Page 1 of 2
Okay so my Drummer likes to download music from limewire, and frostwire.

Okay first things first, those are illegal downloads right? I mean he's not paying for them.

Second, do you think its right for a musician to Illegally download music? It makes no sense to me.
Yes, and yes.

It's legal in Canada, so I do it all the time. Who cares if you download? The bands only get like.... a small portion of the actual money from the sales, majority goes to the label.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Musicians are obviously exempt from the law.
/facepalm
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Thanks, he was trying to convince me frostwire was legal, I said How? he says "it has a licence"

I was like "If YOU dont pay money its illegal" so he says, "somone already payed for it though."

another way I tried to get him to stop was saying "Say our band makes some songs, we sell them, one person buys, we got some money, he puts it online, people download, over and over....we get that small amount of money from one person, rather than however many download."
Since when do drummers have morals?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Limewire? *scoffs*
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

i consider it stealing from the rich and giving to the poor haha your only really screwing the record label, if i really dig the music i buy there shirts or go to a concert, in that scenario more money goes to the musician
The Dude abides
Quote by Enihs
Thanks, he was trying to convince me frostwire was legal, I said How? he says "it has a licence"

I was like "If YOU dont pay money its illegal" so he says, "somone already payed for it though."

another way I tried to get him to stop was saying "Say our band makes some songs, we sell them, one person buys, we got some money, he puts it online, people download, over and over....we get that small amount of money from one person, rather than however many download."

For the record, Frostwire and Limewire are the exact same programs, just a different look.

I tested this by downloading with Limewire, uninstalling it, getting Frostwire, and I found that my library had the music I downloaded prior to getting Frostwire.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Chrisiphone

Since when do they h ave brains more like
Quote by Colgate Total
For the record, Frostwire and Limewire are the exact same programs, just a different look.

I tested this by downloading with Limewire, uninstalling it, getting Frostwire, and I found that my library had the music I downloaded prior to getting Frostwire.

Really? I'll get him with that, because he thinks Limewire is illegal, and frostwire isnt.
According to Kid Rock we should steal everything so let your friend steal whatever he wants
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
Quote by legiondairy
Since when do they h ave brains more like

Exactly! I mean anyone can slam some sticks on some drums!
Technically it is P2P file sharing. Limewire, Frostwire and .torrent sharing are no more morally wrong than burning a CD from a friend. Yes, I guess it's illegal, but I don't see why. Yes, if you burn a CD and sell it, that is wrong, but I don't think file sharing should be illegal. It is illegal though so...
Quote by Enihs

so then by your logic, it's illegal to listen to a cd you borrowed from a friend because YOU didn't pay for it..is that any different?
Sig space available, give me some praise
Like south park said, u should get the money from live performing. All the downloading serves as advertisement and for people to get to know all your songs better, otherwise you're in it just for the money.
And frostwire is legal, it's most of the files that are shared through it that are illegal
For the record limewire and frostwire are terrible programs and please tell him to get a better torrent program like utorrent. As for the actual issue the musicians get very little from the albums in terms of money. They earn money when they go on tour. I personally have no problem stealing money from record companies. Especially Roadrunner.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by zamir666
its just something people cant control. no matter how much u try, people will still download music illegally.

Exactly, kind of like Marijuana.
I buy all my music. Its not really because I see downloading as horribly wrong (its is immoral though), I just enjoy having the CD, band art and the better quality audio. I love going to Zavvi, buying a few albums and then listening to them when I get home. Call me crazy for paying when I don't need to, but hey...
You should be making money performing, not through CDs and downloads online. Those are tools to promote your band, and have people come see you play live.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by Enihs

Okay first things first, those are illegal downloads right? I mean he's not paying for them.

Second, do you think its right for a musician to Illegally download music? It makes no sense to me.

Drummers aren't musicians
It makes perfect sense, because you're not stealing from a musicians, you're stealing from a faceless corporate oligarchy who exploits the hard-working musicians you love for obscene profit.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

some time over the past two weeks, i decided that i'm going to try to not download music or movies anymore. regardless of who gets most of the money, i still consider it stealing, and i feel really guilty about it now whenever i download. however, if my friends download music, i really have no problem at all with that; i just won't do it. i'm hoping i get a job soon; if i do, i want to start buying my CDs; i'll probably download most of them off of Amazon, since that's pretty cheap, and iTunes doesn't have everything.

EDIT: first post after 45-day ban. it's good to be back.
Quote by Enihs

CAN YOU STFU WITH THESE THREADS!

WHO ****ING CARE!
Quote by herman ri2
CAN YOU STFU WITH THESE THREADS!

WHO ****ING CARE!

What?
download a cd without playing is comparable to going to the music store and steal a cd

except its easier to download it
Quote by ross1234
so then by your logic, it's illegal to listen to a cd you borrowed from a friend because YOU didn't pay for it..is that any different?

according to the record companies, yes
According to your morals it is wrong, but not the drummer's, and especially not mine since I don't use bootleg **** like Limewire.
drummers

srsly though: no its not right

musicians should respect each other by buying other musicians music, not stealing it

unfortunatly most musicians are skint
Quote by Chrisiphone

uh that would be since NEVER!!!
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
still though, it seems pretty counter-productive to just steal the music. i realize you do just want people to hear you, but after a while, "the starving artist" image comes to mind. i purchase music and support bands and artists i like, because if i were in their shoes, that's what i would want.
Page 1 of 2