Hi. I am going to fix up a junk guitar, and I want to make some noise-rock/experimental music, so anyone have any mods for prepared guitar?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
What do you mean, exactly? If you mean what stuff to do to prepare it, then just ramming thick screwdrivers between the strings and pickups has always worked for me. What sort of mods were you thinking of?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Well, it's a strat style guitar, but I have to rebuild the whole guitar first. It's a pile of crap. But anyway, I was thinking a killswitch, and maybe a cheap elctronic sustainer, if you have any ideas for that.
If you just wanna build something crazy you may as well go all out and put the circuit board from an old games controller or something in there. Killswitches are kinda cool, but everyone's got one nowadays. Still, up to you, really.

Ask someone else about the sustain thing, kinda outside my limited realm of knowledge!

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
maybe slight more expertise is required but get some drone strings like a sitar and a second pickup somewhere on the body
Cool. Thanks, guys. But what would putting a game controller circuit board in do?
I would first put a good nut on it, and then possibly some decent tuners and a bridge.

Unless you don't care to have it sustain or play in tune at all.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Read my 2nd post.
Quote by Primus2112
Cool. Thanks, guys. But what would putting a game controller circuit board in do?

Depends what you do to it! Google 'circuit bending' if you don't already know what it is. It's a pretty good use for any circuit boards in things you don't really use anymore.

Quote by zeroyon
I would first put a good nut on it, and then possibly some decent tuners and a bridge.

Unless you don't care to have it sustain or play in tune at all.

"noise-rock/experimental music"
^^

Thanks, Strat_Monkey. But I'm a n00b to elctronics so what are some suggestions to do to the board?
Ah, couldn't tell you, man, never done anything to a games controller. I was essentially pawning my dreams off on you...

Don't worry, I'm a bit of a fool when it comes to electronics, too, but even I can circuit bend. It does require a fair degree of screwing around, though, so you need to have a little patience to get something cool.

Just stick a screwdriver in the strings, and hit it with a drumstick. Sonic Youth made a career out of that sort of thing.
Quote by seljer
maybe slight more expertise is required but get some drone strings like a sitar and a second pickup somewhere on the body

They're called sympathetic strings and they'd probs sound pretty awesome.
If you can pull that off you'd get my eternal respect dude.
Thanks guys, really helpful.

I'm definately gonna try that sustainer mod.

I don't know about the sympathetic strings though.
Quote by Primus2112
Read my 2nd post.

OK, then obviously you DO want it to sustain. So put a good nut on it. Replace the saddles or entire bridge if its crap. Then consider some tuners if it has crappy ones.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I'm not sure about the tuners yet, but I'm replacing the bridge with a Wilkinson Fulcrum bridge and definately gonna replace the nut.