Okay so I'm on the market for an amp. I have around £1000 uk to spend (I think is like $1700, I'm guessing?) I play alot of metal, from older stuff like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to a more modern metal, Lamb of God, Pantera, Arch Enemy etc. However versatility is quite important to me, I play alot off classic rock and blues. Id also like to have a nice clean tone, thinking along the lines of a SRV clean tone. I also play alot of Vai, Satch, Andy Timmons etc. Now I'm not looking to sound like anyone in particular, the bands are just to give you an idea. For versatility reasons, I was looking at a Marshall Jvm, I've heard alot of great things about these, but I've also heard some not so great opinions. So I've came here for some opinions Oh, I'm currently using a Schecter C-1 Classic with BKP Painkillers, a Jackson DK2M and a Fender Strat. I'm using a Gt-8 for all my tones through b Valveking 212 atm. Thanks again Ug, all feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by sdmf.1919 at Aug 2, 2008,
Is that 20w?
Id probably need upwards of 30w.
I want to go down in wattage from my 100w Vk lol, so probably about 50 would be perfect.
I'm gigging with a metal band, and gig with a blues rock band regularly.
For a versatile, 50W amp i recommend the Laney TT50C or if you want higher, the TT100H + a cab. I own the 50C and it is a very versatile amp. English made as you may well already know and i find it hard to fault. You could probably get a better amp for nearer your budget max. but this is certainly one to consider.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Yeah I'll have a look around and see if I can find one to try out.
I doubt somehow it will sound better than the marshall. I'm not overly bothered about cash, what I've stated is what I have to spend on an amp, as long as I come out sounding decent I don't care:p
Thanks though, I'll deffo have a look
Quote by sdmf.1919
Yeah I'll have a look around and see if I can find one to try out.
I doubt somehow it will sound better than the marshall. I'm not overly bothered about cash, what I've stated is what I have to spend on an amp, as long as I come out sounding decent I don't care:p
Thanks though, I'll deffo have a look

Yeah thats cool its just one to consider. I havent tried the Marshall yet so i cant give you a comparisson, but i do wanna try one. Hope you find the right amp for you
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Well orange might be worth a look then again im not up on my metal so i dont know if those bands sound too modern/high gain for an orange amp. but when ur spending that much consider allllllll your options, and going used will free up a lot more possibilities for your money
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Hmm, nah my metal tones are too important to go Orange:p from the ones I've played they seem to be very much a rock amp.
I don't have any problems going used.
Tbh I can see myself going Marshall. The only other thing I can think is going for a used 5150 combo and a Classic 30/50, or something like that.
Still, all in one would be better, I've heard the JVM is one of these okay at everything, excelent at nothing type things.
Well for that money you dont want a jack of all trades. Depending on the marshall you get it might not have much on an orange tbh, a JCM 800 might be worth a look but the cleans might not be what you want.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Laney Lionheart, Orange Rockerverb, Cornford roadhouse, Jcm 800 with a boost.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

jvms aren't bad. worth considering at least.

also look into:

laney tt combo
koch multitone (should be around your budget if you buy from e.g. thomann)
engl blackmore/screamer
genz benz el-diablo (definitely try first, they're kinda love or hate)

if you can gather together another £200 or so, i'd also consider a brunetti xlr-evo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
jvms aren't bad. worth considering at least.

also look into:

laney tt combo
koch multitone (should be around your budget if you buy from e.g. thomann)
engl blackmore/screamer
genz benz el-diablo (definitely try first, they're kinda love or hate)

if you can gather together another £200 or so, i'd also consider a brunetti xlr-evo.

Right on the money as usual, Dave. Only thing I'm not so sure about is the Brunetti. It didn't sound organic enough for my liking, but then it's all preference.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Give a Framus Dragon a look as well mate. Amazing cleans, marshall-esque crunch, with the ability to get very aggressive. Also has the dark smooth character you need for Timmons-y tone. I've seen them go used for around £700. Exceptional value considering they're hand-wired, with and have MIDI switching capablities.
Were you looking for head/cab? If so, is your budget to include a cab?
Orange amps do metal, and also have amazing clean tones as far as I know.

