i want to take my old strat and rebuild it,
im gonna start by replacing the 3 single coils with either 1 or 2 humbuckers.
so my first problem is can anyone tell me how to wire it so i dont have to remove all of the existing knobs and switches but still be able to use them for just the two humbuckers.
and second, what is a good replacement bridge that will go in fairly easily? it already has a trem so i guess theres no reason not to put a new one in it.
unsolder the pickups from everything.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well I don't know about the bridge or anything but for the two humbuckers Seymour Duncan makes these ones called rails which are just humbuckers that go into a single coil slot I don't know if you're interested in that but you wouldn't have to do anything more than if you're going to put in new single coils, so those would be easy to put in.

Heres an example of one:
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails
Does your strat have a "swimming pool" style pickup cavity? (That means one large cavity rather than a separate one for each pickup. If it does not, then you will either need to use stacked humbuckers or rout the body to accommodate regular buckers. Before we can give you wiring advice we need to know what you're working with: i.e. number and type of pickups and number and type of knobs and selector switches.
Quote by cedricsmods
Does your strat have a "swimming pool" style pickup cavity? (That means one large cavity rather than a separate one for each pickup. If it does not, then you will either need to use stacked humbuckers or rout the body to accommodate regular buckers. Before we can give you wiring advice we need to know what you're working with: i.e. number and type of pickups and number and type of knobs and selector switches.

Most strats are HSH routed. But since I think you don't want to buy a new pickguard too, I say Duncan Rails.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by cedricsmods

yes, it is just one large cavity, thats why i decided to put the humbuckers in it. it has two tones and one volume, and a 5 way selector.thats why i thought i might be able to just wire the tones to the humbuckers and then the volume to all of it. i just dont know if ill need to by new pots. i ont know much about the wiring i just know how to do it. its the components that i dont know. and then as far as the 5 way selector goes i would like to just make that in to a 3 way.
why not just get a prewired pickguard from guitar fettish or something? Theyre pretty cheap and the pickups arent bad. Solder two wires and screw it all in.
Quote by livrockdie
why not just get a prewired pickguard from guitar fettish or something? Theyre pretty cheap and the pickups arent bad. Solder three wires and screw it all in.

fix'd
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden