K so I put new strings on my guitar. My friend comes over the next day and noticed that my guitar has a big gap between the higher frets then the lower frets... I think the lower are okay or the way they should be, but how do I lower this gap?

He said I have to adjust the truss rod or fix the action, but I have no clue how to do this properly. He doesn't know either he just thinks thats what I gotta do and I looked it up and he was right but couldn't find a good site how.

So I don't wanna damage my guitar and fiddle around trying to fix it unless I find a good site that explains to me how to do it. I was thinking about taking it to a professional at the guitar store but the thing is I don't have a guitar case, I cant find one for my guitar neither I've looked high and low its a Dean VX and they don't sell them here in Canada on musicians friend and the stores near my location don't sell them.

So I'm stuck guys I really need advice is their a site that can explain to me how I can fix the strings! Help is much appreciated!

EDIT: These are some Pictures I took, hopefully they are good enough if not let me know and I shall take more tonight!

First Fret

Sixth Fret

Twelfth Fret

Twelfth Fret Again

Nineteenth Fret

Sorry for the lame pictures but I am not so good with cameras. Hopefully these help though!
Last edited by Kash1333 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by Kahless
It would fit in a soft acoustic case, no?

The guitars too big to fit in most of the cases I've seen. I was looking at a jackson v case the other day but its way too small. =\
Gear:
Dean VX
Ovation Celebrity CC44 Electric Acoustic
VOX DA5
Yeah, your neck may be bowing inward or outward, can't tell by the description, it'd help if you supplied some pictures of the gap

edit: reread your post, sounds like the neck may be bowing away, if the action is ridiculously higher on the higher frets, a truss rod adjustment may be necessary
Last edited by silvadolla at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by silvadolla
Yeah, your neck may be bowing inward or outward, can't tell by the description, it'd help if you supplied some pictures of the gap

And a slight amount of neck bow is necessary to have correct intonation. The neck should not be perfectly straight.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sounds to me like you're friend and you need a little learning. Of course there should be less clearance under the strings at the 1st fret than at the 12th + frets. If the gap were the same along the length of the fretboard, you wouldn't be able to play the thing cuz it'd buzz so bad. Think about it.
You'll need a set up or a truss rod adjustment, it shouldn't be too expensive at a shop.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by LeftyDave
Sounds to me like you're friend and you need a little learning. Of course there should be less clearance under the strings at the 1st fret than at the 12th + frets. If the gap were the same along the length of the fretboard, you wouldn't be able to play the thing cuz it'd buzz so bad. Think about it.

Well I don't seem to have any buzzing problems.

I'll post pictures in a little bit, I'll have to borrow my brothers webcam.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Last edited by Kash1333 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by Flow of soul
Please take some pictures are post them here. It will allow us to help you alot better.

Pictures have been posted.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Quote by silvadolla

edit: reread your post, sounds like the neck may be bowing away, if the action is ridiculously higher on the higher frets, a truss rod adjustment may be necessary

I'd second to you dude. but Kash1333, dont u be messing w/ your truss rodjust like that. cranking it might slightly pop off your fret wires. Seek help from a nearest guitar shop or a dude that has the good knowledge and experience in fixing guitars.

sometimes, an adjustment on the bridge height can do the trick. that one, you can try first for yourself. But then again, think twice before doing the truss rod on your own.

good luck!!!
Quote by camotehead
I'd second to you dude. but Kash1333, dont u be messing w/ your truss rodjust like that. cranking it might slightly pop off your fret wires. Seek help from a nearest guitar shop or a dude that has the good knowledge and experience in fixing guitars.

sometimes, an adjustment on the bridge height can do the trick. that one, you can try first for yourself. But then again, think twice before doing the truss rod on your own.

good luck!!!

I was actually thinking of adjusting the bridge height. Should I just go with that?
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
Still need help with this guys.
Gear:
Dean VX
VOX DA5
All I see from those pics is that the gap under the strings get's progressivly larger as you go up the neck from the first fret. And your problem is what again? You do realize this is normal right? And It has to be this way or else you couldn't play the guitar. How much of a gap is a different story. That's an action setup item. Try this then report back:
Fret the low E string at the first fret and at the same time at the last fret where the neck attaches to the body of the guitar, whichever one that is on your guitar. The string is now a perfect straight edge lined up with the frets. There should be a slight bit of clearance under the string. You can hook it with a fingernail and tweak it to see if it makes any sound or not. It should not be hitting any of the frets in the middle area, around fret 8-9. If this is ok, you've just check your fretboard relief, which is a part of what the truss rod adjusts for.
As for action height, that's a personal preference.
If the guitar plays and sounds good, then don't worry about it.
Your setup is perfectly normal as said before.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1