Hey fellas' I'm kind of heart broken financially. Here's my situation. I've spent my entire summer working my ass off in construction related work. I had already come to the conclusion that I'm saving all of this money, working the next two summers, and buying a killer car when I'm 16. Cars and music are my two passions, sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't. Right now they're not the best of friends. I've already spent $200 on a Ibanez that I got a killer deal on but now GAS is getting the best of me. My amp shit the bed and I really need a tube amp anyways. I'm still able to play guitar but I can't really work on any songs/heavier music.

The deal is, I've told my boss just to keep my money that I've earned until the end of the summer so I can't spend it. But I'm in some serious need of equipment.. and I want a kickass car. If I were to dip into my funds I would still have some money to save for a car, but I'd be out 600-800 bucks and that's a lot of money. So I really need some good advice. No jackass comments please. I know there are a ton of guys on here who love cars so please guide me on what I should do. Much appreciated.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
lol, I hope your keeping track of what he ows you, cuase If I was your boss I'd try to keep as much of your cash as possible.
You should have just gotten a savings account.

EDIT:
More on topic, buy yourself a nice amp.
Everyone knows musical equipment>reliable transportation

also, when your looking at buying a car just keep insurance in mind if your going to be paying for it yourself, I have to pay 1200 a year on cheap '99 saturn, so if you get a nice car your bill could be double that or more
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Last edited by HLrocker at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by HLrocker
lol, I hope your keeping track of what he ows you, cuase If I was your boss I'd try to keep as much of your cash as possible.
You should have just gotten a savings account.

He's my brother.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
classic 30's are only like 400 bucks used. I got mine for 3, and it's a pretty nice tube amp.

as far as the car, good luck. or buy a motorcycle. that's what I'd do.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Remember, with a kickass car will be ass kicking insurance. If you want good advice, dont buy a kickass car at 16. I would have loved to buy a really great car instead of the 95 Grand Prix that I just bought, but it really wouldnt have been worth it. Had I bought a more expensive car, all my insurance money saved would be gone and unless I started working almost full-time, I wouldnt even have been able to drive it because I wouldnt be able to pay for it's insurance and even gas. At 16, noones really gonna care if you have a Ferrari. Some people may try to get rides with you, but if you think it's gonna be like it is in the movies, it's not. You wont be the most popular kid at school and what do you really need a kickass car with when you're 16?

If you're serious about guitar, then take the money out. If it's just a hobby, or something you dont plan on pursuing, then it's prabobly not a good idea to spend $800 on a guitar or amp, especially considering the situation you're in.

All that being said, its your money and you said you've been working hard for it, so you spend it on whatever you want. Just take the fact that a really expensive car would be overkill at 16, plus all the other costs that go along with a car.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
who cares about a car..for now just get a crappy one and buy a better one when you're older. why do you need a good car at 16 anyways?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I'm not saying I want a car for hook ups and popularity. I want a nice car because I love cars. It's probably going to be a truck anyways. And a reliable truck is extremely practical for what I'm going to be using it for.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
It is a constant trade off my friend. We can't make these kinds of decisions for you. You could always try to get a second job, like cutting the grass or something, to create an amp fund.

I need a new truck! Unfortunately, that prohibits me from buying some of the gear I would like to have.

GAS for gear
GAS for truck

gear is a hobby for me and truck is transportation to job with money for gear gas.

^Edit - we just posted at the same time. I'm getting a Silverado or Suburban not sure yet.

^^Edit - you can't carry an amp on a motorcycle. Guitars are dangerous too.
PS: I'm not saying not to get an amp but it is your decision.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 2, 2008,
How much money do you have? Used Hondas are really nice. I mean yeah they arnt a mustang, but mine has 215000 miles and still runs like a dream, and she was only $800. The only thing ive had to do was replace a couple flat tires(long story involving me taking a turn way to fast, loosing control and ending up backwards in a ditch)

As for the amp, I may have a solution. Guitar Rig is amazing software, but you have to have a somewhat decent computer to run it ($2000 Mac Book Pro, uses about 30% of my CPU) and you need an interface, which can be found on eBay for less than $100. The software itself isnt terribly expensive, about what you would pay for a nice SS modeling amp. But if your feeling froggy, ThePirateBay has it for free... but thats illegal.
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
If you love cars and music, figure out which one is more important. If you mean a nice car/truck as in something thats reliable and wont run down on you, then thats prabobly a good idea. I dont know how much money you have saved up, but a reliable truck can be found for maybe $4000, prabobly even cheaper. It doesnt have to be new and it may not have great looks, but you need to look around. Buy it from someone you know if you can, but if not then EXPECT people to try and **** you over with selling you a car. Not everyone will do it, but the majority does.

If you mean a nice car as in a FerrariF430, a car that just looks awesome and hits 220mph (exaggerating, obviously), dont bother. You'll be wasting your money if you buy this at 16.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Truthfully I was pondering a Mclaren F1
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Get a kick ass car with the best stereo ever and then plug into it with a guitar processor like the digitech rp and voila both problems solved.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Haha I cant really tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm thinking your are, but if you're not, where are you gonna drive that thing to get your moneys worth? Unless youre in Germany and riding the Autobahn everyday, dont buy that. Insurance will cost more than the truck you shouldve bought, and it'll get stolen. Thats way too nice of a car to be a 1st car. I know you said you've been working hard to save up, but unless you're holding the world on your shoulders, I dont think anyones been working hard enough to have that at 16.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
stick with guitar. 16 is too young to have your own car (in my opinion anyways.) I'm almost 20 and I'm in uni so I don't have money for a car but you can buy a lot of gear for just gas money for a car. Cars are waaayy more expensive down the road when you have to maintain them and stuff.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?