ok. ive been playing bass in a band for a while now, and i want to widen what i play on bass. we're going into quite heavy stuff, where drop b/c is needed on bass.
however, at the moment were also doing slap funk/metal, so i have medium guage strings. i'm thinking of getting a new bass, at the moment im on a crafter by cruiser jazz type thing, nothing special.
what do you recommend?
a five string?

thanks
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
budget?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
erm im saving (very slowly)
max being 400ish (£
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
well i reckon you should buy a 5 string bass

saves you have to keep tuning a floppy string and would be easier

maybe something like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR505-Bass?sku=517942

or if you saved up a little more

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-V-5String-Bass?sku=511893
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
he he that fender... that 4+1 is ugly as hell lol.
actually i was looking ibanez SRs and BTBs, they have good reviews as far as i have seen.
lol ok but try the fender before you judge it

go to the store and try some 5 strings and see what you like
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
shall do. just dont really seem to see many 5 strings around...
Quote by Jake the Peg
shall do. just dont really seem to see many 5 strings around...

Then try basses you know have a 5 string counterpart. Get a favorite, then ask them to order in 5er version for you to confirm you like it (the neck feel between them may put you off, and them smaller string spacing on most 5ers may also put you off).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
they'll order in a bass just in case you like it?
ok...
why not i spose.
Quote by Jake the Peg
they'll order in a bass just in case you like it?
ok...
why not i spose.

If you really like the 4 string counterpart, and are prepared to buy it fromthem, they shouldn't have a problem. Some (especially smaller shops) may require a small deposit though. However, if you like the tone and feel of 4 string versions, and can play on what 5ers they do have, chances are you won't regret it.

It is far less risk then ordering from the net.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i'd recommend either the peavey grind 5 string, peavey millenium bxp 5 string (deliriumbassist will back me up on that) or the schecter stilleto 5 string (whichever one is in your price range, i have the lowest end model and it's absolutely fantastic)
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
No Fenders suck and I don't need to give a reason, they just do because I say so.

In actuality the Ibanez GSR-205 is very good, the hardware is not great, but the feel is great and the pick-ups produce a wide range of sounds
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I have been looking for the ideal 5 string (for me) for sometime. Both of the basses that you posted are good and have 4 string counterparts to try. Jack's advice is good btw.

Until I played a Euro Spector, I was going to buy a Jazz V 24 Fender. Its a really nice bass and has a good tone that is quite versatile. The Ibanez 5 strings (I tried a 505 and a 905 SR series) are also very good, but the string spacing was a bit too tight for my preference. The 905 was particularly nice, but would require you save up a bit more.

Take you time and really try out a range of 5 string basses even models that you wouldn't think to try. There is difference between models and I only stumbled on my final choice because someone asked me to try it out.