So next year I'll probably move to the US from Sweden. I'll go there by a scholarship and playing soccer in the NCAA div.1.

Anyway, I've got this proposal from the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee and I can play and study there if I want to. Seeing as I've never been to America and don't really know much about anything over there, I need your advice on what it's like in the city Milwaukee. Is it big? What kind of ppl live there? Anything famous nearby, like skiing, amusement parks and stuff like that? Is it a good university? What can I expect to see when I get there?

Basically I want every possible info about the city/area and college so I don't make a bad chioce and have to stay there for 4 years.

EDIT: as people haven't really been positive about Milwaukee, please give some advice on what areas I should look at.

My sort of "matchmaker" recommended me either the east- or west coast, due to the best cultural and social life. Want I want is obviously a really good university, both sports- and education wise, that plays in the NCAA div 1. It should also be relatively close to other activities such as skiing, amusement parks, big city life and other fun things. And of course nice and friendly people.

All help is appreciated since this'll be my biggest decision yet in life.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by xaedon at Aug 3, 2008,
wikipedia is your new best buddy, treat him well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
bring a bicycle and you'll be fine
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
if you love cheese and fat chicks youll be in heaven
Quote by mitchells_mom
I totally agree with LegionsOfDeath

Quote by Ovenman
Photoshop is for n00bs. Real men use MS paint.

tr00f
i live about ten miles from milwaukee, and it is a pretty good town. Decent size, but just make sure you are on the good side of town. It is pretty segregated, but is a pretty nice town overall. Most of the people are pretty nice, but since its a bigger city don't expect everyone to be real nice.

And yes, we do drink alot in wisconsin. ALOT.
Quote by Joshm3r275
And yes, we do drink alot in wisconsin. ALOT.

wisconsin is always #1 when it comes to beer drinking.
ok, it looks like almost everyone is looking at the city in a negative way. Well, I can basically "choose" where I want to go so where would you guys recommend me to go? I've thought about Florida?

If you would recommend me one city to go study to, what would it be? I don't drink so I'm not in need of a place filled with alcoholics :på
It depends on where in Florida you want to live.

And Milwuakee is very cheesy (pun intended).
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I happen to live in suburbs of Milwaukee. As I know the town (I'm not native...)

The good...
- Decent music scene...nothing like the big 3, but some really nice clubs and venues (riverside, the rave, others...) and a few cool little hole-in-the-wall places. Has many of the same concert tours come through as Chicago and other cities...but I like the Milwaukee venues since they tend to be smaller.
- Summerfest ... huge music festival in the summer (do a google maps satellite view and you can see the summerfest "smiley" south of 794 by the lake). Milwaukee area seems to be "festival" central during the summer. Every weekend and most weeks there's something going on during the summer.
- Nice and intimate metro area. I like the suburbs and to live in a decent suburban area of Chicago, I was 50+ minutes from downtown; in Milwaukee I'm in a great neighborhood and only about 20-25 minutes from downtown.
- Great art museum, OK general museum, Pro-Basketball, Baseball, Soccer teams. Also, many of the major attractions are close to one of the expressways or major roads.
- If you really need the BIG city...you are about 1.5 hours from Chicago ... now you have everything! Also, about 45 minutes from a big amusement park.

The bad..
- Shopping seems to suck a bit. After moving here I constantly thought of stores I'd go to in Chicago that have no equivalent in Milwaukee area.
- Craptacular local news paper and programming.
- Crime. Seems no different than any other large post industrial town. However, I live in the 'burbs so I'm not hanging in the bad parts of town at midnight. Yes, there are bad parts of town, but there are also very gentrified areas and an "art" district.
- Bad drivers. I'm not talking about the speed freaks...I'm talking about these idiots who drive in the left lane on expressway at 50 MPH or decide to pull to the right out of their turn lane before turning left (dude, your not driving a tractor trailor!) I see the scary stuff so often it has to be part of the driving curriculum.
- A little "too" into the local sports teams. Everything stops on Packer football Sunday, everyone wears Badger or Packer jerseys to work on game days. Many Packer fans are the definition of "fanatical".

I'm sure a native could tell you more...but thought a transplant's input might help.
My Favorite T-Shirt Saying: "Warning: Drummer Playing Guitar"

My Music: Abandon At My Place -- One man heavy observational rock band...

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
"HELLO WISCONSIN!"

Too bad you didn't come a year earlier, you might have got a chance to see Brett Farve in action.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by xaedon
ok, it looks like almost everyone is looking at the city in a negative way. Well, I can basically "choose" where I want to go so where would you guys recommend me to go? I've thought about Florida?

If you would recommend me one city to go study to, what would it be? I don't drink so I'm not in need of a place filled with alcoholics :på

Milwaukee's not all that bad... but almost everything that's been said is true. That said, the music scene's good, even moreso in the towns around Milwaukee (especially Waukesha, about thirty minutes out, and the hometown of Les Paul and Steve Miller). The school's good, as is the nearby Six Flags amusement park, and art museum. But Florida would be nice, too. Although if you're from Sweden, it's gonna be really hot, even in the winter, few days under 60 F. I'd say shoot for the Midwest - Indiana and Ohio especially, cause cost of living there is way less. Florida and Milwaukee, it's ridiculously high.

Edit: the cops thing is true, too... in Wauwatosa, Elm Grove, and Brookfield, they'll bust you for five miles over the speed limit.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
Quote by webcommando
I happen to live in suburbs of Milwaukee. As I know the town (I'm not native...)

The good...
- Decent music scene...nothing like the big 3, but some really nice clubs and venues (riverside, the rave, others...) and a few cool little hole-in-the-wall places. Has many of the same concert tours come through as Chicago and other cities...but I like the Milwaukee venues since they tend to be smaller.
- Summerfest ... huge music festival in the summer (do a google maps satellite view and you can see the summerfest "smiley" south of 794 by the lake). Milwaukee area seems to be "festival" central during the summer. Every weekend and most weeks there's something going on during the summer.
- Nice and intimate metro area. I like the suburbs and to live in a decent suburban area of Chicago, I was 50+ minutes from downtown; in Milwaukee I'm in a great neighborhood and only about 20-25 minutes from downtown.
- Great art museum, OK general museum, Pro-Basketball, Baseball, Soccer teams. Also, many of the major attractions are close to one of the expressways or major roads.
- If you really need the BIG city...you are about 1.5 hours from Chicago ... now you have everything! Also, about 45 minutes from a big amusement park.

The bad..
- Shopping seems to suck a bit. After moving here I constantly thought of stores I'd go to in Chicago that have no equivalent in Milwaukee area.
- Craptacular local news paper and programming.
- Crime. Seems no different than any other large post industrial town. However, I live in the 'burbs so I'm not hanging in the bad parts of town at midnight. Yes, there are bad parts of town, but there are also very gentrified areas and an "art" district.
- Bad drivers. I'm not talking about the speed freaks...I'm talking about these idiots who drive in the left lane on expressway at 50 MPH or decide to pull to the right out of their turn lane before turning left (dude, your not driving a tractor trailor!) I see the scary stuff so often it has to be part of the driving curriculum.
- A little "too" into the local sports teams. Everything stops on Packer football Sunday, everyone wears Badger or Packer jerseys to work on game days. Many Packer fans are the definition of "fanatical".

I'm sure a native could tell you more...but thought a transplant's input might help.

yep that sounds about right
wow, thanks for all the good information. This really helps. Please read my edit in the first post and keep your opinions coming. I have a long way to go regarding this since USA is so big.