Poll: Metal forever or not?
Poll Options
View poll results: Metal forever or not?
Definitely for ever.
129 63%
Growing out of it at some point.
25 12%
No idea.
50 25%
Voters: 204.
Page 1 of 4
I've been doing some thinking, and I wanted to know some other people's opinions. Metal seems like the kind of genre that most people grow out of, don't you think?

So what do you guys (and girls) think? Sticking to Metal or growing out of it at some point? I think I'll go with sticking with it since I'm kind of a metal enthusiast.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
I've been doing some thinking, and I wanted to know some other people's opinions. Metal seems like the kind of genre that most people grow out of, don't you think?

So what do you guys (and girls) think? Sticking to Metal or growing out of it at some point? I think I'll go with sticking with it since I'm kind of a metal enthusiast.

Most people grow out of it because most people were into it because they were posers and it was trendy (or untrendy, which is just as dumb).

Only posers can grow out of it really.
Quote by solidgay
Most people grow out of it because most people were into it because they were posers and it was trendy (or untrendy, which is just as dumb).

Hit it dead on the ****ing head
Quote by solidgay

Pretty much...
Quote by solidgay

Yes.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
On a side note, I haven't seen you round here in a while

As far as growing out of metal is concerned, I think there is a point where most people will just 'grow out' of any particular genre, but it's never to do with actual maturity, as the term 'growing out of' would suggest.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I only listened to metal to be cool and be an outcast. Now that I joined my favorite frat, I can go back to listening Dave Matthews Band again.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I only listened to metal to be cool and be an outcast. Now that I joined my favorite frat, I can go back to listening Dave Matthews Band again.

Meh, I grew out of it awhile ago, but then got revitilized by it, I just spent those odd eight years dabbling in prog/drone/ambient/noise/post-*blank* musics.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I don't see myself growing out of metal, but I do see myself branching out into more genres as well as sticking to my metal routes.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by duncang
On a side note, I haven't seen you round here in a while

As far as growing out of metal is concerned, I think there is a point where most people will just 'grow out' of any particular genre, but it's never to do with actual maturity, as the term 'growing out of' would suggest.

Hey mate I see you've still got the avatar, haha.

I see what you guys mean, but don't you think that one day you'd just be like "man, this is stupid." just out of maturing?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Nothing is forever. The guys that saw Sabbath tour in 1970 now have dull jobs and dress like everybody else middle-aged.
I grew out of metal and into hardcore/deathcore. Metal takes time and patience. This way I get the instant gratification I deserve.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by Firenze

I see what you guys mean, but don't you think that one day you'd just be like "man, this is stupid." just out of maturing?

Well, I will always think Black Metal is the most retarded metal genre, image-wise, but probably my second favorite metal genre in music. And, I love how immature some bands are, because then they get a Troll-like reaction from idiots.

They don't understand that they are feeding the literal musical troll.

I might grow out of it in my fourties or something, or be like Karl Sanders and start a band in my mid 30's .

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Firenze

You too
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I grew out of a lot of thrash and speed metal, I grew like, completely out of power metal, and I can see myself not really bothering with much old school death metal soon.

But technical death metal/ prog metal/ brutal death metal has just too much guitar (and pretty much every other instrument playing) awesomeness for me to grow out of. I guess if you just listen to 100 percent metal all the time you would get sick of it (same with experiencing ANYTHING 24/7, to be honest), but I listen to a lot of alt.rock (Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band, and radiohead's definitly in my top 5 bands somewhere), prog rock, avant-garde, jazz/jazz fusion, some hip hop (Definitly not the Soulja Boy sort of "clubbing" hip-hop, canibus and immortal technique kinda stuff), some electronic music, etc, etc. It prevents me from getting a headache from 3 hours of tremelo picking and 400 bpm sweeping.
Quote by piratemetalhead
I grew out of a lot of thrash and speed metal, I grew like, completely out of power metal, and I can see myself not really bothering with much old school death metal soon.

But technical death metal/ prog metal/ brutal death metal has just too much guitar (and pretty much every other instrument playing) awesomeness for me to grow out of. I guess if you just listen to 100 percent metal all the time you would get sick of it (same with experiencing ANYTHING 24/7, to be honest), but I listen to a lot of alt.rock (Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band, and radiohead's definitly in my top 5 bands somewhere), prog rock, avant-garde, jazz/jazz fusion, some hip hop (Definitly not the Soulja Boy sort of "clubbing" hip-hop, canibus and immortal technique kinda stuff), some electronic music, etc, etc. It prevents me from getting a headache from 3 hours of tremelo picking and 400 bpm sweeping.

Very subtle, sneaking in how open minded and diverse and, like, totally awesome you are.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang
Very subtle, sneaking in how open minded and diverse and, like, totally awesome you are.

Isn't that what the thread is about, in a sense? Talking about if you will get out of metal and if you have, what you listen to?

And, you seem to have a problem with someone saying "Hey, I like ____" Which is really quite annoying.

