Whats sounds good for a funk fusion kinda sound? I would think that maybe dorian(major)? Looking for a more happier tone.
Last edited by All_Bodies at Aug 2, 2008,
I've noticed chromatic scales are used a lot in fusion.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
I've noticed chromatic scales are used a lot in fusion.

chromatics dont really have a really distinct voice though. not very poppy and i dont think of them as s really "happy" tone but i will try.

youdo know that a chromatic is basically like playing an open E up to the 12th fret? Its just an ocatve scale with 12 tones. not very distinct.
Last edited by All_Bodies at Aug 2, 2008,
It all has to do with your phrasing. When it really comes down to it, you really only have 5 choices:

Major
Minor
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor
Pentatonic

Take your pick. It's all about phrasing.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
It all has to do with your phrasing. When it really comes down to it, you really only have 5 choices:

Major
Minor
Harmonic Minor
Melodic Minor
Pentatonic

Take your pick. It's all about phrasing.

Ahh like you said, itis phrasing, how you play it.
ill try my luck with a pentatonic and throw some modes aounrd in it i guess.
^+1 playing funk/fusion lead is alot to do with phrasing , but the choice of notes is important too - when people mentioned chromatics, they mean 'playing outside' which means playing notes that arent theoretically correct for the chord you're playing over, but fusion guitarists use these outside notes to create tension and interest. The key thing is being able to get back 'inside' again in your phrase in a cool way so you resolve the tension. Best way is to start off with pentatonics, and experiment with outside notes - I like to mix minor pentatonic and the half whole diminished scale (which has a friendly shape that goes well with the minor pent) which adds some extra notes for colour and interest (eg b5, b2, natural 3rd)
Don't make me sick into my own scorn
____

If ya don't give a sh!t ya getcha hellyeah
Throwin' fists in the pit ya getcha hellyeah
Think you're f~ckin' with this well hell no.
Balls, volume, strength getcha' come on!
Quote by BluesShredUK
^+1 playing funk/fusion lead is alot to do with phrasing , but the choice of notes is important too - when people mentioned chromatics, they mean 'playing outside' which means playing notes that arent theoretically correct for the chord you're playing over, but fusion guitarists use these outside notes to create tension and interest. The key thing is being able to get back 'inside' again in your phrase in a cool way so you resolve the tension. Best way is to start off with pentatonics, and experiment with outside notes - I like to mix minor pentatonic and the half whole diminished scale (which has a friendly shape that goes well with the minor pent) which adds some extra notes for colour and interest (eg b5, b2, natural 3rd)

Thanks for explaining.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I think the scale choice can only really be made once you know what chords you are playing over... otherwise you risk certain death.
If by funk/fusion you mean jazz fusion with funk influence like Herbie Hancock, then pretty much pentatonics, but there's also outside playing, like BluesShredUK said.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Aug 2, 2008,
What are the chords to your tune? You can't just throw scales around the place merrily, they're determined by the chords of a tune.
Last edited by confusius at Aug 2, 2008,
A good mode to use would be Lydian, and maybe throw in some Locrian.
Also, I guess some dissonance would be alright?
Quote by Orbit91
and maybe throw in some Locrian.
I admit I'm that knowledgable about funk, but are m7b5 chords ever used in funk?

Quote by All_Bodies
Whats sounds good for a funk fusion kinda sound? I would think that maybe dorian(major)? Looking for a more happier tone.
Dorians a minor mode. It might not sound like much of a minor mode, but it still is.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by confusius
What are the chords to your tune? You can't just throw scales around the place merrily, they're determined by the chords of a tune.

Well, if he means what I think he means, then it can be. Listen to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjkA5ZAWQo

It can be improvised over with stuff based on the Bb minor pentatonic.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you