Also check out some used stuff from Splawn. Those amps are superb, and sound like a boosted Marshall.
engl fireball?
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by jimbob78
Right on the money as usual, Dave. Only thing I'm not so sure about is the Brunetti. It didn't sound organic enough for my liking, but then it's all preference.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all your advice folks, i was out for the weekend which is why I've not answered.
Im deffo gonna have a look at engl's if theyre in my budget.
About the Blackmore, I've heard good things about it, and dont get me wrong I love his music, but I his sound isn't exactly what I was going for, or am I being stupid:p
What do people think of the 6505+? Ive heard the cleans are slightly better. If I get one of those I'll almost deffo get some form of a blues combo.
If the Marshall does what it says it will I think Ive hit gold, I just dont see it being able to do modern high gain tones?
Quote by sdmf.1919
About the Blackmore, I've heard good things about it, and dont get me wrong I love his music, but I his sound isn't exactly what I was going for, or am I being stupid:p

There really is little relation, sonically, between Richie Blackmore and his signature amp. A little like the 5150 in that respect.

The Blackmore is a very cool sounding amp, but it's pretty aggressive. I can't see it doing Timmons with too much ease.
the blackmore is actually quite smooth (for an engl), or at least can be dialled in that way. it doesn't really sound like blackmore at all, as nolly says. it's kinda like engl's take on an 80s marshall.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't really want an 80's amp:p
I want something primarily modern sounding, preferably able of producing a decent lower gain crunch, think somewhere between skynyrd and zeppelin.
Has anyone had any experience with the jvm?
I doubt i'll have problem getting a kind of maiden tone as apparantly thats what theyre using these days.
Its only the modern high gain my worries lie with, though I hear Inflames are using them, opeth also. I dont mind using an od and/or an eq

I should mention I was only looking for a combo, for transportation.
^ I tried a JVM once. It was pretty versatile. Gone from 80's rock to modern metal no problem. I didn't try it for too long however. All I can say is it has a great amount of gain, and pretty nice cleans.
Quote by sdmf.1919
I want something primarily modern sounding, preferably able of producing a decent lower gain crunch, think somewhere between skynyrd and zeppelin.
I doubt i'll have problem getting a kind of maiden tone as apparantly thats what theyre using these days.
Its only the modern high gain my worries lie with, though I hear Inflames are using them, opeth also. I dont mind using an od and/or an eq

Maiden don't use JVMs. In fact, a lot of modern studio work uses Mesas.

BUT, [the JVM] should get that tone easily.
And from what I hear, it's designed more towards modern tones.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
take a look at the mesa boogie mark IV
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by Dave_Mc
the blackmore is actually quite smooth (for an engl), or at least can be dialled in that way. it doesn't really sound like blackmore at all, as nolly says. it's kinda like engl's take on an 80s marshall.

Ah cool, I tried one with a very bright guitar, so that's probably why it came across as very aggressive.
^ oh yeah, it's still bright... it's just a bit more subtle than some of the other engls. also i tend to run engls with the treble and presence rolled off to about 3-4 (and mids and bass at like 7-9).

Quote by AdamDK
^ I tried a JVM once. It was pretty versatile. Gone from 80's rock to modern metal no problem. I didn't try it for too long however. All I can say is it has a great amount of gain, and pretty nice cleans.

yeah, the jvm is nicer than a jcm2000 if you ask me. there are amps i prefer, of course, but it's a definite contender, whereas, in my opinion of course, the tsls weren't.

Quote by sdmf.1919

oh the blackmore can get modern-sounding too... but it may not be what you want, especially if you're tied to combos only.

The big problem is that there's going to be some compromise if you want the ultra-modern tones coupled with classic rock.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?