Quote by eggsandham2
I'm on and off with metal. Sometimes I listen to it for awhile, then I listen to something else for awhile. I know I will stop listening to it altogether when I get super latino.
Shit, I clicked on the wrong option and voted "Growing out of it at some point" but meant to put "Definitely for ever" as my choice. But really, I couldn't imagine ever get bored of it because of all the great and unique bands coming out recently. Yhere is a shitload of metal out there and more to come, so I don't see how it is possible to run out of bands to listen to.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
I don't see myself growing out of metal, even when I'm an old man. The genre's just too diverse. Every now and then I listen to other stuff, but... I'll always like metal.
Quote by duncang

Hahaha, I probably came off sounding like that, sorry. But as a note, metal, jazz, prog and alt.rock are pretty much the only genres in that list with more than 2 artists I regularly listen to anyways, I'm not really trying to make myself sound like some kind of music mastermind or anythin'.
I don't think I will grow out of it. I think my musical horizons will only broaden but I will always be a metalhead at heart. I'm practically the only person within a 500mile radius of me that likes metal so if I can enjoy it now, why wouldn't I when I'm older?
Quote by Stoner0405
I don't think I will grow out of it. I think my musical horizons will only broaden but I will always be a metalhead at heart. I'm practically the only person within a 500mile radius of me that likes metal so if I can enjoy it now, why wouldn't I when I'm older?

Same here. Listening to metal has actually helped me be more open minded about all kinds of music, regardless of the genre.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
As Dun said, any genre you listen to all the time you wind up getting sick of. Its ridiculous to call someone a poser because they used to like metal and don't anymore.. thats the dumbest thing i've read all day.

You're just tired of the genre because you aren't listening to enough variety.
Listen to music, not one genre of music
I don't think I'll ever grow out of metal. When I like something it stays with me forever.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Isn't that what the thread is about, in a sense? Talking about if you will get out of metal and if you have, what you listen to?

And, you seem to have a problem with someone saying "Hey, I like ____" Which is really quite annoying.

That all stems back to a thread on here like a year and a bit ago where it was just people saying stuff like this:

"So I LOVE metal, metal is the best genre, metal is amazing...

But I listen to looooads of jazz and classical too! Like, uh...Atheist!"

Which annoyed people immensely, and since being 'open minded' has become a fad it still annoys me.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Ahh, fair enough, at least you didn't fly off the handle (which is what I expected)

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by duncang
That all stems back to a thread on here like a year and a bit ago where it was just people saying stuff like this:

"So I LOVE metal, metal is the best genre, metal is amazing...

But I listen to looooads of jazz and classical too! Like, uh...Atheist!"

Which annoyed people immensely, and since being 'open minded' has become a fad it still annoys me.
I think the real problem is people taking the bait and getting annoyed about a throwaway comment on the internet.
Quote by smb
I think the real problem is people taking the bait and getting annoyed about a throwaway comment on the internet.

Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Everytime I almost 'outgrow' metal I rediscover my love for it...
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
you say that like metal is something immature that you grow out of after your teen years are over. i actually got a little pissed when io read that. youve obviously never seen metal: a headbangers journey. metal isnt something to grow out of, if you truely like it you wont grow out of it. as stated above posers will probably stop listening to it because theyve never liked it in the first place. sure your taste might evolve and you might not like metal or certain subgenres of metal at some point but you wont just stop liking metal because it "used to be something you did when you were a kid".

personally i think i wont grow out of metal and if i do it will be when i start to get older. i wont really grow out of it but just listen to it less because metal is aggressive and once you hit the point when your life begins to slow down a bit i think your tastes will too. either that or it will never sound unappealing. metal forever!
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by solidgay

Agreed.
1st reply was correct.

Only those who got into it as a trend can truly grow out of it. That, or some of those people who don't expand their horizons while they listen to metal. Because you'll either find other stuff while you're still into metal and grow to become diverse, or you'll end up "out-listening" your metal and end up moving on to other things all together eventually.

Of course, some people just continuously listen to metal and will stick to it. But it seems that there's more of those people growing out of it than those who have alternatives.
Quote by solidgay

+1
Quote by Slaytanic1993

thats because he is a very annoying person who likes to patronise people at every opportunity
Quote by cliffemall123
Same here. Listening to metal has actually helped me be more open minded about all kinds of music, regardless of the genre.

definitely.

That and really delving into musicianship has made me appreciate all ends of the genre spectrum and realize that all genres, and all music, have something to offer... its just some are not suited for certain people (i.e. Soulja Boy is not suited for many metalheads, but it has a purpose which is being a catchy tune with its own dance--like Thriller was back in its day--and getting the girls busy on the dance floor... and if you learn how to do the dance, its pretty fun ).

Besides, I always switch up what I listen to, even though metal is my favorite genre, I love listening to Jazz (Al Di Meola, Miles Davis, & John McLauhglin rule), Classical (Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, & Holst are some of my favorites), Blues (B.B. King, SRV, Albert King, etc.) Flamenco & Latin music (Strunz & Farah, Paco de Lucia). They all keep me occupied. Whenever I think I'm getting tired of a band or genre of metal, I simply scroll down my ipod and find something better. Then when I want that intensity and darkness again, I scroll right back to the metal band I think will suit me best.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Page 1 of 4