I have been playing for a couple of years now, and usually do my own set ups on my basses, thanks to the internet and my fender, which is the easiest bass in the world to set up, but i was in a music shop the other day looking at a bass and i asked they guy there if on the particular bass i pointed out, it would be okay with really low action.
He said "why, what sort of style do you play in"? I said i slap a bit, sometimes pick, and every other time use my thumb and 3 fingers to play.

SO he said, " I don't know why you want low action for slap most guys have the action really high to play that way"

(not exact words, but you get the picture).

This led me to think am I supposed to have high or low action to slap? I have always found it more comfortable to have it as low as i can get it without the strings buzzing so much it dulls notes etc. which is it high or low?
I have a hard time slapping with high action, but then again I'm not much of a slap player.
I find its easier to get a good slap tone with lower action and lighter strings, but not so low that there is buzz obviously. The higher the action, the more work you have to do with the thumb to get a decent percussive slap when the strings hit the frets.
No... you want low action for slap lol. I don't know what that guy was talking about.

The only downside I see is not being able to really "dig in". Guys like Marcus Miller have a REAL punchy sound like that because they hit the string hard. With lower action, you wouldn't be able to push the string down all that much. It would add a little more "oomph" to your slap.

So, I guess if you want a punchier slap, keep it high. Low for more growl. MOST people play it low, and in fact I don't physically know ANYONE who prefers high action for slap.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
the only possible way that would feel better is if your fingers are so fat they don' t slide under the strings to pop easily.

but if you have that fat of fingers, you need to lay off the twinkies.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
An instrument salesman? Talking crap? I thought that only happened in musicals!

Maybe high action is good for slap if your idea of slap is just twatting the strings hard. Otherwise I'd go for nice low action and tight-ish strings.
I cannot make my fender bass (with super high action) produce any sound by slapping it, for ****... however I went to the london guitar show, tried out an Ibanez bass with super low action, I didn't even have to slap it that hard and I got an awesome slapping sound.
I would think if you are slapping like Flea (madman style) and just whacking away it your string, you would want a higher action. But if your just doing some lighter slapping and thumbing, more relaxed, the lower action would make it easier.
Quote by Morphox
I cannot make my fender bass (with super high action) produce any sound by slapping it, for ****... however I went to the london guitar show, tried out an Ibanez bass with super low action, I didn't even have to slap it that hard and I got an awesome slapping sound.

you could have too much relief, my p bass was really awfull for slap and for overall playing after a 8 hour travel by plane, but after a nice setup it is awesome, its the most playabable bass that i have ever touched, ok not the most but one of the most, as is great for slap
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400