I have a Boss SD-1 that I bought a couple months ago as a boost to my JCM900. I wanted to get some more distortion out of it, and have something to change the tone a little with for solos. It's been doing an alright job, but I still with I could get a little more gain out of it. I have the gain knobs on my Marshall both set to 10, and I keep the distortion knob on my pedal around 5/6. Now I dont know if its because I havent gotten to try it with my amp cranked yet (my amp hasnt went over about 3), but I'm still not getting much more distortion out of it.

I've been thinking about an MXR Distortion +, and my question is, would I be able to get more distortion out of one of these than out of my SD-1? I play alot of 80's era heavy metal (bright, high-gain with lots of lead, not like today's low, heavy, sounds like you're playing in drop F tuning), and I like a really Randy Rhoads type tone. Heres a link to me playing through my Marshall Valvestate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj2jKOA0MdY . I like that tone I have there alot, but with my JCM900 I just cant seem to get that much gain out of it, even with my SD-1.

Sorry to make this too long, my overall question is will I be able to get more of a sound I'm looking for better out of a Distortion + than out of an SD-1?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
u could always send ths sd-1 in to a modding company. This will definitely give the pedal some more distortion
i recconmend an keeley mod
www.robertkeeley.com
Last edited by prsrulz91 at Aug 2, 2008,
the electro harmonix metal muff has a "boost" button that does pretty much that, very well. and the regular distortion out of it is classic high gain, which may or may not mesh well with your amp, but I have one and I like it, it's worth a try I think.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
I think you're using it wrong:

To boost your amp, put the drive/distortion/gain on the pedal to close to 0 and the volume up high, close to 10.

You don't want the pedal to add it's own distortion, just use it to push your amp harder. This will make the amp create more distortion.

If you already knew that, or are just wanting to use it that way anyway, then ignore me. That's just how most people use OD pedals with tube amps
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Thanks for the advice, I hadnt tried it that way. I think I set it at zero when I first got it and then brought it up according to testing out how it sounded at different levels, but I figured that more distortion on the pedal would lead to more overall distortion. Maybe that'll help, I'll have to pay more attention to how it sounds next time I try it.

EDIT - Does the level going up on the pedal act kind of like an attenuator, making the amp push harder without going up very much in volume? Haha sorry if that was confusing, but I never thought of it that way. It does get extremely noisy when the level is up though, but it prabobly wouldnt be an issue if my amp was at show-level volume, noone would hear the buzz.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Last edited by LastCaress88 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by LastCaress88
Thanks for the advice, I hadnt tried it that way. I think I set it at zero when I first got it and then brought it up according to testing out how it sounded at different levels, but I figured that more distortion on the pedal would lead to more overall distortion. Maybe that'll help, I'll have to pay more attention to how it sounds next time I try it.

EDIT - Does the level going up on the pedal act kind of like an attenuator, making the amp push harder without going up very much in volume? Haha sorry if that was confusing, but I never thought of it that way. It does get extremely noisy when the level is up though, but it prabobly wouldnt be an issue if my amp was at show-level volume, noone would hear the buzz.

The level knob is a volume knob essentially. I dunno why they say level, but oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by LastCaress88

Sounds like you need a noise gate (ISP Decimator works very well)

And yeah, if I understand you right then that is how it works, basically.

To be honest, I haven't been able to test it out that much because a) I haven't got a proper OD/boost pedal and b) I can't turn my amp loud enough to really bother with it. This is just stuff I've picked up from reading the forums for a long time.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.