, coed doesn't mean coed rooms (only a handful of universities have this outside of marriage and they don't allow couples anyway).

And I can't speak for your specific school, but I somehow doubt a religous institiution"methodist university" is going to allow unmarried couples to be treated like married couples in terms of housing arrangements. The church hasen't made money off of your wedding yet, why should it help you out?

Have fun in college!

There are always exceptions to the rules, I'm sure you know this, and I don't see it as being miserable with her, I see it as enjoying myself with her. My whole reasoning for wanting to go to college with her was due to the fact that it seemed like after high school was over that we were just going to go our separate ways, and never see each other again, and I don't want that to happen, because I know that we both have so much more to give to this relationship, I am not sure what's going to happen over the next couple of months, but I want to be with her, and I just feel like we can make it work out. I know that hardly anybody is going to agree with me on doing this, but this is something that I want to do, and I will take all of this advice into consideration, and I will do my best to minimize what damaging effects can occur for both of us, but I'm sorry, I love her, and I want to stay with her. In short, I will be careful, and will look at every situation that arises from a practical, and objective view, but I want to make this relationship work, and I'll do everything I can to insure that, and if it's meant to be it's meant to be, if not we'll both still have bright futures ahead of us.

Thank you though for replying.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
There are always exceptions to the rules, I'm sure you know this, and I don't see it as being miserable with her, I see it as enjoying myself with her. My whole reasoning for wanting to go to college with her was due to the fact that it seemed like after high school was over that we were just going to go our separate ways, and never see each other again, and I don't want that to happen, because I know that we both have so much more to give to this relationship, I am not sure what's going to happen over the next couple of months, but I want to be with her, and I just feel like we can make it work out. I know that hardly anybody is going to agree with me on doing this, but this is something that I want to do, and I will take all of this advice into consideration, and I will do my best to minimize what damaging effects can occur for both of us, but I'm sorry, I love her, and I want to stay with her. In short, I will be careful, and will look at every situation that arises from a practical, and objective view, but I want to make this relationship work, and I'll do everything I can to insure that, and if it's meant to be it's meant to be, if not we'll both still have bright futures ahead of us.

Thank you though for replying.

You're so polite and pleasant I can't keep it up. I'm really just inebriated and trolling... kind of. I've seen couples make it through college (granted it is the miniscule exception ), and hopefully everything will turn out your way. Living together so early on is still a bad idea, though. Think of it as more of a financial necessity forced on married couples, than a lovey-dovey wonderful arrangement.
Quote by la bamba

I don't wanna be negative but I agree. Before moving in with someone you should have experienced living together for a while. You could get bad surprises.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't, but I think you two should re-consider it. I mean in the end, you might just end up together and all and everything will be fine, but the sometimes it can **** up things(if your couple isn't ready, for example).

Or perhaps if you can, take it as an experience for your couple. After like 3 months, you can take the time to examinate the situation. Are you in very good terms living together and all, or do you constantly fight about what happens in the apartment, etc? In the end if it's needed, living seperatly might end up with good results. Your couple could actually grow from that situation, but that requires a commitment.

Anyways, don't see anything as negative. You do what you want, right?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
You're so polite and pleasant I can't keep it up. I'm really just inebriated and trolling... kind of. I've seen couples make it through college (granted it is the miniscule exception ), and hopefully everything will turn out your way. Living together so early on is still a bad idea, though. Think of it as more of a financial necessity forced on married couples, than a lovey-dovey wonderful arrangement.

Well thank you for your kind words. I don't know if we're going to make it through college together, I honestly don't. The only thing that I am certain of is that I want to stay with her as long as I can, and if that means through college, then so be it. Well the way it looks we'll probably have to spend the first year apart, and as much as I hate to admit it, it is probably the better choice, but hopefully everything will work up for the best; I'll do my best to make her happy, and we'll see where it leads us. Thank you for the advice though, I could really use it. It's not that I'm uncertain that I want to be with her, it's just that I want to take every precaution that I can so as not to compromise either one of ours education, happiness, and to insure the longevity of our relationship. Again, thank you for replying.

Quote by Spike6sic6
I don't wanna be negative but I agree. Before moving in with someone you should have experienced living together for a while. You could get bad surprises.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't, but I think you two should re-consider it. I mean in the end, you might just end up together and all and everything will be fine, but the sometimes it can **** up things(if your couple isn't ready, for example).

Or perhaps if you can, take it as an experience for your couple. After like 3 months, you can take the time to examinate the situation. Are you in very good terms living together and all, or do you constantly fight about what happens in the apartment, etc? In the end if it's needed, living seperatly might end up with good results. Your couple could actually grow from that situation, but that requires a commitment.

Anyways, don't see anything as negative. You do what you want, right?

I understand, and I'll be sure to take all of this advice into consideration, as I'm sure that most of you all are more experienced in life than I am, and I would be an idiot to not try and gain some wisdom from you all right? Thank you.

I must say, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of maturity and serious advice in this thread, it makes me happy to know that there are still people out there that are willing to help someone in need.

Thanks again to all.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Page 1 of 2