I got a part time job this summer, and have saved about 800 dollars. I am planning to buy a new guitar for myself with this money, but I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys first.

My amp is a Peavey Windsor, and I want a guitar with good versatility because I like to dabble in all different types of music. I play everything from the Beatles to Pantera. I am also the lead guitarist in a band and have been playing for about two years. My favorite bands are zeppelin, sabbath, iron maiden, pink floyd, and the allman brothers.
So far I've been looking at the Epi Les Paul Ultra II, the fender lonestar strat, and the schecter classic. My personal favorite so far is the Epi les Paul Ultra 2, because I really love the tone it produces, but I wanted to know if you guys had any other ideas in mind.
Also I'd like to know if you guys can recommend anywhere to buy it from, because the only local guitar store is a guitar center (eugh) that's about 30 min away. I've been thinking about buying it from sweetwater.com because of the free setup for the guitar.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
epi sg g400?
thats what id go with
plus you have left over cash
Quote by Green_Jelly

Quote by gnomieowns
damn. can't you get your girlfrie...
nevermind.
Right now you're offending at least 75% of the Pit.

jackson warrior on the way in $400
Quote by strat7993
epi sg g400?
thats what id go with
plus you have left over cash

I've played a couple and they just didn't do it for me, I love the sg's, but the g-400 just don't feel right to me
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Get an RG or a prestige.

I don't know how much USD they are but over here they're about £350-800, and they're usually the same figures but in $ overseas.
why buy an imitation???.....get a used gibson les paul standard..or used gibson sg

that will cover 3 of the 5 bands ya listed...you'll need a strat for the other 2..

good luck
The LP Ultra 2 won't really produce heavy tones for Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath sounds, since it was made for acoustic-y tone. Get a Epi LP Standard Plus (or the Custom[the Limited Edition one OWNS]), and throw some new p'ups and maybe a Bigsby in it.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Ec 1000?
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom.. $500 check em out at musiciansfriend.com
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
well i would suggest u get Gibson SG Faded i have and i play every thing from eric clapton to in flames so its vary versatile. and BTW at GC the set up for guitars with out a trem is only like $30 and then they can set it up ur exact wants and specs and if u set it up for somin and u decide u want it set up for somin else they will change it for free with in a certain time range
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Chikao42
Get an RG or a prestige.

I don't know how much USD they are but over here they're about £350-800, and they're usually the same figures but in $ overseas.

Why would I do that the RG and the Presiege both look and sound like ass
Quote by GeneralGrim
Quote by shredforbread33
Ec 1000?

I'm tempted by the vintage black... I think I might go for one of those.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Quote by evilbeaver22
Why would I do that the RG and the Presiege both look and sound like ass

You asked for advice, you should take it without being a complete ass.
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
Schecter C-1 Classic or Hellraiser?
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
i say save 100 more dollars nd buy the chuck schuldiner signature stealth. but u might not wanna listen 2 me cuz chuck is my god.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by Moose45
Schecter C-1 Classic or Hellraiser?

+1. I'd suggest a floyd rose (therefore the Hellraiser FR or the Blackjack ATX FR), since you want to do pantera.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
+1. I'd suggest a floyd rose (therefore the Hellraiser FR or the Blackjack ATX FR), since you want to do pantera.

No. He said everything from The Beatles to Pantera. EMGs are NOT versatile.

Quote by bBreaker
What about an Edwards LP? I they have seymore duncanas, there made in Japan, and there quality is supposed to be as good a Gibson. Here's a link http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/index.html

Yes. Good advice!
Also check out the LTD I recommended. It has slightly better fret access than a normal Les Paul, is cheaper than most Japanese copies, and comes with [IMO] nice pickups. A lot of people dislike this model of Seymour Duncans though.
I like the LTD, I'm gonna go out and play some of the guitars you guys have recommended tomorrow.
Taanks to everyone who has replied.
Quote by GeneralGrim
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser hardtail should go around $650. +200 for the Floyd Rose version.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

ibanez rg1570 is pretty versatile, considering it's HSH. nice guitar too, if you can get on with the skinny neck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schecter

Hellraiser C1 FR
Blackjack C1 (ATX) FR
Stiletto6

Jackson

DK2
DK2M
DK2S
DKMG

ESP