Hey UG, I need help making a practice schedule. I've been playing seriously for a little over two years now and while I've improved a lot, I feel like like I'm in a rut now and only some serious practicing will help me out. If it matters, I'm into a lot of death and thrash metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Megadeth, Testament, Metallica, Celtic Frost, Sepultura, Opeth, Deicide, Slayer, Exodus, etc.) though I listen to lots of different genres of music.

I really want to improve my leads and become faster, more technical, more original, etc. Right now I know a few scales (major, minor, harmonic minor, and some modes) and I'm an intermediate guitarist (imo at least). I don't have too much speed though. I can play the solo to Paranoid by Black Sabbath clean and that's about my skill level.
I can alternate pick, do natural and pinch harmonics, tap, etc. I can't sweep pick but I understand the idea, I just haven't practiced it.

Anyways, I just want to know what should I practice and how long I should practice a day. I want an organized list of every exercise and how long to practice it. Theres a little chromatice exercise I like to practice and I know I need to practice my scales, but what else?
schedule shmedule.. guitar is supposed to be fun, not like a job. practice whenever you want, however long you want.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Just open up a word processor, and put some kind of order to stuff you already play. Insert techniques/songs you would like to learn, set reasonable time slots. Add a pinch of cinnamon and you have your self a schedule.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by RabbidWolf
schedule shmedule.. guitar is supposed to be fun, not like a job. practice whenever you want, however long you want.

I agree! For me I love to play all the time. Normally I play for about 4-9 hours a day. So when you play that much it is hard to keep a consistent schedule.

On the other hand, if you aren't very serious, and you play for less than 4 hours a day, you probably need a schedule. I would split your total practice time in half. Half should be experiment/fun, and the other half should be scales, speed, and technique. I would practice twice a day, and try to have fun doing the scales speed and tech.
Don't turn guitar into a choir. Trust me I've been there, it's not fun.
Just jam and have fun dude, try new things while having fun.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by TollBoothWorker
I agree! For me I love to play all the time. Normally I play for about 4-9 hours a day. So when you play that much it is hard to keep a consistent schedule.

On the other hand, if you aren't very serious, and you play for less than 4 hours a day, you probably need a schedule. I would split your total practice time in half. Half should be experiment/fun, and the other half should be scales, speed, and technique. I would practice twice a day, and try to have fun doing the scales speed and tech.

I practice for 8 - 12 hours a day and I have a huge routine which takes about the whole day to complete. The thing is my routines is (whole routine one day and Half routine and have fun the next day). I have when through many many routines and this is the best one for me.

I seen a lot of people play for 4 hours a day and are better than you so, don't put yourself on a throne, please. Most people play for 2 hours a day and are serious so, don't be an elitist idiot, son.

I like to add that you SHOULD always be disciplined guitaist and have fun while playing guitar, not only having fun or just being disciplined but both.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by herman ri2
I practice for 8 - 12 hours a day and I have a huge routine which takes about the whole day to complete. The thing is my routines is (whole routine one day and Half routine and have fun the next day). I have when through many many routines and this is the best one for me.

I seen a lot of people play for 4 hours a day and are better than you so, don't put yourself on a throne, please. Most people play for 2 hours a day and are serious so, don't be an elitist idiot, son.

I like to add that you SHOULD always be disciplined guitaist and have fun while playing guitar, not only having fun or just being disciplined but both.

dude dont be a total douche.. he didn't mean you as in YOU. And even though he made a poor, unthought out statement, no need to bash him and call him an idiot.. and uh.. son?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
dude dont be a total douche.. he didn't mean you as in YOU. And even though he made a poor, unthought out statement, no need to bash him and call him an idiot.. and uh.. son?

If defending guitarists that play less than 4 because it their choice makes me a douche than I guess I am. Even though he took a shot at them saying they are not practicing enough and putting them on a lower. I know he didn't mean me because I practice 8 - 12 hours a day. I was just defending guitarists that do practice 4 hours or less.
yea... i tried the same concept of forcing myself to practice and it doesnt work i quit for a while ( couple months) then started up again. when you make yourself play guitar you make it a chore for yourself. then you dont wanna do it anymore trust me play only when you feel like it
Quote by herman ri2

Sorry I offended you my brother. Sometimes I notice this general consensus that if you play an instrument, you need to be disciplined and practice all the time. I just think that its stupid, and If anything I was trying to say that if the TS doesn't want to revolve his life around guitar, he shouldn't. A lot of people feel obligated by others to practice a lot, but I think if its just a hobby then don't practice a shiz load every day. Then I told him to split it into fun time and serious time, so he stays interested, and get a little better in the process. Each paragraph I put was an option, I wasn't pushing towards the second. Thats also why I said "on the other hand," that hints at a 50/50 decision. The main message I was conveying was that the last thing you said is not true

(I like to add that you SHOULD always be disciplined guitaist and have fun while playing guitar, not only having fun or just being disciplined but both.. )

Finally I would also add that I mentioned my self and my own routine just as much as you did. In fact I mentioned less about my self than you. Which sounds like you are putting your self on more of a throne. I find that to be Ironic as hell and a little hypocritical. All in all I think you were in a bad mood when you read my post, then you became a little intimidated, and thats flattering! So here is a little Ironic Thank you very much for being so intimidated that you had to lash out at me. Hopefully you will find enough time in your busy little day to read this!

Send me a friend request please
Last edited by TollBoothWorker at Aug 4, 2008,
Just play songs u like and arn't very good at. Just playing harder songs makes u better. If u focus on one song ull get it.
Quote by RabbidWolf

+1000000000000000001

HERO