well i just thought of something that i never realized
i was originally looking to the jcm 2000's and 800's, and than got pointed into the direction of the 900, because of the better cleans, more features, and more gain etc.
and i played the 2000 to rule out the amp, and i have to say the od was really quite bad (it was the combo, i know the combo is worse than the head version)
but it was intensely muddy at high any levels
so i was wondering how was is the 900 overdrive compared to the 2000?
and i mean channels too
gain levels similar?
is there the muddiness?
is the 900 a little modernly voiced?
thanks and sorry for the wall of text
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well, I have a 2 channel jcm 800 and I can say with all honesty it is the best overdriven amp I've ever heard, I have heard mixed things about the 900 especially regarding its overdrive, I've heard its a bit thin and muddy but I've never tried one myself
I prefer my amp overdrive (jcm900 4102) to my mate's amp overdrive (TSL100).

I've not tried them side by side at gig volumes but I preferred my amp with an ESP Viper to his amp and a Gibson Les Paul, and that's for hard rock tones, not metal.

With an overdrive pedal the OD channel, the jcm900 sounds fantastic. It's a bit lacking on it's own but with even a bad monkey (gain 0 level 10) it sounds really nice.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I prefer my amp overdrive (jcm900 4102) to my mate's amp overdrive (TSL100).

I've not tried them side by side at gig volumes but I preferred my amp with an ESP Viper to his amp and a Gibson Les Paul, and that's for hard rock tones, not metal.

With an overdrive pedal the OD channel, the jcm900 sounds fantastic. It's a bit lacking on it's own but with even a bad monkey (gain 0 level 10) it sounds really nice.

ah sweet i have a tubescreamer
i would get the 800 but cleans, lack of features, (reverb, effects loop etc.) as well as the less gain
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
dood a jcm900 with a little push from a middy overdrive (tubescreamer or other...i use a mxr boost/od from Custom audio electronics) will sear so amazingly...really amazing distortion with fullness and powerful mids...people bash it cause it has a clipping diode in the preamp....
PEOPLE a clipping diode BEFORE the 3 preamp tubes is just like an OD pedal before the 3 preamp tubes!!! just like pushing ur amp....only thing is sometimes i think it isnt voice right (eq wise) SOOOOOO u either give it a mid bump with a sweet od pedal....OOOOORR get it modded....one simple capacitor change in the preamp to give it more mids
People bash the trebles too and that it has no end....LISTEN i have my bass on 5 on the eq which is shared between channels. If i go up to about 2.5/10 volume on the clean channel every loose item in my room shakes when i play my 3 lowest strings...ya dig? on the od u dont hear its true self unless u go past 2/10 volume....thats the point where u no longer need a od pedal. SEARING OD with massive low and top end and lots of low mids (makes me think i m playing a mesa or peavey sometimes) and extremely tight. the only thing is that without a pedal its a little scooped meaning something only a good eq pedal/rack can fix or a middy od pedal
i love this amp death to those who say its **** cause they havent heard it
I don't think the 2 channel jcm800s sound that impressive, the one channel 2203/2204 are much better sounding amps. I also think the jcm2000 dsl line sounds a lot better than the jcm900. You can't really judge the line based on the dsl 401, while its not bad by any stretch, it doesn't really compare to its bigger brothers. The jcm900 is voiced more for modern metal and alt. rock, I think they lack the balls of a single channel metal panel jmp (the 2203/2204), but they have a lot more gain, if that's what you're into.

Just my opinion:

1) metal panel JMP (or early JCM800) 2203/2204
2) JCM2000 DSL 50/100
3) JCM900 Mk III
4) JCM2000 TSL or JCM900 Dual Reverb

Of course I'd take a plexi panel JMP or JTM45 over all of those, but that's just me.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 12, 2008,
Meh

I hate the sound of the JCM2000s now... so tinny and unorganic
have you considered getting something other than a marshall?
ok man i d suggest everyone to try the amps before talking( dont know if u have... i m just saying what i "felt" and hear)

jcm900 is mainly a hi gain amp with beautiful silky yet warm cleans...think fender cleans but not so trebly.....now on od channel i have to say tho a bit grainy (think Ashes of the Wake from Lamb of God) yet stays SOOOOOO tight. of course the amp has to be crancked so EVERYTHING i say is assuming the volume is over 2.5/10 and i m talking about the 100w 112 combo. cleans are amazing for me...od is a bit scooped but like i said above...just push it with a GOOD pedal and u ll love the tone. reverb is amazing btw and goes perfect with clean and gives leads that extra "taste" for soloing!

