i'm a relatively new bassist, and i haven't really developed an ear for tone and that kind of stuff, so i've been experimenting with every knob i can play with on my bass and amp. my bass has two volume knobs for the pickups, and one tone knob. i've figured out so far that my neck pickup will give a bassy sound, and my bridge pickup will give a punchy sound. as for my tone knob...i can't really tell what it does.

as for my amp, it has a 3 band eq. i can differentiate some of the sounds, but i'm still unsure of what combination of lows, mids and highs i should use.

so, can anyone advise me on what these various settings do, and how they will affect my tone? also, i would appreciate if anyone could tell me how to obtain certain tones, like those for playing metal, jazz, etc.

thanks in advance.

edit: btw, i play a gibson thunderbird studio on an orange crush 20b amp.
Last edited by chernk at Aug 2, 2008,
what bass and amp do you have?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
yeah i looked through that, but it seems to be mostly tbird bashing. i'd rather get info on a more general level, though, not limited to just the tbird's tone.
all right, that more or less clears up my lack of knowledge on amp eq, thanks. what about settings on the bass itself, with the volume and tone knobs?
just muck around see what you like best

someone might say they love these setting but you might say they suck

its all a matter of opinion
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
You paid for a Gibson Thunderbird, and don't know how to eq?

But yeah, just fiddle with the settings, untill you find the sound you like.
The tone knob changes between lows and highs (or on the T-bird Mids and mids)
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
it's a second hand, i'm not loaded. it's not that i don't know how to eq, i do know how to sit in front of my amp and turn knobs and listen to how the sound changes. it's just that sometimes i'd rather want to know exactly how these things affect sound, because i find it interesting that way...
Last edited by chernk at Aug 2, 2008,
well bass increases bass , mids increase mids, treble increase treble.

the only settings i know is for slap and that is boost treble cut mids and raise bass a lil bit

besides that most people on here will say that the t-bird has a shockin tone
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but with a T-Bird the tone will be way muddy, so you probably won't get any sort of good tone.

Now, if you want to slap, boost the lows and treble a bit and cut the mids. This also works well for finger style playing, but if you play in a band situation and you roll off all your mids you'll disappear into the mix, so a bit of mids is usually a good option.

For metal, it depends what sort of tone you want. If you want a boomy sort of tone, the boost the lows. If you want to cut through the mix and be heard clearly over the walls of distorted amps, the boost the mids and the highs, but leave the lows relatively flat. Boosting the mids and a little treble I find is good for most situations, as you cut through the mix, and if it still sounds a little thin, you could add a little lows.

REMEMBER

Subtle adjustments are key. Don't boost a frequency all the way up, if you want to boost a lot of a certain frequency, turn it to about three or four o'clock, but not all the way up. Don't turn all the knobs all the way up, because all your doing is making it louder, your not adjusting the tone.

Don't my word for it though, I'm far from an expert, you should use this as a guideline and just play around till you find something you like.

Hope I helped.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Read thefitz's blog on EQing. All you need to know really.

And the tone knob should cut treble as you turn it, and the brightest tone it gives is cutting none.

Saying that, Gibson products are infamous for having so little treble/clarity for it to make any difference.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yeah, i got it knowing that it would be muddy. i still like it anyway, personal preference.

thanks for the advice.
when did you buy it?

mayb you could still get a refund
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Well I'm guessing since TS is a new bassist that equipment was probably loaned to him by his father/uncle/grandpa whatever so he could learn (or he may have inhereted it). But even if he bought it himself it shouldn't matter. If he has the money to buy the equipment then more power to him. I hate it when musicians flame new musicians because they have nicer equipment than them, all it means is that either they or their parents work hard so that they can afford nice things. Quit bitching about your sh*tty squier bass because you work at f*cking mcdonalds and wonder why everyone else has nicer stuff.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
all it means is that either they or their parents work hard so that they can afford nice things. Quit bitching about your sh*tty squier bass because you work at f*cking mcdonalds and wonder why everyone else has nicer stuff.

I payed for all my equipment myself, and I don't have any formal job. And quite frankly, I think I have pretty nice gear.

Hence, in addition to get a job, add in the possibility of cutting down on buying other luxuries, and save.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1