okay i dont useually play or pay much attention to signature models but i went go guitar center the other day and because it was the only guitar in the store with the Tex Special pups in it i tryed it and i fell in love... the guitar smoked the action was flawless it sounded amazeing and the neck felt like home ive always liked fatter necks and this was perfict... my only thing is that it has SRV on the pickguard and it is about $1600 now i figured i could take the pickguard off and buy one to replace it so i dont look like a noob at gigs playng a guitar with SRV on the pickguard... i pritty much am just gonna save my money and get one but i want to know if any of you have heard of or had any problems with these guitars that i should know of?
If you loved it, go for it. Its a fender, theyre all great. Dont listen to what people say about signature gear, its about what you want.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
If that guitar was THE guitar, then get it, replace the pickguard. Sure, someone might think it was stupid to get a signature, or to replace the pickguard, but screw them. If you liked it, if you can afford it, then by all means get it.
I would recommend checking into Rio Grande pickups with an American Standard Strat. It would come out cheaper and my Rio's push my deville to heaven.

Edit: If you have the money for the sig, buy it, but if it's a huge stretch I would look around for similiar stuff.
its not so much teh pups its the neck ive played other american standards and the necks dont feel right and are thin.... on the SRV model the neck is thicker witch is more to my taste(if i was gonna buy a strat and mod it id eather get allparts parts and make one like the one i have or get a mex and mod it)
I don't see what the big deal with buying a sig model is anyway?? Its a guitar - who cares if it has someone's name on the headstock or, in this case, SRV on the pickgaurd. If you like it then you should get it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I don't see what the big deal with buying a sig model is anyway?? Its a guitar - who cares if it has someone's name on the headstock or, in this case, SRV on the pickgaurd. If you like it then you should get it.

It's because many times they're very overpriced.
I personally think that paying 1600 for a strat is crazy, but if it was THE guitar, i see no reason for the price to hold you back.
I'd just get an american standard, and get a SRV profile custom neck. That's just me though.

Edit: Errm, buy an american strat body, and some texas specials, with a custom SRV neck is what i meant by that.
Just a bit of clarification.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
It's because many times they're very overpriced.
I personally think that paying 1600 for a strat is crazy, but if it was THE guitar, i see no reason for the price to hold you back.
I'd just get an american standard, and get a SRV profile custom neck. That's just me though.

Edit: Errm, buy an american strat body, and some texas specials, with a custom SRV neck is what i meant by that.

Well sometimes I can seem them being overpriced and other times I can't.

When you are buying a sig model and the only difference is a fancy paint job then I say its not worth the extra cash.
But other times you run into a sig model that sounds and feels a lot better than the standard model - and in that case I can understand shelling out some extra money.
My roomate has one, it's a great guitar he hasn't had any problems with it at all. My feeling is though it's a SRV signiture show Stevie some love and F what anybody thinks about it, if they think you look like a noob or a tool or whatever let your fancy fretwork do the talkin!
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Quote by metzguitarist
My roomate has one, it's a great guitar he hasn't had any problems with it at all. My feeling is though it's a SRV signiture show Stevie some love and F what anybody thinks about it, if they think you look like a noob or a tool or whatever let your fancy fretwork do the talkin!

thats what i neede dto know thank you!!!!!
Quote by metzguitarist

thats what i needed to know thank you!!!!!

and thank you all for the help i useually wouldent go for it gowever i think this is the best guitar i ahve ever played so im gonna go for it
If you're a fan of the SRV strat you might also like to try the John Mayer strat. It's basically the same thing as the SRV but with an African Rosewood fretboard instead of pao ferro and different pickups. The SRV has Texas Specials (which IMO aren't really that fantastic) and the John Mayer has Big Dippers. Fender doesn't sell Big Dippers by themselves but they should, because they really are the best pickups Fender puts out. They're similiar to the Texas Specials, but they reduce the 60 cycle hum slightly and cut some of the mids out to give you a glassier tone.

But the SRV strat is by no means a bad guitar. The Eric Johnson is also great.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by kool98769

Edit: Errm, buy an american strat body, and some "Lindy Fralin" pick ups, with a custom SRV neck is what i meant by that.

I would be on this program myself.
But anyway you show love for SRV is good. He's up there, he knows we believe Jesus should move over a seat, but God himself offered up his chair...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
When a guitar has mojo you cant do anything buy get it.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
If you liked it that much, you may as well get it. It's a fairly unique guitar, so it's not like you could easily buy an American strat and provide it with the same specs cheaply.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...