So this summer I've been working, and I've made some cash (bought new amp!) but I haven't made near as much as I thought. So with school starting back up in a few weeks, I was thinking rather than lessons (I do a ton of after school stuff - It would be very hard for me to take weekly lessons), I should atleast get a DVD lesson/guide.

Now most people would just say "take your schools guitar class!", well, I already have, and at this point there is nothing left for the teacher to teach, as she really isn't fantastic. No offense to her, but when you only play guitar for maybe 3 months a year, you're going to be surpassed pretty quickly by students who pull all-nighters just to play guitar.

So I've hit a road block... I want a guitar DVD set, but I'm at a loss. Just like most guitarists, I want to better my technical ability, but in a musicians sense I also want to increase my (currently) very-limited knowledge of theory. Well, I only know of two DVD's really, rock discipline and metal method.

Now I think both will definately have the technical non-sense in there, but which has more theory? Which is set up better? Are they set up in weekly sessions? Roughly how long is a session? What does each cost? Anyone TRIED them? What was your experience?

I'm really lost with these things, and I don't want to waste my money (like I said, I haven't made much of it). So I'm kind of leaving it up to UG. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each DVD? Are there any other lessons of which you'd suggest? What makes them better?

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks to any answers I get!
Well, why not get a book that comes with a DVD. It would be better, because you get both. And another good thing to do is Youtube, that's always a good one.

Either that or get proper guitar lessons, from a proper teacher.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I've heard the Paul Gilbert DVD's help a lot. I just watched an interview with Brendan Small (The Dethklok guy) here on UG where he said the Paul Gilbert DVD's were very helpful.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Screw lessons, just use the internet to learn. It's free anyway. Either use the internet or learn by yourself.
Quote by Eternium
Screw lessons, just use the internet to learn. It's free anyway. Either use the internet or learn by yourself.

I think instructional DVD's are worth the price......
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I need one too, I want one that teaches me some theory, scales, really good licks to use, and stuff like that. I can play pretty good, but have no idea about theory
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
I'd like to learn from a teacher, but currently I really don't have the time. Period. Maybe later in the school year, but not now.

So, let me rephrase my question, to anyone with experience with a certain lesson set, can you give me some information on it? I like learning by watching amass of people. I do learn by youtube, but there's only so much you can learn from random people on youtube. For christs sakes, I have a group called "the youtube guitarists". If I had wanted to just continue learning on youtube I would've. Thanks for the contributions. And to the person who said get a book dvd combo, I'm pretty sure both of the sets I listed come with a tab book...
I want a DVD more for intermediate players that shows you how to shred anyone got anything like that?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Chech out the Petrucci lessons, those are pretty awesome IMO, even though I still have to side with you're better off self teaching through studying and playing guitar. Because in so many of those videos, you just end up watching a guitarist shred for a lot of it, just demonstrations rather than a proper Lesson. A lot of people just use those dvd's in hopes of getting good at guitar fast, which 99% of the time will obviously never end up happening.
But if you must check out an 'instructional dvd' check out Petrucci's Rock Discipline dvd's, they seem like the best out of all the ones I've browsed through on youtube.
Last edited by bowen at Aug 2, 2008,