Some quick EQ questions. Im looking for a good shred tone, and I know using a lot of mids is usually what is suggested, but I find that it makes my tone really muddy, but when I scoop them slightly it makes my tone much clearer and each note is very distinctive.

treb-10
mid-8
bass-10

I have seen the mid scoop option frowned upon, and have heard it does not "cut through the mix", but is this really true? With scooped mids it seems the my tone is really sharp, and the mids would make my tone too muddy. If someone could help me find a good EQ, I would appreciate it!
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I go with treb-10 mid-7 bass-9 for a shred but that's just my personal preference. Still cuts through the mix well.
I played 2 shows recently, one with the mids really low, and one with them more then half way. Everyone at the second show said I was able to be heard a lot better. I find that when you play in a band with more than one guitar, its difficult to have your tone scooped as it doesnt cut through as much, I think it sounds better, but nobody could hear me! Overall, I like the sound I have now, and now, believe it or not, I dont even have to turn my amp up as loud. Its pretty nice.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
^how much were they scooped? and what EQ are you using now?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I think all b-52 amps have 2 midrange knobs, the mid, and contour knob. Before, I had the mids on 4 and the contour on about 3. The contour is more of a fine tuner, its not really a sensative knob.

Now, I have the mid at 6, and the contour about 7. It really makes a huge difference. I often switch back to my old tone for a couple minutes just to hear the difference. It sounds like a tin can haha.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
a slight scoop like that is probably ok. it depends on the amp too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for shred you just want lots of highs, the ammounts of mids and lows is just preference

so it can be scooped or accending, it doesn't really matter
For shred, when recording anyways....

I almost completely kill the mids...

Treble - 10
Bass - 7/8/9
Middle - 3/4/5

I've never played this kind of music with other people... And therefore I usually have my mids up.
I wouldn't call mids at 8 scooped. Scooped in my opinion is more like 1-3.

My personal experience, I find that when I play with my band I can barely hear myself when I have scooped mids. I have no idea how Metallica did it back in the day. The reason mids allow you to cut is because the lows compete with the bass, and the highs compete with the cymbals. However, the mids have nothing they have to compete with, so they cut through the mix.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Jeff Loomis' old Nevermore stuff is a great example of shredding with scooped mids, look at the Garden Of Gray solo.
Quote by roshjosh
For shred, when recording anyways....

I almost completely kill the mids...

Treble - 10
Bass - 7/8/9
Middle - 3/4/5

I've never played this kind of music with other people... And therefore I usually have my mids up.

I'm just wondering, but what amp setting do you use on your AD30VT when you do that??
Quote by SupremeACL
I wouldn't call mids at 8 scooped. Scooped in my opinion is more like 1-3.

So even though they are slightly scooped, do you think it would be enough to cut through?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
If you scoop the mid too much the sound get lost in and the cymbals especially playing riffs. I have a lot of experience with itcause i used to scoop a lot.
To really know how good a tone is you have to play at high volume and try listening form a distance(guess you have to have someone else playing to do that)..

EDIT: I guess it wont be as bad for solos..
Last edited by ambush_xx at Aug 2, 2008,