Page 1 of 2
OK, before you read any further, here's my position. Randy Rhoads was a good guitarist that obviously inspired a lot of people to play guitar. I respect everything he did, but he was nowhere close to peers such as EVH, Malmsteen, Gilbert, etc.

Here's the question - why do you always hear people honestly calling him the greatest guitarist ever? He wasn't THAT great. As far as I know, he wasn't that innovative, either.
He was one of the first to bring classical influence into metal music. Also, after he died, (like hendrix and dimebag) his popularity skyrocketed.
I don't deny he was good, his death was untimely. However, having looked over alot of live recordings of Randy Rhads playing along with having the four albums he played on (Quiet Riot 1 and 2, as well as the Ozzy ones).

He had ALOT of skill, and if he had been alive longer he would of created alot more. However I do understand what you are saying and I have nothing against it.
Gear:

Ex-50

Epiphone Les Paul

Marshal MG30DFX
I could ask the same for Slash. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great guitarist. I love Guns N' Roses as well. I just find it laughable that every new guitarist seems to suck his dick. It's ridiculous.

*Prepares for flaming, hate mail, and rape threats

>.>
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by Mynabull
I could ask the same for Slash. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great guitarist. I love Guns N' Roses as well. I just find it laughable that every new guitarist seems to suck his dick. It's ridiculous.

>.>

I will protect you, as I share your opinion
he was better than EVH imo.....

he was good for his time....like every other "guitar god" *cough*hendrixpage*cough*

guitarists like those will always be viewed as the best
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Because he was pretty good and he died, of course.

See also: Dimebag, Hendrix, John Lennon, Cliff Burton, Kurt Cobain et al
There is also his melodic abilities. His technique was just so so but his melodic ideas were exellent.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Quote by captainoid
I will protect you, as I share your opinion

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Rhoads was more popular than the other players a lot of because of Ozzy and beginning his career away from Sabbath, he was also looked at as how great he could have been if he had not died, which appeals to more people.
Quote by StratFox
OK, before you read any further, here's my position. Randy Rhoads was a good guitarist that obviously inspired a lot of people to play guitar. I respect everything he did, but he was nowhere close to peers such as EVH, Malmsteen, Gilbert, etc.

Here's the question - why do you always hear people honestly calling him the greatest guitarist ever? He wasn't THAT great. As far as I know, he wasn't that innovative, either.

Mhmm. But Randy wasn't around very long. We only had him for about 3 good years, I don't call anybody the "greatest ever". Randy was innovative, I hear something different in his guitar playing, something Eddie, and Gilbert just don't have. He was a classical guitarist, and you hear that in everything he did. Listen to Diary of a Madman, Would Eddie have come up with something like that? No. Personally I would have rather Randy later on been in another band. He seemed like a nice guy, and Ozzy was just the total opposite. It would have been nice to have herd him really be able to show, what he had, I dont think we fully got to hear what he could offer, and unfortunitly we wont. RIP
it has nothing to do with the fact that he died. i didnt know he was dead for a while but i still worshipped the ground he walked on. and he is better than EVH. that is my opinion
Had he lived, It's merely my opinion that he could have been as great if not better than Eddie. He had so much potential but was robbed of it as we were.
A bit off subject but, there's been a few people that had took lessons from him. They were printed in Guitar mags and I found a few on the net. This stuff has been my main practice routine for 2 years. Good stuff you should check it out.
Quote by Waterboy799
he was better than EVH imo.....

this

Quote by smb
Because he was pretty good and he died, of course.

and this.

When people die you usually get a ton of people praising them and saying how great they were. this applies to everything, not just music.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Mynabull

>.>

AMEN! AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!

I completely agree with you, man. I also feel the same about Randy, but Slash is so overrated that it's almost laughable. Actually, it IS laughable. The dude brought nothing new to the table. "Wow, a Metal guitarist who wears a top hat and has more of a Bluesy edge to his playing! Wow! He's original!". Yes, Slash is a pretty good player, but why is he worshiped like crazy?! Because he was in Guns 'N' Roses?! Because he wore a top hat?! I know for a fact that it's definitely not for his unoriginal guitar playing.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by captainoid
He was one of the first to bring classical influence into metal music. Also, after he died, (like hendrix and dimebag) his popularity skyrocketed.

Not really, blackmore brought it in way way earlier.
Quote by Supernaut2k

Yeah, I was thinking that too.
Quote by Supernaut2k

Did you even read the post? He said ONE of the first, leave Blackmore out of this.

I'll edit later.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
He created some very memorable music and solos. He influenced a lot of people to play guitar. He brought a classical twist to a normally blues-based music. I mean, if that doesn't entitle someone to greatness, I don't know what does.
They suck his wang, because you can hear his heart and soul within his Music.
He was someone who really loved what he played, that's why.
You're just jealous because everyone doesn't suck your wang...

Quote by Orbit91

+1
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
Quote by Orbit91

That's subjective. That's just how you hear it, I don't hear anything special when he plays. People who hear what you hear most likely love him. People like me and the topic creator...not so much. Most people who play guitar at his level, love what they play anyway, so that doesn't make him special at all. Hell, I play guitar at a much lower level and love what I play.
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
Quote by BlueAltitudes
Did you even read the post? He said ONE of the first, leave Blackmore out of this.

I'll edit later.

