Title says it all.

I'm finally getting a completely new set of strings for my guitar (I've been using my stock strings with occasional replacements.)

My question is I know that depending on what strings you get it accommodates to different needs. Lower gauges make it easier to shred and higher ones are better if you use alternate tuning like drop d. Unfortunately both of these are in my interests.

Anybody want to enlighten me a bit?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
drop D isn't that much of a drop that it needs an increase in string guage as it's only 1 string that's detuned and it's only a single whole step.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
thicker strings can be tuned lower and still play well, its alot about feel as well. you can detune 9's at least a whole step and still have the small string feel and sound. try some out, then when you settle on a size, get your guitar setup for that size string and stick with it. i use 9-46's on mine and its a good mix of both.
Lighter sets of strings are supposed to easier to play fast on and area also easier to bend as the tension is less. A heavier set will be better if you want to downtune to a low tuning so the strings dont go flappy they also have a heavier sound but it means you cant bent them as easily.

If your changing strings i wouldn't recomend getting a hugley different gauge as you will need to set it up again.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
I was actually either thinking of seeing of they had elixers or a set of some sort of low gauge ernie balls. I've heard good stuff about both. Mixed about elixers though

D'addario's maybe?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
i used elixers for a while, but its really depressing when one breaks since they are about 3x more expensive than ernie balls. they sound good and last a while though
Quote by chris024
i used elixers for a while, but its really depressing when one breaks since they are about 3x more expensive than ernie balls. they sound good and last a while though

So what would you say is the better choice?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
What kind of guitar do you have? If you have a tremelo you will likely have to make adjustments should you change string size. I think size is mostly a matter of personal preference. I prefer 10's or 11's over 9's because I also play bass and acoustic so I tend to overbend lighter strings. I like Elixirs for acoustic but don't consider their electric strings to sound good or be worth the cost.
I'm a big fan of the 9-46 hybrid sets. It's basically if they took the higher 3 strings from a set of 9-42, and the lower 3 strings from a set of 10-46. Unfortunately, elixir doesn't do a hybrid set like that.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by cedricsmods
What kind of guitar do you have? If you have a tremelo you will likely have to make adjustments should you change string size. I think size is mostly a matter of personal preference. I prefer 10's or 11's over 9's because I also play bass and acoustic so I tend to overbend lighter strings. I like Elixirs for acoustic but don't consider their electric strings to sound good or be worth the cost.

No trem. Tune-o-matic bridge if that matters.

Personally I think I would be good getting d'addarios. I tried them out whilst playing a Synyster Custom at GC and thought..."Wow...nice strings". Haven't tried Elixers or Ernie Balls though.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Ernie Ball 'skinny top, heavy bottom' strings. What about those?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I think the size of string gauge personally is mainly about what size feels best to you (although another reason could be what sound you like since thick gauge [13-60 or whatever] will have a different sound than a light gauge [9-42 or whatever])

personally i use 10-52 (light top heavy bottom) because it's easier for me to grip the bass strings for chording and easier to play leads with the thinner treble.

if you never really changed your strings much stay with 9-42 gauge strings (which i believe are the standard size? i think 9-42 is right i havnt bought normal sized strings in a long time) or if they are too thick for your liking try 8-38 and if you want heavier try a 10-46 gauge.
My band (Vocals/Lead Guitar)
www.myspace.com/kilmoreband

Guitars:
(Main) Gibson LP Studio (Duncan JazzB/Jazzn)
(B) Fender Strat (Lace Sensor Red/Silver/Blue)
(BU) BC Rich NJ Exotic Classic Rich Bich (Mustaine LW)
Amps: Line 6 HD 147
Would you need to get the guitar set up though for a change of gauge from 9 - 46 to 10 - 48?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
GHS thick thinn, i love em
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I went with the Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. Gonna string my guitar up in a bit.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
if you're not playing with a floyd, it won't make a huge difference initially.

tell us how you like the Ernies!
------

Shwiggity.
lol since this has already been helped just like to point out... that your not ignorant about it... ignorance is more of someone choosing not to learn something... you can call someone ignorant when they choose to be oblivious to the fact...

since your trying to find out about it, you sir are not ignorant! lol...sorry... completely wasted someones time? heh my bad
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by deftonesordie
if you're not playing with a floyd, it won't make a huge difference initially.

tell us how you like the Ernies!

i disagree, ive got all fixed bridge guitars and i always need to reset my innotation even if i just go from 9-43 to 9-46 and sometimes adjust action when i make a string switch. you can really tell a out of tune sound above the 7th fret or so if its not properly setup. real bad above 12th fret, well not real bad, but if you try to harmonize, you'll rip your hair out.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

I ahve basically the same thing on my LP, and they are great for drop tuning since the bass strings stay tight (the 6th string is as thick as a 7th string from a set of 9's), so that's quite good for drop tuning.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Those are the ones I use.

I LOVE them. Very comfortable.

I tune down to Drop C. It's an amazing sounding set.
Try it, I dare you!
I'm an Avid Dean Markley user, i've recently switched to the 13 set... the DT (downtuning) set... but i'm in C - Bb most of the time lately... SO Balls.

but as for standard, on my epi, i've never had to adjust anything, i started on 9's (stock) then upgraded continuously through 10's and 11's, and kinda jumped the 12's... my 11'2 were Light top, heavy bottom... great strings.
------

Shwiggity.