Page 1 of 2
Alright. I got a firs act guitar and 26wat amp for christmas because my parents wanted to make sure I would actually play. Anyways I am know looking for a new guitar and amp to buy. I am currently saving and do not know exactly what I want to spend. But what I want to know is would a Line 6 Spider III 75 wat be good for playing rock/classic rock such as ac/dc, van halen, metallica( they are more metal).

Also has anyone used this guitar? Should I buy it? its a DIY les paul kit.

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/build-your-own-electric-guitar-kit-lp-style-right-or-left-handed
Line 6 spiders are not that good of amps, i'd look into roland cubes and the vox valvetronix series.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

What your budget?
EDIT: Don't get that kit. It has cheap woods.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Get the Spider if you want versatility and don't care much about tone. If you want good tone as well, then DONT get the Spider. go with a Vox valvetronix or Roland cube as someone else said. In any case, you'll want to get a tube amp eventually, so it doesn't matter a ton if you get the Spider.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Why the hell would you want to build your first REAL electric guitar. I consider first act guitars just 'toys'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
Alright I wont get the kit but I was looking on musician's friend and I saw this. Take a look and tell me what you think its a three foot tall marshall mini stack. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG15MSII-Micro-Stack?sku=482705
NO^

Mg's have less tone then spiders lol. ROLAND CUBE OR VOX VALVETRONIX
Don't let size determine your amp. and remember you don't need a half-stack or min stack
Quote by Demonikk
+1 on everything phip said

Main Gear
PRS SE Custom
Jay Turser Strat
Classic 30
Effects
Beheringer Distortion pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby
DigiTech Bad Monkey
If you want a guitar kit get a bolt kit from Carvin. It's a USA made guitar with premium wood and hardware. Starts at $399 and has a list of upcharges. I ordered mine with walnut body, maple neck with 10" radius and stainless steel frets, and an HSS setup. Less than $600 shipped.

Of course it's got to be finished but that's the purpose of the kit.

About the line6 spider III 75 watts, they were hot sellers so they can't be all bad. I've heard one and it sounded pretty good to me so if you're in the process of learning guitar this amp might do you good. With 400+ presets and whatnots it'll probably inspire you to play your guitar more often. Tone is subjective so you be the judge.

For a guitar you're ready for a better one. We don't know what budget you have but I would start at $400-$500 and there's a few in that range that's not such a cheapie.
Quote by sglover34479
If all this stuff im looking at is crap how come so many people say its good? just wondering.....

The majority of reviews on websites like Zzounds and Musicians Friend are terrible and poorly written, listen to these people and go with a Cube or a Valvetronix, ive had experience with Spiders and MG's, not good
"Sound:
it has a really good distortion and clean sound a little to much hum in the background but i guess thats why they call them humbuckers"

review on Zzounds
Quote by sglover34479
If all this stuff im looking at is crap how come so many people say its good? just wondering.....

First half of that people does not own it and second half of them is just piece of crap.
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
Alrighty, what's your budget my friend?

Then people can be a little more helpful other than "Not spiders or mgs, get a cube or vox."

Also, you probably don't want to build your first guitar. Maybe you do, but it probably wont sound very good, and then you wont play it because it sounds like ass
Will you tell us your budget? We can help you then. There is good stuff in every budget.
Yes, but he uses a Marshall that has tubes. Not sure what model, but someone else probably does. Marshalls are great amps most of the time. Just not the MG series.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by sglover34479
As I said up top im not sure what I want to spend but probably not more than 350 for an amp. And no more than 400 for a guitar. I was thinking of an epiphone SG G-400 Anythoughts?

OK, that's a good start. Yes, the G400 is a good guitar, a lot of UGers use it and love it. You can get a lot more amp for your money if you buy used tho. Every used craigslist?
Quote by BD 425
Yes, but he uses a Marshall that has tubes. Not sure what model, but someone else probably does. Marshalls are great amps most of the time. Just not the MG series.

I believe he uses plexis
Quote by mcrfobtai
I believe he uses plexis

You will have 2000 posts by tonight!
And he (Angus) doesn't use a ton of gain.
No I havent used craigslist but ill check it out. Also I really think Im gonna get this amp. Someone tell me why I should or shouldnt. all iv heard is "get a cube!". I want an actuall reason to not buy this amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG15MSII-Micro-Stack?sku=482705
The marshall just doesn't sound as good as other amps in your price range.

Honestly, just go to guitar center or sam ash and play every single amp they have that is within your price range, never mind who makes it, and decide which one sounds the best.

