Are you supposed to always use the index finger of your fretting hand to dampen the strings below it? And if so I suppose that means the index finger can never really leave the fretboard, its always performing that technique?
I don't get your question...

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

i'm gonna respond like your talking about power chords ^^

lets say you play a G5 powerchord, you can use your index finger to mute the D, G, B, and e strings

now then, lets say you play a C5 on the 3rd fret A string, you can mute the E string with your index finger tip and then mute the G B and e strings aswell

why do this? well i just find it easier to learn this and then not have to restrict your strums to a few strings

if this is the wrong kinda answer you were looking for, well, its still helpful
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Right, I do that with powerchords already.

What I'm asking is if I need to use that same technique when soloing as well, say I'm playing a lick on the G and B string, my index finger would always be muting out the high E.
I'd say that you don't necessarily 'have' to, but doing it will make everything sound cleaner. Just do what you want.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Thanks, I guess I do most of the time. But I noticed that my index finger sometimes comes right off the fretboard and I panicked that I have yet another technique issue to fix. Most of the youtube videos I watch, the guitarists index finger doesn't come off.
Good left hand muting is an indispensable tool for any guitar player, especially if you use a lot of gain in your sound. No one wants to hear your open strings ringing, no matter WHAT you're playing. Keep that first finger on the strings you're not using. I use my right palm on any I can't get with my first finger.

YMMV

Brettski
Quote by Brettski
Good left hand muting is an indispensable tool for any guitar player, especially if you use a lot of gain in your sound. No one wants to hear your open strings ringing, no matter WHAT you're playing. Keep that first finger on the strings you're not using. I use my right palm on any I can't get with my first finger.

YMMV

Brettski

Well, with somethings its impossible to always have the index finger muting the strings below it. Certain solos and when I play on the really high frets come to mind. I don't know if that's bad or if you don't do that with EVERY SINGLE thing you play.

I have pretty short fingers, maybe that plays a roll.