what would i need exactly for a home studio? im new to this but what i understand i would need.....

mic
interface
computer
recording/editing program

would this be fine?

TASCAM

whats a good mic, any suggestions?

also whats a good recording/editing program i could use? i hear good things about pro tools, is it good for this application. what are some other things i might need for a studio?
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Try this site" http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm "it shows lots of rig you could have for different mean, of course the best rig for you is somewhere between all of these and it depends on the money you want to put. I once wanted a studio All mac with Pro tools and at least 16 track, 4 condenser mic, and all the others things you need. It was around 10 000$, including a mac pro at 5000$. In my opinion if you haven't already got a mac, Go PC don't care what the others says (especially if you're not going pro in recording), for the simple fact that Pc is cheaper. ( well unless you need a technician 24H).
stay away from that tascam MTR, they are not worth the money...
That is a multi track recorder, you dont run it with a computer or software, it is a stand alone device. You should only need mics and hardware to plug into it.

I suggest reading tweaks guide posted above and then getting an audio interface for a DAW setup instead of going with an MTR
I'm guessing your main plan is to record your sweet guitar amp. Here's what I'd get:

1. Presonus Inspire. $150, includes a light version of Cubase. That's interface and software taken care of. If you join a band, they (except the drummer) can get identical modules, you can then chain them together and record together. Of course, a better overall solution would be the Presonus FP10.
2. Shure SM57 or e609. To mike your combo amp. Of course, get a stand and cable. $100
3. Monitors and headphones (in that order). You do need to see if your sound is good. $200-300 for low-end yet useful models. Stereo equipment won't cut it (though they do provide a useful 2nd opinion).

What you get you can keep using (Inspire for mobile, SM57 is the most versatile microphone for the money).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
I'm guessing your main plan is to record your sweet guitar amp. Here's what I'd get:

1. Presonus Inspire. $150, includes a light version of Cubase. That's interface and software taken care of. If you join a band, they (except the drummer) can get identical modules, you can then chain them together and record together. Of course, a better overall solution would be the Presonus FP10.
2. Shure SM57 or e609. To mike your combo amp. Of course, get a stand and cable. $100
3. Monitors and headphones (in that order). You do need to see if your sound is good. $200-300 for low-end yet useful models. Stereo equipment won't cut it (though they do provide a useful 2nd opinion).

What you get you can keep using (Inspire for mobile, SM57 is the most versatile microphone for the money).

+1