Hi, I currently play my Fender Stratocaster through my Spider 3 30 watt. I play a lot of metal and I'm trying to get a tighter and more separated attack in my playing. Do you think the issue is more with the fact that I'm using a 3 single coil Strat, or is the spider (which seems to take a casual beating in these forums all day), just muddy sounding with high distortion?

Any suggestions?
its the spider. (most likely)

but i guess to be somewhat helpful...try raising your Mids and Treble aswell as lowering the base and see how that works.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Last edited by moulpatr at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by youngapprentice
Hi, I currently play my Fender Stratocaster through my Spider 3 30 watt. I play a lot of metal and I'm trying to get a tighter and more separated attack in my playing. Do you think the issue is more with the fact that I'm using a 3 single coil Strat, or is the spider (which seems to take a casual beating in these forums all day), just muddy sounding with high distortion?

Any suggestions?

It is the spider that is cursing you. Furthermore Strats arent really "metal" guitars either.

Save up for a new amp and a humbucker for your bridge.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by moulpatr
its the spider. (most likely)

but i guess to be somewhat helpful...try raising your Mids and Treble aswell as lowering the base and see how that works.

eq knobs on a spider dontwork lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Leper_Messiah_
It is the spider that is cursing you. Furthermore Strats arent really "metal" guitars either.

Save up for a new amp and a humbucker for your bridge.

wrong...and...wrong?

don't jump on the bandwagon on both.
now i'm not saying you're completely wrong, i agree with you, to an extent.

spiders aren't that bad of amps as people project. they are great practice amps, but that's it. they're overpriced and i really don't want to get into this...again. it's not the complete problem.

ok, so that last statement didn't make complete sense to me. strats are very metal, depends what you play them through.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Your main problem, contrary to what everyone else on UG will tell you, is the fact that your useing a strat. Strats, just aren't built for metal. You can get a metal sound from a HSS strat, but it's still not that great IMO.

You CAN get metal tones out of your spider, not great ones, but you can still get the general sound your looking for. You just need some humbuckers.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by PeavyXXXman
Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen play metal on strats.

But a Strat isn't really good if you play Death Metal for example.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
but he never said he played death metal, did he? no. he only said he played metal. can be taken many ways. either way, john5 plays heavy metal on a tele. and it wasnt until after he recorded the album that he added a humbucker to the guitar guitar he recorded with.

anyways, like ugmung said, they are decent practice amps, despite overpriced. in my experience, the crunch channel is more like a second clean, the metal channel more like a crunch, and the insane more like a nicely driven metal tone, not so much an insane amount of gain.
besides, the common thing in metal these days is to scoop the mids, and thats just a bad idea. the guitar's natural frequency range is a middle freq instrument. cutting out all the mids is just not that smart. drive the mids and the highs, and leave the lows, well, low. gives more room in the mix for the bass player as well. in my experience, a drive channel on most amps sound better with a boosted mid curve than a cut one, or else it starts sounding kinda muddy, especially if you have to much bass in there. try using an eq pedal or something to remedy this (would probably work better in an effects loop, but i dont think spiders have them. i wouldnt know. i dont use line6 products).
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Turning down the bass will get rid of some of the mushyness. Turning up the mids will thicken your tone. Turning up the treble gives you more bite but less clarity so if you find that with the mids up and the bass down it's still too muddy then turn your treble down too.
Not taking any online orders.
also turn down the gain. i'm sure after a certain point on the gain knob, it only just gets more fizzy. so keep it lower than you normally do, and hopefully your notes will come through clearer.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by kumamilesbear
but he never said he played death metal, did he? no.

And I never said that ether. I was just making a point. and as you said. he just said he plays metal, witch can be a big range. but yeah you got it.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by mcrfobtai
The problem is the spider
You need a better amp

Well currently I just use it for practicing and the occasional jam with some friends so until I step up into gigging I don't want to waste cash on an upgraded practice amp or something.

Thanks whoever suggested lowering the bass, I usually play with it maxed out and decreasing it helped the notes come through better.

Now if only I could afford to buy another guitar with humbuckers
Oh and to settle the debate about the genre I don't really play death metal, more stuff along the lines of As I Dying, A7X, Disturbed, Metallica, and some lighter rock
1) Use the Insane setting.
2) Increase treble. it seems to sharpen things up for me.
3) Scoop mids A BIT. if you're playing with friends, don't scoop them too much, cause mids are what helps you cut through.

I don't play metal really, but this is what I do when i need to seperate the notes a bit for stuff by Wolfmother.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper