Been playing for maybe 2 1/2 years now, and I'm struggling with rhythmic alternate picking, the fast stuff like you get in Orion, Disposable Heroes, One, Holy Wars....you get the picture.

Now, I can do it slower downpicking, but when I try and do it alternate I just lose it. For example, I'll do three open notes instead of four when it's required.

What sort of different techniques should I be looking at and practising to improve this?

Just saying "Practice" doesn't help because I don't know what it is I need to be thinking about!
Start slow and slowly increase your speed day by day. A very good song to start this is Vain Glory Opera by Edguy.
If it makes any difference to you, Kirk and James only use downstrokes. Annoys the hell outta me, but it obviously works for them, since Kirk can down pick faster than i can alternate pick...
Quote by Riot Act
If it makes any difference to you, Kirk and James only use downstrokes. Annoys the hell outta me, but it obviously works for them, since Kirk can down pick faster than i can alternate pick...

you're right, though I doubt they use only downstrokes on, lets say, the fast riff in disposable heroes..
they are awesome downpickers though,..

edit: also many of the gallop-like riffs are alternate picked (orion, disposable heroes, battery ..)
Quote by Riot Act

No, about the fastest riffs they downpick are the middle fast riff in 'Sanitarium (Welcome Home)', anything faster (the machine gun riff in One, Damage Inc...) is alternate picked; even they're not that fast.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGYwwvWiCi8

Feel free to call me a blind idiot, but even in battery there (about halfway through the vid) id swear on my life he is just downpicking during the gallop (the fastest gallop ive EVER HEARD mind you)

OP: The first reply was right. Start slow, and build up slowly. Make sure you take breaks, and every day when you come back to pick up your guitar, make sure you get loosened up before you start trying to break any BPM records. And have fun.
Quote by Riot Act
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGYwwvWiCi8

Feel free to call me a blind idiot, but even in battery there (about halfway through the vid) id swear on my life he is just downpicking during the gallop (the fastest gallop ive EVER HEARD mind you)

OP: The first reply was right. Start slow, and build up slowly. Make sure you take breaks, and every day when you come back to pick up your guitar, make sure you get loosened up before you start trying to break any BPM records. And have fun.

You're a blind idiot.

Seriously though, for galloping like that the picking pattern is actually D-DUD-DUD-DUD-DUD.

If you think that gallop is fast you seriously need to listen to more metal, check out some Iced Earth: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEBWjM837k

John Schaeffer has a picking hand of DOOM!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Disposable Heroes is definitely alternate/economy picked. Metallica aren't exclusive downpickers, they just downpick a lot more where it could be alternate. And you can hear that it's alternate.
I appreciate the comments about starting slow, but are there any things I should be taking into account, such as how the pick is angled, whether to use my elbow or my wrist to do the majority of the work. That kind of thing...
Angling your pick is, by and large, a matter of preference but it can help you pick faster; angling should be no more than about 45 degrees against the string.

Your wrist should be doing most if not all of the work and when you play slowly make sure your movements are very small and controlled; you should be doing no more work than you absolutely have to and when you eventually try to get to really high speed your movements will need to be small.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 2, 2008,