NOOOOOOWW for those who say that its just either clean or really hi gain they are wrong...when cranked( or with a middy pedal on lower volume) u keep the gain hi where u want it for ur solos/hi gain sound THEN u control the amount of gain with the guitar volume. With the SD jazz in my rr3 i can get bluesy tones at lower (guitar) volumes and with the SD JB u can nail country rock, classic rock tones (think acdc).

its just an amp with its own personality but it takes pedals very well for at lower volumes and when its past 2-2.5/10 volume....its all on its own from there
+1 totally agree. Even the folks at the Marshall forums normally prefer the DSL 50/100 to the 900.

Starting with the 2205 (dual channel) series amps contained more pre-amp gain than ever thanks to a new innovation; diode clipping. This meant a solid state diode added additional distortion to the signal path, akin to adding a distortion pedal. This practice of diode clipping ended ... due to not so happy folks. But many people do prefer the 2203/4 because of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Amplification

Quote by al112987
I don't think the 2 channel jcm800s sound that impressive, the one channel 2203/2204 are much better sounding amps. I also think the jcm2000 dsl line sounds a lot better than the jcm900. You can't really judge the line based on the dsl 401, while its not bad by any stretch, it doesn't really compare to its bigger brothers. The jcm900 is voiced more for modern metal and alt. rock, I think they lack the balls of a single channel metal panel jmp (the 2203/2204), but they have a lot more gain, if that's what you're into.

Just my opinion:

1) metal panel JMP (or early JCM800) 2203/2204
2) JCM2000 DSL 50/100
3) JCM900 Mk III
4) JCM2000 TSL or JCM900 Dual Reverb

Of course I'd take a plexi panel JMP or JTM45 over all of those, but that's just me.
Quote by damnedone
+1 totally agree. Even the folks at the Marshall forums normally prefer the DSL 50/100 to the 900.

but that's probably due to the fact that it doesn't give that Marshall sound.

you can dial one in with work but it doesn't really sound like the traditional marshall tone to me.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i disagree with that and obviously u need to learn ur terms...diode clipping is not the same of solid state clipping....solid state is transistors...so yeah jsut clearing that up.....
now to clear somehting else up. traditional marshall lovers (jcm800 and jtms) do not like the jcm900 because it is a modern guitar amp with hi gain tones...not brown noise amps that overdrive the louder they get....jcm900 uses a clipping diode BEFORE the signal path and is identical to what many guitarists do: diode(pedal)---->preamp---->poweramp--->speaker

SIMPLE!!! not solid state....diode...just liek a low gain od pedal built into the amps preamp(BEFORE THE TUBES)

soooo...this means a traditional brown noise (traditional marshall) isnt available without playing with ur guitar volume....i can tell u sounds i can get....from bluesy bb king to lynyrd skynyrd....from acdc to richie blackmore and when u piss the amp of from metallica megadeth to lamb of god and cob....a very versatile amp....ALOT more versatile then ur everyday marshall....people diss this amp cause it doesnt get the 10/10 for classic rock sounds like marshall is known for....but this amp can get at least a 8 in almost all sounds and for me has a 9 for tight hi gain and 9 in the cleans department which goes from jazzy to bluesy when cranked(no diode on clean channel)

thats the jcm900...just not ur everyday marshall...a modern more versatile marshall that lacks just a bit in what marshalls normally do...its made for hi gain metal and beautiful cleans...thats it
Lets see, U need to learn your terms...I left a link from where my information came from.

