Hey guys i have a Peavey Classic 50, Epiphone Les Paul Custom and MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe od.
My amp sounds decent, but it gets rather muddy and loose sounding on distortion.
I have heard that overdrives are meant to tighten up the sound if the level is on full.
I wanted a bit more gain, so i put the level on my od on full and my gain on about 2. My amps gain is on full also by the way.
I dont notice that much difference when i turn the od on though, besides a bit more gain. But no more tightness.
So anyway, i was wondering if there is anything else i could do to get a tighter, less muddy sounding distortion.
Thanks.
you could try a compressor... that should even things out a little bit to get a tighter sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
You till typically find that each amp has its own tone, some are muddy, some are not. Also, a presence control will often make a big difference. Lots of gain, high treble and high presence are usually the keys to tightening the sound. One thing you could do, is get the Boss Metal Zone pedal. It doesn't sound as good as an amp with a nice distortion, but for riffing you'll get as tight a distortion as you could possibly want. I used it years ago when I had crappy practice amps at the place my band rented.
Quote by Cuddrow
You till typically find that each amp has its own tone, some are muddy, some are not. Also, a presence control will often make a big difference. Lots of gain, high treble and high presence are usually the keys to tightening the sound. One thing you could do, is get the Boss Metal Zone pedal. It doesn't sound as good as an amp with a nice distortion, but for riffing you'll get as tight a distortion as you could possibly want. I used it years ago when I had crappy practice amps at the place my band rented.

Don't do what this guy says.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube

+1

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Get some good preamp tubes, try a tung sol in v1 will give your sound more balance and sweeter distorted tones. Then you want a nice OD pedal and if you want the metal standard get a tubescreamer or any od808 based pedal. Only other idea i can think of for tightness and clarity is active pickups, emg's are alright but have been surpassed by the new seymour duncan blackouts. These would make your tone tighter and push your amp more.

If this dont do it you need a different amp im afraid.
turn down the gain a little bit. the only place i ever have the gain on full is on my od pedal, basically for the fact that it sounds like **** otherwise (yah, i know i need a different one if this is happening. but i'm broke). but i never do so on an amp. even on fender amps, i keep the gain at about 6 or 6.5. never more than that. otherwise, it fuzzes out, or sounds too muddy or something. keeping it lower than full will actually help tighten the sound.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Blompcube

You guys can say whatever you want about the MT-2, but look at what we're dealing with. This guy is not buying a several thousand dollar tube stack or rack to tighten his sound. He's looking for an affordable way to tighten his sound, and that's exactly what the Metal Zone does. It does not blow anyone's mind, and I stopped using it years ago, as soon as I invested in a good amp, but it does provide you with a tight, heavy distortion. I don't like distortion pedals, but this is by far the coolest one I've tried when it comes to good old palm-muted riffs. Those who love it usually don't know what they are talking about, and those who hate it simply compare it to the wrong stuff. It's a decent pedal, and it has loads of signal, which is the exact need TS presents. What I don't like with the pedal, and this is also what most people flame it for, is the fact that it can sound warped and "cold"(which is the opposite of the way tubes sound). A Peavey Classic 50 is not a monster of high gain distortion or anything. From my experience it's a nice jazz and blues amp, and I've never even tried for for heavy distortion, as I don't think it was built for that purpose. Pickups could do the trick, but I've messed around with Epiphone Les Paul Customs in the past, and the guitar should not limit you here. EMG 81s are known to be very tight, and they easily fall into the same category as the MT-2, when it comes to people criticizing; cold and warped. But it's a matter of opinion, in the end, and non-expensive, good sounding, tight distortion is not that easy to achieve.

And Blompcube, I use a compressor, and it does not do all that much for the tightness of my distortion. Although compressing the signal contributes, really muddy to really tight is not done that easily. The solution to his problem is a distortion pedal. If he at some point wants to take his tone even further, then he needs to get a different amp, a different guitar and more effects. I simply provided an easy and cheap solution to the problem.
i guess you could use the mt-2 if you wanted a tight sounding DIGITAL distortion..

but he wants to make his current distortion tighter.

>_>