For 350, you can get an epi valve junior with matching cab, blackheart little giant, vox ad30vt, which is like the marshall except it sounds better, fender vibrochamp or superchamp xd, which is like the vox and marshall except it has power tubes, which made it sound better when I played it. This is brand new.

Used, peavey classic 30 is great for classic rock, and with a bad monkey overdrive (50 bucks) you could get some van halen or classic metal.

Just go out to the store, take a day or two, and play combinations of guitars and amps until you find a combination that you like.
Quote by sglover34479
No I havent used craigslist but ill check it out. Also I really think Im gonna get this amp. Someone tell me why I should or shouldnt. all iv heard is "get a cube!". I want an actuall reason to not buy this amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG15MSII-Micro-Stack?sku=482705

The main reason people shoot down this amp is because of its lack of tone, especially compared with the higher end marshalls.

I recommend you try the cube, vox, and spider recommendations and see which one has the tone you like. Assuming the amp will be mainly used for practice, any of these 3 will suffice.

Also, all 3 of these can produce a wider variety of tones and cover more styles of music than the marshall micro stack can. (not including the use of pedals of course)
Seriously try the Epi Valve Jr or the Blackheart, both 5 watt tube amps and loud, along with a bad monkey, and a EQ,and plus u can buy mod kits.
if you want the options that a modeller gives you go for the cube or a valvetronix. If you just want really good tone go for the epi valve jr. or the blackheart with an od.

Also, the g400 is a good choice and i would definitely try it out.
Angus uses JCM800's I believe.

Yeah stay away from cheap amps that look really cool like that marshall mini stack. Half of what you're buying there is the name on the front. If I were you I'd probably get either a Blackheart, an Epiphone Valve, or a Crate v series and add an Overdrive pedal. The Epiphone SG should be good.

If you really want that AC/DC sound get a Marshall JCM800
Also, that Mini stack is just a 15 watt head on top of 2 ten-inch speakers. Thats still a practice amp, even though it's a "stack". It'll be a bitch to move, too.
Quote by BD 425

All are better than the MG, they just don't have the Marshall logo that makes your dick seem 2 inches bigger. The Blackheart and the Crate are the best in the bunch, the Crate has reverb built in. The Vox is the most versatile. If you buy the MG, you will regret it as many of us former MG owners have.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
All are better than the MG, they just don't have the Marshall logo that makes your dick seem 2 inches bigger. The Blackheart and the Crate are the best in the bunch, the Crate has reverb built in. The Vox is the most versatile. If you buy the MG, you will regret it as many of us former MG owners have.

My friend had an MG 100 watts and after a few years it quit working. He went looking for another one but didn't find any (local stores) so he bought a blues jr. He thinks the MG is better.

I love the creamy tone from my blues jr and the stock red labels ain't bad.
I'd definately try a Roland Cube 30x. can do metal perfectly.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by PanHead
My friend had an MG 100 watts and after a few years it quit working. He went looking for another one but didn't find any (local stores) so he bought a blues jr. He thinks the MG is better.

I love the creamy tone from my blues jr and the stock red labels ain't bad.

He probably liked the versatility of the MG - Stand back! Doesn't make them right or wrong - it's his opinion.
To the TS - for $350 you could get a great used amp. If you are stuck on new, V33 at Samash for $299 is pretty good. Also try a VK-112.
Both those amps will own the MG in many a UGers opinion.
But used? Classic 20 or 30, Delta Blues, Vintage Club 20 or 30.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
okay:

1. Angus Young uses JTM-45's

2. I would recommend a Cube, it is versital and has several effects to keep you interested in playing.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Your a beggining guitarist, dont worry too much about getting suberb equipment. All you need is a little 15watt amp, guitar, and a ton of music book and get cracking.......five years from now start worrying about your tone. For now worry about your playing.
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by sglover34479

Because it's overpriced and sounds like crap. If you want to sound like Angus Young then it won't get you remotely close...this will.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078

If you buy that POS Marshall just because of the name on the front and how it looks then you're a complete retard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by sglover34479
Thanks for all the input and I know its dumb but Im gonna gt the MG. Srry? }

Enjoy your new amp. Good luck.
Quote by sglover34479
Thanks for all the input and I know its dumb but Im gonna gt the MG. Srry? }

If you know it's dumb why are you getting it? The people giving you advice have been in your position before and know what to not get, yet you just ignored all their advice? Oh well, it's your money and you're probably going to regret it later.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Page 1 of 2