Quote by georgakis187
i disagree with that and obviously u need to learn ur terms...diode clipping is not the same of solid state clipping....solid state is transistors...so yeah jsut clearing that up.....
now to clear somehting else up. traditional marshall lovers (jcm800 and jtms) do not like the jcm900 because it is a modern guitar amp with hi gain tones...not brown noise amps that overdrive the louder they get....jcm900 uses a clipping diode BEFORE the signal path and is identical to what many guitarists do: diode(pedal)---->preamp---->poweramp--->speaker

SIMPLE!!! not solid state....diode...just liek a low gain od pedal built into the amps preamp(BEFORE THE TUBES)

soooo...this means a traditional brown noise (traditional marshall) isnt available without playing with ur guitar volume....i can tell u sounds i can get....from bluesy bb king to lynyrd skynyrd....from acdc to richie blackmore and when u piss the amp of from metallica megadeth to lamb of god and cob....a very versatile amp....ALOT more versatile then ur everyday marshall....people diss this amp cause it doesnt get the 10/10 for classic rock sounds like marshall is known for....but this amp can get at least a 8 in almost all sounds and for me has a 9 for tight hi gain and 9 in the cleans department which goes from jazzy to bluesy when cranked(no diode on clean channel)

thats the jcm900...just not ur everyday marshall...a modern more versatile marshall that lacks just a bit in what marshalls normally do...its made for hi gain metal and beautiful cleans...thats it
WTF??

Quote by Lemoninfluence
but that's probably due to the fact that it doesn't give that Marshall sound.

you can dial one in with work but it doesn't really sound like the traditional marshall tone to me.
wikipedia is made by users....i work in a guitar tech shop not to like say that i know more or less its not about that....tubes work in triode or pentode ussually as far as i know. diode are alot smaller and light-bulb looking...they look like christmas lights but even smaller i m sure u know what a transistor looks like and it doenst look liek a diode just take it from me...jcm900 has no solid state components....just what i said: DIODE( just like in a tubescreamer)---->preamp----->poweramp---->speaker....if u wanna go by terms a tubescreamer has more transistor components(tho not transistors per se) as it has chips circuits in it. these are all facts my friend
Quote by damnedone
WTF??

the jcm900 doesn't sound like the traditional marshall.

you can get an approximation of 'the marshall sound' with it, but it's nowhere near the 'real thing'.

Quote by element4433
I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!! it doenst u can get close but only at high volumes and dialin the guitar volume back sounds acdc-ish and deep purple-ish for me!

like mostly i think it sounds more like a mesa....darker than a marshall but still with a hint of brightness and very tight as i ve said like 1035858390930 times in this thread.

and i love it! u can all hate but i love it
To me the Jcm 2000 Dsl 100 and a Jcm 900 sound similar on the Od channels, i like the 900 a tad bit more, but the cleans on the 2000 were better ( imo)
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Ok, JCM 900 Dual Reverb user.

Love this ****er. Loud as hell, ****ing orgasmic cleans (with right settings & guitar), great OD channel. Remember, the louder it is, the better it sounds.

For all of you who think that a 900 can't get that classic Marshall roar, turn up the gain on your Dual Reverb's clean channel and crank that volume.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
TS, where do you live?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Sendrith
Ok, JCM 900 Dual Reverb user.

Love this ****er. Loud as hell, ****ing orgasmic cleans (with right settings & guitar), great OD channel. Remember, the louder it is, the better it sounds.

