Alright so I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere like if I wanted to see a good band the closest place in about an hour and half away from my house. Also my little dinky rink home town is like hick central USA. Everyone is all in to football and hunting and fishing and yes...NASCAR. All of those things sound like tools to make terrorist talk if you ask me. So the only other person and I can really play with if is my brother. Now my brother is very good better than me at solos and metal stuff. but the thing is that's all he wants to play. So like if I ask if he wants to jam or something it quickly turns into him improvsing a half hour solo while normally try to not lose my cool with it. When I ask him if we should shoot for a different genre he claims that everything else is boring/too easy. What should should I try to do? We're really tight as brother we to a ton of stuff together but not being to play guitars together is really annoying. Any ideas?
My Gear:
Fender SSH Strat
VOXAD50VT
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss Me-20
Boss PH-3
Line 6 FM-4
Boss DD-7 (With FS-5u)
Boss RC-20XL
Once I learned my theory all I would listen to was the most advanced metal (Opeth, Dream Theater). Eventually I realized that just because music is technically or theoretically more advanced doesn't make it better, look at Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), half his repertoire is in open chords in G, but he's still an amazing musician.

My advice would be to have your brother solo over something simple, but with lots of emotion. Learn the chords to While My Guitar Gently Weeps or Tangerine.

If emotion doesn't turn him, nothing will.

Good luck.
No offense, but your brother seems very narrow-minded. You have to find a way to get him to be impressed with other styles of music.

He may be very good at playing metal, but try getting him to play something like The Clap by Yes (which is no where near being metal, yet it is still extremely complicated). You need him to get involved with other genres and to appreciate all styles of music.

If he hates rap and/or hip-hop music, challenge him to write a decent song in that genre to see if he still think that genre of music is too easy. I'm not a big advocate of rap and/or hip-hop, but I do appreciate the hard work the is put into the creation of such music. You need to get your brother to appreciate other genres of music. Does he know music theory? Introduce him to jazz and see if he can handle that.

I'll admit it's a daunting task - especially if he is totally unwilling to cooperate. Try to find a happy medium between playing all metal and all other stuff. Sorry this isn't that big of a help - I basically told you everythign you already know.
Yeah we both know some theory we both had a really cool teacher. He likes to listen to other music but really like playing other music. I don't really get it he pratices stuff like protest the hero and other really fast difficult bands but most of the time he doesn't even own any songs from them just the powertabs. I'm to get him on the same page as me play laying stuff we both like but it normally doesn't work.

I think music is about all good it all sounds in the end if you have E A D thing or C F G I think that sounds great. Also I think my brother is only about how diffucult and fast you can make it and it makes jamming impossibe becuase he's whipp'n off crazy licks and I'm like "um... I thought we were doing some 90's alt sounding stuff?"
My Gear:
Fender SSH Strat
VOXAD50VT
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss Me-20
Boss PH-3
Line 6 FM-4
Boss DD-7 (With FS-5u)
Boss RC-20XL
Play. The. Blues. Because it's one genre that doesn't need fast licks to sound good. Take for example my dad and I. He plays acoustic bluegrass; I play rock. But we can still jam to the blues. It really improves your improv and your rhythm playing, because you will be forced to play both. That is, assuming he's willing to stop soloing for a minute and let you get some licks in.

Oh, and Tsunoyukami, it's called 'Clap', not 'The Clap'.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Play. The. Blues. Because it's one genre that doesn't need fast licks to sound good. Take for example my dad and I. He plays acoustic bluegrass; I play rock. But we can still jam to the blues. It really improves your improv and your rhythm playing, because you will be forced to play both. That is, assuming he's willing to stop soloing for a minute and let you get some licks in.

Oh, and Tsunoyukami, it's called 'Clap', not 'The Clap'.

I'm always confused because on the album it's called "The Clap", but apparently that was a misprint. Am I supposed to call it "Clap" as Steve Howe intended, but possibly get other people confused because the album says it is called "The Clap"?
Call it Clap. That's what Howe intended it to be, but Jon Anderson introduced it incorrectly live, causing the recording company to think that was the name of the song.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR