Ok well I know how to sweep, tap, I can alternate pick well, im good at hammer ons and pull offs, trilling (like buckethead).

But Ive always wanted to know how to like authentically shred.

Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSYQxJ1qTf8

bucketheads guitar hero version of jordan, at the part 2:05-2:22.

Sounds like lots of hammer ons and pull offs.

Ive also wanted to know how to shred like michael angelo batio.

A good example is in his quad guitar solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XfnkLdkjo

from 0:15-0:40

Maybe some good video suggestions that would help me accomplish mastering the classic shred would help too.

Thanks!

~GxT
speed kills
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Theory...and lots of it.

There's no point being able to play fast if you've got nothing interesting to say.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thats like saying how do i play classical guitar?
it is a type of playing not a simple thing to describe how to do.
you practice and figure out what sounds good.
practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.... and then some more practicing
a mixture of Reb Beach's tapping, with Zakk Wylde's pentatonic licks, with some bluesy stuff in the middle and of course, Ionian mode from Jeff Loomis.
half of you guys are being asses, im mainly asking for some helpful videos that describe how to do it. I can pick very fast, and I can move my fingers fast, but it sounds like ****. I dont know how to do those and still make it sound good.

I dont mind practicing but how the hell do I practice when I dont know WHAT to practice, im pretty much asking what I should practice to accomplish the classic shred.

I dont know what its called other than shred, what I need to look for in a video that describes it. I honestly dont know anything more than just tremelo picking then playing random notes on the strings.

It would be nice if you guys could describe what its actually called, any good videos that give a better description...
It's called Sweep Picking, just look it up. Once you know how to do it, you must practice for a very long time before it actually starts sounding like shredding. I been practicing it for maybe 3 months now and have not gotten it down.
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Theory, and lots of it.

Videos aren't going to be any help here, you need to improve your understanding of the instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Theory, and lots of it.

Videos aren't going to be any help here, you need to improve your understanding of the instrument.

+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Phantom-x
It's called Sweep Picking, just look it up. Once you know how to do it, you must practice for a very long time before it actually starts sounding like shredding. I been practicing it for maybe 3 months now and have not gotten it down.

if you actually read my post you would know that I can already sweep.

Thats not the shred im talking about -_-
does anyone know of a DVD that teaches you shredding and some theory? thanks, oh and I'd like it to be an intermediate DVD
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
coordination is what you're looking for. Practice just going up and down the fretboard, one fret at a time, 4 notes per string chromatically SLOW, and pick each note CLEANLY and ACCURATELY, with a consistent volume (preferably do this either unplugged or in a CLEAN amp). Do that at like 80 bpm. Then, slowly increase it as it becomes easier to to nail everything cleanly and at a consistent volume. That's the best way to do it. Or you can do it with various scales/modes; Pentatonic, Ionian, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, etc etc etc.
It sounds like yo do not know your theory. So I would first learn your major and minor scales and then the modes. Look into harmonic minor for the more classical esque sounding stuff. As you do that work on your chops. You can also figure out some shred artists songs and learn from waht they are doing.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Paul Gilbert did some Shred Masterclasses in Total Guitar magazine that came with a CD and they were very cool and helpful. You start off slow to get used to where the notes are at, once you can play each note perfect you up the tempo until you hit every note at that speed, then up the tempo once again.... keep repeating until you can do it really fast!! You also have to be able to keep up with your picking hand as it is easy to get lost with your picking at such high speeds and then it will sound messy if you start hitting other strings etc...

Its all about practise just like everything else!!

PS. I'm still trying lol!!
Quote by GuitaristTrue
if you actually read my post you would know that I can already sweep.

Thats not the shred im talking about -_-

I know what you're talking about. You want to be able to play extremely fast scalar runs. A book I'd recommend is Sheets of Sound for Guitar by Jack Zucker. There's so many patterns and exercises in there, you'll be bound to find something you like. For example, one of my favorite things in there is this cool hexatonic scale based on the 7th mode of G harmonic minor:

|------------------|-----------------8-|--10-11-8------------|------------------|
|------------------|----------7-8-10---|----------10-8-7-----|------------------|
|------------------|----5-7-8----------|-----------------8-7-|--5---------------|
|--------------4-5-|--7----------------|---------------------|----7-5-4---------|
|--------3-5-6-----|-------------------|---------------------|----------6-5-3---|
|--2-3-5-----------|-------------------|---------------------|----------------5-|

I've come up with some insane lines based on that scale.
In my opinion, if you can pick fast, move your fingers fast, but sound like crap, you've got Buckethead down pretty well.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by GuitaristTrue
ok well ill take that advice, although I have no idea what theory is, what is it exactly?

Music theory...it's what allows you to actually play the guitar as opposed to only copying other peoples stuff or playing random notes.

Google it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Eric 666
a mixture of Reb Beach's tapping, with Zakk Wylde's pentatonic licks, with some bluesy stuff in the middle and of course, Ionian mode from Jeff Loomis.

Ionian mode is the major scale. Just thought I'd tell you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Learn how to build chords
Learn about scales
Learn about chords progression and how they are related to the scales
Learn about the modes
Learn the notes of the fretboard
Practice/memorize your scales by playing improvisation on chords progression

That should give you a decent foundation to start doing some solos.

BTW, you can find all those lessons here in UG.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by GuitaristTrue
ok well ill take that advice, although I have no idea what theory is, what is it exactly?

You're kidding me. Do you not know any scales? No chords? Because that's basic theory right there. I can teach you some theory if you want, you can PM me if you'd like.
Quote by Eric 666
yeah I wasn't really sure what the name of it was, some kid told me it was Ionian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoH0AWJNv-k

Its what Tremonti does around 1:31 or so, i've seen Jeff Loomis use it quite a few times.

That's definitely Ionian. You can take licks based on the major scale to create different tonalities. For example, let's say you're playing over Gm. You could play a run like this, based on Eb major:

E-11-13-15-13-11----------------11-15-11-13-15-13-11-------------------------------------
B----------------15-13-11-13-15----------------------15-13-11----------------11-15-11-13-
G-------------------------------------------------------------13-12-10-12-13-------------
D----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E-------------------------------------------------------------------
B-15-13-11----------------------------------------------------------
G----------13-12-10----------------10-12-13-12-10-------------------
D-------------------13-12-10-12-13----------------13-12-10----------
A----------------------------------------------------------13-11-10-
E-------------------------------------------------------------------

And you'd get a Phrygian sound. If you played a similar run in F major, you'd have a Dorian sound. If you played a similar run in Bb major, you'd have an Aeolian (natural minor) sound. All sound pretty good over Gm, although they might not in the context of a song. For example, playing F major/G Dorian over Gm functioning as the vi chord in Bb major won't necessarily sound very good, although it might, if you don't lean too much on the E, which is a tritone above the root. You could use it to give it a kind of Lydian sound, though.

I'm not saying that Jeff Loomis doesn't use that lick Tremonti played, I'm just saying that I doubt he played it in the context of a major key.
Quote by steven seagull

...well you can never be too careful on teh intarwebz
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.