****ing rythms!!!

so latley ive been trying to get better at metal rythm, i suck balls at it curently, to do this i took a riff i had that involved palm muting and played it to a metrenome and recorded it, every time i do it it sounds fine when i play it but then when i listen to it it sounds like im slowing down!!!! but even when i put the metronome up to the track it sounds ok but i guess i slow down on the notes in between the beats. i dont ****ing know but it sounds wrong, and im not just saying that, it sounds inconsistant and wrong. so what do i trust, the metronome or my ears, it only happens on the low E string to, any other string i can keep a beat fine on but whne i start Pming on the low E string it just sounds inconsistant, ive tried choking up on the pick and playing a bit ahead of the beat but nothing ****ing works!!! so how do i get better at these, its essential for the kind of music i play, and its fine when i have a drum trakc with me or im playing along with a song, but i want to make it so i dont need a drum track

i ****ing hate everything
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
don't move your hand back and forth on the string when your palm muting. other then that, i've got nothing dude. if your confident that your ears good, trust that over the metronome.
do you have any guitar playing friends? get them to listen to you as you play, then to a recording of you playing and see if they're noticing the same things. it coudl eb that you're jsut being too over-critical of yourself.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
uh let your hand guide, dont let your mind interfere with the beat. that happens to me sometimes, while im playing ill be thinking oh did i slow down, should i speed up? yeah.

learn some metal songs also, like slayer.
Quote by Roybordom
don't move your hand back and forth on the string when your palm muting. other then that, i've got nothing dude. if your confident that your ears good, trust that over the metronome.

what do you mean dont move your hand back and forth, how else are you supposed to do it?
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
listen to Kill the King by Megadeth. The main riff is just open E, it's 4 downstrokes and then 8 alternates. Dimebag incidentally used to use this exact same riff as a warmup thing for him, he would play it at a moderate tempo and then slowly speed up to build endurance in the right hand. anyways you could try playing this riff both as a warmup to help your right hand out and you could play it to a metronome to improve your timing.

and the guy above meant don't move your hand side to side (pickup to pickup). also as much as you can when palm muting things like this you should try and limit the vertical movement of your right hand (a strum like motion) and try to use you wrist more as a pivot point for your hand to go up and down.
DON'T TRUST YOUR EARS!!!! They can be very missinforming, even if you think that you are right. But remember, the metronome is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS right.

Other than that, slow the metronome down until you just can't take it anymore. Then you will be forced to play each note with accurate timing. Plus, you will easilly be able hear where you screw up. Do that whole 'repeat and increase speed' thing for a few days/weeks/months, and you'll be fine!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I had the same problem with my alternate picking, i could get to certain tempos and it would sound nice and even then if i pushed it further i would still be in time but it almost felt like i was leaving to much space in the middle of the bar. This annoyed me, much like yourself for obvious reasons.

Anyways onto the solution.
Firstly don't get stressed that can cause unnesessary tension which not only makes playing harder but also causes damage :-(

Start off in small chunks quoting Mr Petrucci "Spanish Laps for the Guitar" Set the metronome at a really comfortable speed, i always like to start stuff down around 60bpm so i can really concentrate on making everything perfect.
Play 8th notes for 3 bars followed by 1 bar of 16th notes loop it over and over concentrating on really getting it in time, keeping relaxed and maintaining good posture and using an efficient and consistent picking pattern.
Gradually add more bars of 16ths untill you can do it consistently.
Remember to accent different 8th and 16th notes throughout the lick while still tapping your foot to the beat to really gain control of your picking.

I find this a great way to get down troublsome tempos and ideas, you can apply it to pretty much any problem you face on the guitar.
Quote by bass guy 129
six hundred. sorry. im from maine and we dont talk no good none up hurr