Poll: which amp to get
Poll Options
View poll results: which amp to get
Vox Valvetronix 30 watts
27 53%
Roland Cube 30 watts
24 47%
Voters: 51.
i was looking for some practice Amps and those are finalists... its gonna be either a Vox Valvetronix 30 watts, or the Roland Cube 30 watts
I want this amp to be very verstile, cause am still learning how to play, ya u can say am still a noob, and i wanna play more than metal. i want smthin that suits rock, blues, hard rock tunes and that can handle high distortion levels for metal and some death, SOME .
Which one to get ??!!
I own a Valvetronix (same model) and I can say it's superb for almost anything. I don't know how good the Cube is tho, I've never played on one.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
the thing is, where i live there is no shop that have these modles, so i kinda have to order it online, thats y i need your opinios UGers
Played both, I own the Cube 30, Unfortunatley I bought it before getting a chance to play the Vox. Vox wins.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Haven't tried em but I don't need to tell you how much praise the cube gets around here.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
I have the Cube, and I love it because I play a lot of metal. If you want versatility, you might want to go with the Vox though.
They vox looks like it has more modes and can adapt to more styles... can some1 tell me how does it work under heavy distortion???, i might use a distortion pedal to drive more insanety, will it handle this kind of crap???
Last edited by Jyscal at Aug 3, 2008,
My honest opinion... wait for someone to give a decent review of the new Peavey Vypyrs because they are looking to be some decent modeling amps.
I've got the Vox, and I love it. 90% of what I play is high gain, and it handles it very well. The effects are great. No need for a distortion pedal with that amp. The cube is supposed to be good too, but I've never played one.
ok a new contender stepped into the ring, the Peavy Vypyr 30 watts. cheaper, have good reviews, too many modes to chose, and they assume it has double the processing power of the competetor amps.
any ideas
I own a cube 30. it's really great for the vox, fender tweed and marshall settings. i dislike all the other settings. therefore, i voted for the valvetronix.

edit: i heard the vox valvetronix XL, the new one made for higher gain stuff sucks, so you might wanna steer clear of it.

however, if you wanna play metal, i suggest roland cube, as i feel it gives the best metal tone out of your choices. the vox kinda stops at hard/classic rock.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
iv played both and i have to say that despite the model amps on the vox are garbage, the manual controls are really nice. the overdrive control on it is very good sounding, and it gets some pretty good distortion. i think its much more full sounding than the cube and overall more versatile.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
well i was looking into the marshall models too, but in my price range, it doesn't look that promising, i guess if i want a good marshall ill have to spend more money. i think i decided on the vox, seems it is the winner here.
thnx Ugers. i really appreciate the help of the members here, everyone is more than willing to help out, and i thank all Ugers for this spirit
keep it up guys
Well ive tried the Vox because im in the market for an amp. People have suggested the vox or the cube. i havent played the cube. But the Vox, i find its great for the 3 times ive tried it. Just dont use the presets though coz they suck, when i tried it i found the effects were rally good for amp effects.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
If you want a modeling amp, you might look at some of Line 6's stuff. Not the Spider series, though, but I doubt I need to tell you that.

Among your current contenders, I'd say find a Vypyr and give it a shot. Peavey rarely dissapoint.
Are Peavey Vypyrs actually out already? I thought they ship later this month or in September.
My New Gear!
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 30
actually am gonna wait till i make my money whole... i have almost 150$ and i need at least 250$ for a decent 30 watt amp, i will hunt down a peavy and try it out, about the line 6, i didnt really like it that much, too complicated for a simple mind like mine
Yeah for me I might consider waiting for the Peavey Vypyrs to come out (they say September is when they'll actually receive it in my area). Maybe a micro cube can hold me over until then.
My New Gear!
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 30
The cube has alot of people raving about it but I find you can only get thin scratchy tones out of it. The vox however gets one of the fullest sound of a combo i have ever heard. If you go for a cube, you need a full sounding guitar like an lp.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Dude! You really should play the amp before spending your hard earned cash on what someone else tells you. I went through the same dilemma about a month ago. Most people told me the same thing over and over again about the amps I was looking at. When I actually went and played the amps recommended highly to me, I went with a totally different one all together.
You really need to play the amp and make sure it is EXACTLY what you are looking for.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Quote by schismed
Dude! You really should play the amp before spending your hard earned cash on what someone else tells you. I went through the same dilemma about a month ago. Most people told me the same thing over and over again about the amps I was looking at. When I actually went and played the amps recommended highly to me, I went with a totally different one all together.
You really need to play the amp and make sure it is EXACTLY what you are looking for.

man i swear, i wish i could. first off, the mega jackass who is importing ronalds to my city is only ordering the micro cube, cause its cheaper for him, and guess what, he sells the micro cube for almost $220, even if they had the model i want i cant buy it, becuse he will sell it for much more than it's listed price :S, no one ever imports vox Amps around here, and peavy is like a mistery to them music shops.
i hope i make the right choice based on ur reviews UGers
My current amplifier is a 100-watt Valvetronix (essentially the same as the thirty watt, plus send and return jacks). My previousx amplifier was a Roland Cube 30. Both are incredibly versatile modelling amps, but I would chose the Vox. It has more features, and can give you a much more dynamic sound.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
I kind of hate the Vox SS amps..
Might as well go for the Fender Champ XD
All tube
And very versatile
(Pumps out some decent distortion to)
Try it out, or look it up
Quote by Jyscal
man i swear, i wish i could. first off, the mega jackass who is importing ronalds to my city is only ordering the micro cube, cause its cheaper for him, and guess what, he sells the micro cube for almost $220, even if they had the model i want i cant buy it, becuse he will sell it for much more than it's listed price :S, no one ever imports vox Amps around here, and peavy is like a mistery to them music shops.
i hope i make the right choice based on ur reviews UGers

Even with gas prices through the roof it may be worth your time and money to drive somewhere that has a better selection.
Also, before you buy new, have you considered Craigslist? Buying a used amp isnt necessarily a bad idea as long as you know what the amp is supposed to sound like new.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Considering most of us here are into metal the cube should have the advantage but heck! The Vox still wins
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R