For all of you who think that a 900 can't get that classic Marshall roar, turn up the gain on your Dual Reverb's clean channel and crank that volume.

i agree fully...what hes trying to say is that channel A (clean) is much liek a traditional marshall ( no modern-ness due to no diode in the signal path). in my jcm900 i have jj el-34l tubes and like he said...just turn that volume up on teh clean channel with gain about 75% of the way...kills!

thats one way to get a traditional marshall sound. the other like i said before is to have ur super hi gain sound on the channel b and PEOPLE JUST ROLL THE GUITAR VOLUME DOWN! it does wonders especially for basically all music except metal anyhoos for me its an amp that has great capabilities as a marshall amp ( maybe 80-90% of other more "traditional" marshalls) and a very marshall-mesa type sound for hi gain...think metallica when they slaved mesas into marshall power amps! that and an amazing clean sound is what ever metal lover wants a killer distortion channel and an amazing clean tone...AND ABOVE THAT: it can get very decent marshally sounds

SORRY I ALWAYS WRITE SO MUCH! but people diss this amp for no reason saying its half solid state and what not and its not true its a great amp and they ll be worth alot in 10 years trust me INVEST!
Quote by georgakis187
i agree fully...what hes trying to say is that channel A (clean) is much liek a traditional marshall ( no modern-ness due to no diode in the signal path). in my jcm900 i have jj el-34l tubes and like he said...just turn that volume up on teh clean channel with gain about 75% of the way...kills!

thats one way to get a traditional marshall sound. the other like i said before is to have ur super hi gain sound on the channel b and PEOPLE JUST ROLL THE GUITAR VOLUME DOWN! it does wonders especially for basically all music except metal anyhoos for me its an amp that has great capabilities as a marshall amp ( maybe 80-90% of other more "traditional" marshalls) and a very marshall-mesa type sound for hi gain...think metallica when they slaved mesas into marshall power amps! that and an amazing clean sound is what ever metal lover wants a killer distortion channel and an amazing clean tone...AND ABOVE THAT: it can get very decent marshally sounds

SORRY I ALWAYS WRITE SO MUCH! but people diss this amp for no reason saying its half solid state and what not and its not true its a great amp and they ll be worth alot in 10 years trust me INVEST!

Old does not mean it will be worth a lot. Pre-1970 Marshall's are worth a lot because they (JTM45, JTM50, '66 Super100, '67-'68 Superlead, 1987s or JMP50s) are considered holy grails of rock. Outside of those, you can buy just about any vintage Marshalls for under $2000.
Quote by al112987
Old does not mean it will be worth a lot. Pre-1970 Marshall's are worth a lot because they (JTM45, JTM50, '66 Super100, '67-'68 Superlead, 1987s or JMP50s) are considered holy grails of rock. Outside of those, you can buy just about any vintage Marshalls for under $2000.

+1. Look at JCM 800's, they've been out for over 20 years, they go for £500/$1000 USD on eBay. And the reissues are about £850/$1700 USD new.

I can guarantee that in ten years, my JCM 2000 won't be worth too much.
well i got my jcm900 combo for 400 eur i m sure theres no way i ll make a sale under that so its profit for me not that i m selling any time soon...maybe when i m a vegetable or something
Quote by Highwaytohell
Meh

I hate the sound of the JCM2000s now... so tinny and unorganic
have you considered getting something other than a marshall?

Thats why god created mods........... Check out this clip of a dsl modded by fja mods. BTW this mod would cost you the same amount of money as if you were going to by a tubescreamer and digital delay......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr3T4mjXu3I
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
yeah i m thinking of MAYBE modding my jcm900 for some more high frequency mids and a switch to activate this voicing sad thing is i live in holland and i dont know where to go
That FJA Mod does sound nice. Honestly my stock DSL50 sounds fine and certainly not "tinny" at all. Especially the Green Channel - which is most awesome. I think the Mod would be nice for the high gain channels - but I never really use them.

Quote by JaredFace
Thats why god created mods........... Check out this clip of a dsl modded by fja mods. BTW this mod would cost you the same amount of money as if you were going to by a tubescreamer and digital delay......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr3T4mjXu3I
Hey guys, Im thinking of buying a Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb Hi Gain. Its availble for about $350. Ill mostly play in my bedroom. Can you get good distortion on it at low volumes aswell? (Think Thrice, Rise Against)
I was surprised when I tried the amps out that I liked the 2000 more, even though the 900 generally gets better reviews.

The DSL combo is absolutely dire though. Go head.
My alternative is solid state amps, like Peavey Vypyr or Fender Super Champ. Would you rather buy one of those?