play the guitar. i wasn't sure which forum to put this in so why not the pit?

so anyways my friend is horrible at the guitar. do you have any tips/advice on what to teach and how?

i was thinking starting with a really easy 2 chord song. (horse with no name, about a girl) or something

help!
don't teach them songs, try the cycle of 4ths and teach them scales, and chord shapes,

so they know their cycle of 5ths, and they know what root note of the chord is, and then they just place the chord position around the root note.

Cycle of 5ths or 4ths can't remember :P but it's on the 5th and 6th string, and the wee rhyme for it is "Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle"

and C has no sharps, G has 1 sharp which is F sharp, D has two sharps with is F# and G# etc etc

and it's the same backwards for flats :P

"Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father"

C has no flats du du du (etc)
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Last edited by Scrubs at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by METALLICAFAN77
Yeah man. No songs.....I started that way and within the past year I just started learning actual theory.

Teach him Chords and Scales....providing you know them yourself

+1
ಠ_ಠ
You need to teach him something simple just so he stays interested... theory is really important but gets overwhelming if that's all you do starting out. Just teach him G-C-D and let him play along with about a bazzilllion songs.
blink 182

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Don't teach him scales and loads of chords yet. Teach him the major chords and learn songs. Make it fun for him otherwise he won't want to learn.
TRANSFORMICE

find out what style he likes teach him the basics, major chords and simple scales i say. (depending on how bad he is). I started learning songs and it was hard all it was is dump memorization i couldn't make my own stuff till i learned chords, scales, etc.
Teach him theory and stuff if you can. Don't force it on him though; if he is bored, teach him songs or something because otherwise he won't want to even touch a guitar.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Scrubs
don't teach them songs, try the cycle of 4ths and teach them scales, and chord shapes,

so they know their cycle of 5ths, and they know what root note of the chord is, and then they just place the chord position around the root note.

Cycle of 5ths or 4ths can't remember :P but it's on the 5th and 6th string, and the wee rhyme for it is "Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle"

and C has no sharps, G has 1 sharp which is F sharp, D has two sharps with is F# and G# etc etc

and it's the same backwards for flats :P

"Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles' Father"

C has no flats du du du (etc)

To somebody who sucks at guitar, that information is worthless. They won't be able to able to apply any of it without proper technique, so they'll end up getting frustrated and want to quit. Just teach them songs.
If someone would have told me I had to learn chords and scales, and no songs, I wouldn't have bothered learning. I wanted to play other people's music. I don't really regret it. I have loads of time to catch up on theory. If I even want to.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Teach him songs that he can like show off to his friends and stuff even tho it isn't that hard.

Cool trick's etc. ***Make sure you correct allllll of the bad habits, or he will murder you 3 years from now***

make sure you get a good balance of learning chords, site reading (if your gonna.) theory and excercising.

I am an example of an unbalanced player...I have great dexterity and sheet music reading....relatively poor chord and theory knowledge.

And teach improvising.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.