Poll: Which leg? (switch for lefty guitarists)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which leg? (switch for lefty guitarists)
Left Leg
34 27%
Right Leg
92 73%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
While playing sitting down, i seem to be the only one that rests my guitar on my left leg (im a righty)...none of my friends do it that way and all guitarists ive seen online/on tv/in videos rest it on their right leg too... im just wondering if its the same for my beloved UG
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
LEFT i'm a lefty
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
yeh, i rest it on my left aswell. but i think thats cos when i first started learnin guitar i got taught to play classical (which was incredibly boring) and thats the way they told me too play so thats just what im used to
I switch it up, because I'm awesome like that.

Though, it's usually on my right leg, I'm a lefty that plays righty. :P
right leg ....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
i do it on my left because it makes it feel more like im playing while standing, so when i do stand my playing dosnt suffer
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
I play right handed. Usually rest it on my right leg, but I play with it on my left leg quite a bit too.
it depends on the shape of the guitar. Some will be more comfortable on rested on 1 leg, some will be more comfortable on the other, and others will just be uncomfortable as hell to sit down with - these are the guitars that i don't bother buying.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
right leg
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
i got a flying V so it essentially rests on my right. although the left leg does play a part in balancing
Right Leg.
When I first got my guitar I would rest it on my left leg until my teacher told me that I should rest it on my right leg.
Apparently its easier, well I figure it is anyways...the neck is more inwards to you and makes it easier and faster. =]

"you may think it looks cool but you shouldn't rest your guitar on your left leg" - guitar teacher

xD!
Quote by 7uk3
Right Leg.
When I first got my guitar I would rest it on my left leg until my teacher told me that I should rest it on my right leg.
Apparently its easier, well I figure it is anyways...the neck is more inwards to you and makes it easier and faster. =]

"you may think it looks cool but you shouldn't rest your guitar on your left leg" - guitar teacher

xD!

Ahah. I'm right-handed, and I rest it on my left leg because, for me, that makes it easier. I have small hands, and playing in that position allows me to do stretches without putting my arm in a awkward position. Besides, I have a bigger range of wrist movement for when I do fast, palm-muted rhythms. I need to alt pick the intro of MoP when I'm in a right leg position, whereas sitting on the left leg, downpicking becomes much more of a breeze.
Quote by 7uk3
Right Leg.

xD!

Obviously your guitar teacher doesn't know about classical guitarists!

I play on my right most of the time. Sometimes left when I want to be classical. But I'm a righty.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
im a righty and i rest my electric on my left leg too. i feel more comfortable that way. for my acoustic, its the right leg.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Right. I usually play classical on my right too - unless it's a particularly stretchy piece or requires a tremolo.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
When sitting down I rest my axe on my right leg, same with classical unless im using a footstall, when then I use my left.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
the poll is a bit useless aint it?
since i'm left handed the implication of the choices are the other way around for me

anyways, normally i rest it on my left leg, but if i'm doing something a bit more complicated i rest it on my right leg classical style

also means i have a reason for the "leg on a monitor while soloing" pose when playing live, brings the guitar into a more classical possition
If I'm sweeping on higher frets on my Les Paul, I'll shift it to the left leg (classical style).

Otherwise, right leg.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I wear my guitar with the top contour snugly across my lowest right rib.

It provides excellent fretboard control, and I can more easily play a keyboard, adjust pedals, slap someone in the face, fuck with a computer or my amplifiers, play a woodwind, smoke pot, hit a metal beam with a drumstick, shoot a cymbal with an airsoft pistol, jump up onto a speaker cab, draw on yourself or others, make tea, eat a bagel, play a second guitar, etc. and play guitar at the same time.

Can you do all that with your guitar at your knees?
Last edited by Wonthefu at Aug 2, 2008,
I play a RR so playing using my left leg would be extremely uncomfortable. I used to use my left with my strat, then changed to right. Dunno why.
I'm right handed but I rest my guitar on my left leg. What can I say? I'm crazy, I like to live on the edge.
Depends on the guitar shape I'm using. If it's a "normal" shape, usualy on the right leg, even if it's accoustic, but I don't play accoustic much. If it's a V shape, probably on my left leg.
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
Last edited by JusticeJanitor at Aug 2, 2008,
To those of you who are right handed and put the guitar on your left leg... do you use a footstool or some type of foot elevating device?
Quote by AznElliot518
To those of you who are right handed and put the guitar on your left leg... do you use a footstool or some type of foot elevating device?

if available...it makes it a bit more comfortable
but its not necessary for me at least
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Both, but mostly right whenever I actually do play sitting down.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Hahah this is embarassing, but i actually thought everyone rested their guitar on their right leg (with the exception of opposite handed guitar players)

But I play on my right, more comfortable and what I grew up doing.
Page 1 of 2