Ok so I just bought a new CD of a regional band I like called sam & the stylees after seeing them in concert. I listened to the new cd in my car on the way back and it was fine. When I put it in my computer it just says that it's a blank cd and says that there is no data on it. I want to put it on my computer though so I can put it on my mp3 player. Can anyone help?

I have xp by the way.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Did you try opening it with Windows Media Player? Maybe the disc is encoded or something.
When you choose to burn a CD, there's a choice between an audio CD and a data CD, and only the latter can be read by computers. They chose to make it an audio CD.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
When you choose to burn a CD, there's a choice between an audio CD and a data CD, and only the latter can be read by computers. They chose to make it an audio CD.

So how do you have a CD that works both in CD players and in a computer?
yeah i kinda had this problem with velvet revolver's contabrand. It plays on stereos fine but i try to put it on itunes and then to my ipod and any time on a computer or ipod it plays but its all ****ed up with every doubled and outta sync.

Anyone know why that is? I think its just a bad disc tho ( the quality not the music i haven't heard it all yet)
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by filthandfury
Did you try opening it with Windows Media Player? Maybe the disc is encoded or something.

Yeah my computer doesn't even recognize it.
Under my computer on the E drive it just shows a blank cd.

Edit:
Quote by duncang

So is there anyway it can be read by a computer?
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Open it with WMP or iTunes and rip the CD to your computer.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by GiantRaven
So how do you have a CD that works both in CD players and in a computer?

Data discs work on both, as far as I know.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang

No, because most players can't read data. I thought for it to play on CD player etc it has to be burnt as an audio disc, which can be read and ripped on computers.
Well, I dunno.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang

That's not true... computers can read audio CDs fine. CD players, on the other hand, cannot read data CDs. Besides, literally every CD in a music store or a bookstore is an audio CD.

Anyways, try rebooting your computer to see if that helps. If not, download iTunes and try it again. If that still doesn't work, then I have no idea what's wrong with it.

EDIT: It may be that the CD is copy-protected. Check the band's website for information.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by duncang
Data discs work on both, as far as I know.

That makes no sense

edit: If computers couldn't read audio CDs then how would you ever rip audio off a CD you bought?
Quote by duncang

When I burn cds I always burn as an audio disc and the computer does read it. Plus if you had a rewriteable disc, why would it allow you to use it and then not be able to use it again? Both audio cds and data pcs can be read by a computer.

Edit: come to think of it i had them same problem 2 weeks ago when my pc would not recognise a cd that i bought. I restarted the computer and it worked fine so maybe try that?
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Last edited by nikhil101 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by duncang

Hmm that's not true mister. CD/DVD Drives on PC's can read both audio and data CD's.

Maybe you should try cleaning it up with something and try to rip with "Audiograbber".
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

This applies only if it is an Audio CD. If it's a data CD (probably has MP3 files) you just gotta drag n' drop them to your PC. Although you probably knew that
Quote by darkstar2466
Open it with WMP or iTunes and rip the CD to your computer.

I've tried both

Quote by firebreath07
That's not true... computers can read audio CDs fine. CD players, on the other hand, cannot read data CDs. Besides, literally every CD in a music store or a bookstore is an audio CD.

Anyways, try rebooting your computer to see if that helps. If not, download iTunes and try it again. If that still doesn't work, then I have no idea what's wrong with it.

EDIT: It may be that the CD is copy-protected. Check the band's website for information.

I don't know. I've tried rebooting my computer and I've tried iTunes and WMP. It's just that my computer doesn't recognize the data on it and I don't know why.

edit:
Quote by thame2010
Hmm that's not true mister. CD/DVD Drives on PC's can read both audio and data CD's.

Maybe you should try cleaning it up with something and try to rip with "Audiograbber".
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

This applies only if it is an Audio CD. If it's a data CD (probably has MP3 files) you just gotta drag n' drop them to your PC. Although you probably knew that

Ok I might try that.

And I would definitely drag and drop it if it showed any data there. it just says there is 702 MB free of a total of 702 MB. So my computer is just saying there is nothing on the cd.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

Quote by duncang

Actually, computers can read data and audio cds while car stereo's can only read audio cds/mp3 depending on what kind of optical drive it has.

Try using something like isoBuster to read the contents of the cd.
duncang, I'm afraid you are incorrect, Audio CDs can run on both.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....