hey everyone. Well I just watched a melodic control video (marty friedman), and i'm kinda confused... I probably shouldn't have watched it now seeing i don't know much theory - but I did anyway

In it he seems to be emphasising that you should follow your improvising with the chords, but i'm not quite sure what he means exactly and yes i did watch it all. What is he changing when the chords change???

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the vid, it was pretty good!!!
If I remember correctly he is playing an arpeggio over each chord. You should learn theory though before improvising.
well, i do know some theory, just not as much as I would consider decent. I know basic sort of stuff like the major scale, pentatonic and about steps and stuff (tone, semitone). But i dunno, I kinda suck at improvising and phrasing in general.

But thanks anyway, I just realised that he was playing the arpeggios of each chord he's playing with or the relative minor sometimes i guess.
Quote by Flow of soul
If I remember correctly he is playing an arpeggio over each chord. You should learn theory though before improvising.

Yes, and no.

Friedman was playing arpeggios over each chord. In fact, he was playing an arpeggio that was in the same key as the chord underneath. But Friedman's larger, grander point was that if you allow yourself to hear the chord progression in your mind, you can play in the key of whatever the chord will be, thus exercising more (Melodic) control over what it is that you want to play. In conclusion, Marty Friedman should rejoin Megadeth, and Megadeth should do what Iron Maiden did and have 3 guitarists (OMG Mustaine[my hero], Broderick, and Friedman!!!!!)
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Quote by ~Max~
hey everyone. Well I just watched a melodic control video (marty friedman), and i'm kinda confused... I probably shouldn't have watched it now seeing i don't know much theory - but I did anyway

In it he seems to be emphasising that you should follow your improvising with the chords, but i'm not quite sure what he means exactly and yes i did watch it all. What is he changing when the chords change???

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the vid, it was pretty good!!!

Follow the chords with your improvising.

If you don't know much theory, this probably won't make much sense or mean anything when I say it but:

Say you have a I-IV-V progression in C: C-F-G

When you're improvising over it, you want to follow the changes (from C to F and from F to G). To do that, you try to think about the chord tones (the notes in the chords).

C: C, E, G
F: F, A, C
G: G, B, D

So you know the whole thing is in the key of C major so you'll probably solo over the progression with the C major scale. But to use the concept of "melodic control" you emphasize those specific chord tones when you're playing over the specific chord.

Using chord tones when soloing is a really "safe" thing to do. You can't go wrong with it because you're using the same notes in the rhythm so notes won't sound "weird" or "bad".

If that made sense, cool; if that didn't make sense, damn. Tis the best I can do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Thanks Metal4all or Sean as your sig says. That kinda made sense to me. So basically you just have to follow the chords by playing the notes that are in each chord.

I think I might go and learn some more theory.