Page 1 of 2
haha! wow.
i do! of course, then you'll never know what your guitar sounds like on stage!
and plus, when practicing with an amp, you can find out hte specific tones that you want for your amp.
Yes, generally. Either the Micro Cube or the Peavey.

I am sure to go unplugged every once in a while, though. There are benefits.
I do normally, but not for the next month I have to play unplugged, cos I haven't got an amp!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Yes, I practice with my Roland Cube 60. Without amp I can't hear what I'm playing...
Sometimes I can't, like when it's late at night and everyone's asleep.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
No.

I plug in headphones into my PODX3 Live most of the time.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I rarely practice - I'm not out to be some guitar god and I know enough technique to satisfy myself - but when I do I have to be plugged in... it just doesn't have the same feel without the sound being pushed back at you through an amp.
Personally I like to practice with my acoustic until I really get a song down. With an acoustic you can really hear what you are playing and it can help you with your technique.

After I feel comfortable with how it sounds like on acoustic I will then plug into my amp and mess with my tone and such.
When i forst started playing i didnt use an amp because my guitar sounded better buy its self...

But now that i upgraded my gear a little bit i play with an amp all the time even at 3 in the morning.
I do most of the time, but sometimes (i.e. late night playing) its not possible to plug it in.
Why bother playing an electric guitar if you aren't even gonna plug it in?

No offense, but that's really fucking illogical.

I can understand if it's late and you can't be loud and gnarly, or you don't have an amp to play on, but if it's there and you payed money for it why not... you know, use it?
Quote by Wonthefu
Why bother playing an electric guitar if you aren't even gonna plug it in?

No offense, but that's really fucking illogical.

I can understand if it's late and you can't be loud and gnarly, or you don't have an amp to play on, but if it's there and you payed money for it why not... you know, use it?

Because you're most likely to develop better technique since you won't have the amp's distortion covering up all your mistakes.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Because you're most likely to develop better technique since you won't have the amp's distortion covering up all your mistakes.

But on the downside, you don't get to practice controlling feedback and etc., nor do you hear the final sound.

It's good to find time to do both.
You should always practise like you would play in a real situation. I doubt im ever gonna be in the situation where i needed to play unplugged (Unless Its acoustic which I play a lot of but thats not the point)

Unfortunately Im not allowed to play past 7:30pm
So naturally I play plugged in till about midnight and then unplugged from then.
50/50, Sometimes I'll sit about doing scales and strumming without plugging in. Mainly because my son would be in the TV/play room which is where my amp n' stuff is.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by evening_crow

Play on the clean channel if your worried about that. I feel that when I'm playing unplugged I can't hear the mistakes I make. Like if I fudge up muting strings it still sounds ok cause it all kinda meshes at such low volumes. You should be able to hear yourself clearly when your playing.

But yea if I don't feel like pluggin in I'll pick up a hollow body or acoustic guitar. Late night riffing is all that should be done unplugged on a solid electric.
Quote by evening_crow

Actually, there is part of the techique that the distortion will show more. Its good to practice both with and without distortion. Sweep picking without distortion is really easy, and without it it can be a lot harder. Although its easy for me either way
I never play with an amp. I sold my 5150 stack, when i quit the band. Since then i dont have an amp. I have a guitarport though, but its just too much of a hassle getting everything plugged n ****.

I dont plan on buying or playing an accustic guitar. It feels and handles very differently from an electric.
i always do,but lately i've been practicing w/o distortion. with distortion on and i shred i can't hear my mistakes and it's really been helping me to play on the clean channel
Quote by mickmos
Never.
I probably should, but like you i cant be bothered

This.

I also remember hearing something about Paul Gilbert - that he never really practiced with his amp, and that was what got his picking really good, as he had to learn to pick really hard to get a good amount of noise and this lead to knowing how to accent notes properly. It was something like that, and I'm pretty sure it isn't from a reputable source but it's a good story either way.
I very rarely practice with my amp, partly because my wife hates the sound of electric guitars (mad woman!) and partly because, as a valve amp, it doesn't sound as good turned right down anyway. Instead, I use a Digitech GNX3000 and a good set of wireless headphones so the sound is superb and I disturb nobody.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I very rarely practice with my amp, partly because my wife hates the sound of electric guitars (mad woman!) and partly because, as a valve amp, it doesn't sound as good turned right down anyway. Instead, I use a Digitech GNX3000 and a good set of wireless headphones so the sound is superb and I disturb nobody.

That cannot be good for a relationship.
yeah, but i play through a first act bass amp

i just play clean, and with a metronome. it really helps with the chopsiziz.
I probably would if I had a half decent amp, usually I use my average Zoom G1X pedal as a preamp and plug straight through into some quality Philips headphones, and it actually sounds alright.
Quote by Doadman

If/When she's pregnant, tell her "WELL I DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF CRYING BABIES!" Then falcon punch her.
always plug into my amp except when its late and i might wake up my old lady. however just bought a vox amplug to resolve that problem, plugs straight into the guitar socket and runs on 2 AAA batteries. sweet vox ac30 tone.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I hardly ever plug it in, even when I do I play on the clean channel. Simply because my amps distortion is too heavy and I can hardly spot the mistakes I make

+ even with the lowest volume setting the thing is still pretty loud
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Usually I do, but sometimes when I can't be bothered to plug it in I go unplugged.
Well, I have two guitars that I do stuff on. I have a Tanglewood Strat copy with all the electronics ripped out and use that as my bedroom guitar. Then I have my Les Paul copy (soon to be Fender Strat!) for the amp work.

Anyway, just to hijack the thread, is there actually any bad things about playing unplugged? I mean, I've heard people say you become sloppy, but it's made me a better guitarist, I think...
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I allways practice with an amp unless im at my friends house and his roomate is asleep. When practicing without an amp I cant really tell if I am doing certain things right like bends, hammerons, pulloffs, slides.
Almost always. I need my fuzzez and ampz to play teh shredz.

Not really. I rarely play unplugged though.
Gear:

Guitars:
Takamine Gs330S
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG3EXQM1
Epiphone SG G-310

Amps:
Crate Palomino V16

Pedals
Ibanez TS9DX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
when im writing songs for my band i play with an amp, but when im just practicing, and messing around with songs and practicing the songs ive written, i dont usually plug in... usually like 30-40 percent of the time i practice pplugged in.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Page 1 of 2