I just picked up a dual recto head for $850.00. And the guy I bought it from has never replaced the tubes. (he has had it for 3 1/2 years) I would like to replace them and was wondering if the rectifier tubes should be replaced also if the silicon diode was being used instead of them?

Also he said the master volume didn't work right if you didn't have the effects loop turned on. But according to what I'm reading in the Manual. That's how it's supposed to work. Am I wrong in thinking the manuals right? And he just never read it.

Also by replacing the tubes will this help quiet the hum. Or should I get a noise gate?

Sorry for the wall of text but Mesas are new to Me! Thanks in advance.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Hi! I'm having that same general issue. I got my dual rectifier head a few months back, the tubes had not been replaced but by the same token they were never really used either. I'm wanting to get the thing sounding as good as possible, but this is in fact my first tube amp. I've checked around the forum a bit to see if there was a comprehensive guide to tubes, but none that I came across really answered my questions. I'm looking for something that will produce clear, crunchy distorted tones that tend to the higher pitches. Any ideas?
Where on earth did you get a Dual Rectifier head for $850? I can barely manage to locate Single Rectos/Rectoverbs for that much...

Every Dual Recto on Craigslist in my entire state goes for at least $1100.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by whiteraven119
Where on earth did you get a Dual Rectifier head for $850? I can barely manage to locate Single Rectos/Rectoverbs for that much...

I bought it off a guy on craigslist in Ohio. I've been scouring that sight mash on jaxed.com twice a day for the last month! The guy selling it was moving to Alaska and couldn't ship it so he priced it to sell. Needless to say I couldn't get it fast enough!

As far as my replacement tubes I'm thinking dougstubes.com he seems to have these Mesas figured out as far as pre-amp replacements.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
I bought it off a guy on craigslist in Ohio. I've been scouring that sight mash on jaxed.com twice a day for the last month! The guy selling it was moving to Alaska and couldn't ship it so he priced it to sell. Needless to say I couldn't get it fast enough!

As far as my replacement tubes I'm thinking dougstubes.com he seems to have these Mesas figured out as far as pre-amp replacements.
I congratulate you on your deal, then, sir. I know I'd jump on that kind of deal in a heartbeat.