I read the post and he essentially was giving Randy all of the credit for bringing Classical elements into guitar playing, which is a blatant lie used by his fanboys. It's nothing against Randy, but Blackmore did the same thing.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by Phoenix322
That's subjective. That's just how you hear it, I don't hear anything special when he plays. People who hear what you hear most likely love him. People like me and the topic creator...not so much. Most people who play guitar at his level, love what they play anyway, so that doesn't make him special at all. Hell, I play guitar at a much lower level and love what I play.

Your opinion is subjective too, I don't love him, infact..........

I think he's majorly overrated, I'm just not a biased person.

We can use this "Subjective" power word argument ad nauseam, but it's not going to be a replacement for a real discussion

Quote by Riffomatic_5000
I read the post and he essentially was giving Randy all of the credit for bringing Classical elements into guitar playing, which is a blatant lie used by his fanboys. It's nothing against Randy, but Blackmore did the same thing.

As did Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Ulrich Roth, Rik Emmett etc etc.
Seems the same retort can be used against fanboys of every Guitarist
Last edited by Orbit91 at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by metdethslaythrx
You're just jealous because everyone doesn't suck your wang...

No.
He was WAY better than EVH

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
Quote by Mynabull

>.>

Slash isn't anything special.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
When people die you usually get a ton of people praising them and saying how great they were. this applies to everything, not just music.

I was having this conversation today over a certain guy who played The Joker in batman . . .

Pretty much everything I want to say in this thread has been said, innovative etc, but I just had to mention the title. It's a bit gai.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Randy is excellent and I enjoy his work and wouldve became such a greater player if life wasnt ended so short. As far as Ozzy Guitarist I have to say I think Jake E. Lee was his best.
Because he's amazing!!

You can name any song with him on (even the ones from QR1 and QR2) and I can remember the solo and sing it to you. I don't know anyone else who wrote such memorable guitar solos.
Different likes and opinions are why we have variety in music. You like what you like because you do.

When Bliizard of Ozz came out, (back then) Randy's playing blew people away, because AT THAT TIME, it was indeed very different from anything else. I remember it well as I experienced it when it was happening.

Live, he was simply incredible. People that really loved his playing do so for the same reasons they love the playing of other guitarists.
They like him.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
They like him.

/thread

Resilance has ended this thread, shock shock...Consider this over.
Quote by StratFox

No where close to EVH, Malmsteen, Gilbert, etc? Yeah he was no where close because he was way better than them. EVH is amazing but Malmsteem and Gilbert have done nothing to guitar playing. Randy brought something new to the table. Sure, Blackmore started the whole neo-classical movement, but Randy progressed it and popularized it. Rock n Roll started in the early 50s, but the greatest rock n roll band of all time are The Beatles, who progressed the genre. EVH's style is 100% original, its based off of many guitarists of the 70s.

Randy Rhoads had a thing for melodies. Listen to the solos he did. Something new each time. Something inspiring. There was nothing bad about the guy. He didn't do drugs (unlike Eddie), he drank occasionally (unlike Eddie who was wasted all the time) and he took lessons all the time (uinlike Eddie). He was humble, innovative, and a great guy and certainly belongs on the list of top 20 guitarists alongside Eddie.
rJ KaHLoN
Quote by rjkahlon
No where close to EVH, Malmsteen, Gilbert, etc? Yeah he was no where close because he was way better than them. EVH is amazing but Malmsteem and Gilbert have done nothing to guitar playing.

Well it is your opinion that he is way better then them.

Malmsteen and Gilbert have inspired many people to play, that is something. They have also pushed technique even farther. They have done something.

There was nothing bad about the guy. He didn't do drugs (unlike Eddie), he drank occasionally (unlike Eddie who was wasted all the time) and he took lessons all the time (uinlike Eddie). He was humble, innovative, and a great guy and certainly belongs on the list of top 20 guitarists alongside Eddie.

Maybe I like my guitarists to be rude, obnoxious, drug addicts. In either circumstance what does any of that have to do with their music?
When he came out, 99% of guitarists playing similar genres were using a different style as him. He played classical, but forget about that. His playing was just great I think. Sure him dying has overrated him-but come on there's no denying he had an incredible amount of talent. For me personally its that every note he plays in a solo is exciting, and I can't wait for the next one-even if I've heard it a hundred times. In short: people like him because they enjoy the music he made. It didn't hurt that he brought the original frontman of Black Sabbath back up to the top. (Yes I really do think that if Ozzy had an average guitarist his solo career would have dried up really fast).
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Because he's amazing!!

You can name any song with him on (even the ones from QR1 and QR2) and I can remember the solo and sing it to you. I don't know anyone else who wrote such memorable guitar solos.

Yes. That's why people are so obsessed with Randy. It also may apply to any other guitarist that is not considered 'that good' because even if you suck at guitar, but write memorable solos, then everybody will still remember who played the solo that went *dooo doooo do doooooo wah wahh* last night
I absolutely LOVE Steve Ray Vaughen

he's obviously not teh best

he's damn good

but is he even remotely comparable to some of those guys out there?
not in the lesat.

But I still absolutely adore the mans playing.

It's the same deal with Randy
but also Randy has a certain fame that only comes with dying.
He also played for Ozzy, which lets face it, anyone starting to listen to metal is going to listen to Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest

the legendary bands

so alot of new young guitar players find people like Randy as their first real idol.

They may eventually move onto idolizing someone else
(Once upon a time my favorite guitar player was Tony Iommi, then I discovered Jani Liimatainen, Steve Vai, and Andy Timmons. Iommi, though I still love him, is no longer my favorite)

Most people who begin idolizing Randy may eventually find other guitar players they like even more.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Page 1 of 2