I've spent a lot of time saving for my amp and I've made a lot of decisions.

First I wanted a Spider 3 120W combo. I found out however, that the effects weren't that amazing, and the sound quality was kind of poor.

That's when I decided I wanted a half stack. Right now I have close to $400 but I don't gain much fast considering I don't have a job (I'm 15), and I keep spending money on going out and doing stuff with my friends and girlfriend. I've looked at several different options though.

Crate Flexwave 120- Cheap half stack. $500 for the head and cab. Tried it out, and thought it was nice, but the onboard effects kinda sucked.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW120HS-120W-HalfStack?sku=481416

Fender FM100H- Thing that I like best is that it has 2 inputs. I'd really like to teach my dad to play guitar and this would be great. I also like that it has the Fender name on it. Just makes it sound good haha. The only thing that worries me is that it's 4 ohms instead of 8. I don't know what difference this makes but I've noticed most are 8.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-100H-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483716 ($299 more for the cab)

Randall RX120RH- Don't really know anything about this one. Just know that it's in my price range. I don't like the looks of it as much, but that's not really what counts.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RH-and-RX412-Half-Stack?sku=481735

Vox AD100VT- I'm pretty confident this is the best sounding of the bunch. I've heard the 50W combo version and it's great. I have no idea what the pre amp tube deal is all about, but I know it has it lol. This is probably the best, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 200 compared to most of these, or if another is close enough.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VTH-and-V412BK-Half-Stack?sku=481482

So I was just wondering what you guys thought the best one in this price range was. I really don't want to spend the $750 or whatever for the Vox, but I love the amp. That being said, please don't go save more for a tube amp. I'd love too, but I need this decently soon. I will be using this for gigs in my band. Thanks in advance for the input.
Randall RG series.
They're the best solid state's I've personally heard.
Signatures are overrated.
Roland Cube
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
You got 400ish? buy a used Peavey Valveking 112. Great sound, very versitle, and it also has the 2 imputs you said you wanted.

(watch someone come and say to get a Classic30 instead, happens everytime a VK is suggested)
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
If you're not willing to spend good money then you're not ready for a halfstack
You'll find your money is much better spent on a 30 or 50 watt tube combo, it'll be just as loud and will sound infinitely better
Get a Peavey Valveking, it's a 100w combo and it'll sound much better than anything you listed
ohai little sig.
Vox AD100VT- I'm pretty confident this is the best sounding of the bunch. I've heard the 50W combo version and it's great. I have no idea what the pre amp tube deal is all about, but I know it has it lol. This is probably the best, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 200 compared to most of these, or if another is close enough.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...tack?sku=481482

Thats your best bet. Stay well away from fender fm's, flat, boring and increadibly unreliable.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Of those get the vox, but seriously, no to the half stack.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
A 30W tube combo would be just fine and all the sound you'll ever need..
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Demonikk
If you're not willing to spend good money then you're not ready for a halfstack
You'll find your money is much better spent on a 30 or 50 watt tube combo, it'll be just as loud and will sound infinitely better
Get a Peavey Valveking, it's a 100w combo and it'll sound much better than anything you listed

I personaly think the 212 is a rip off.
The 112 is plenty loud enough for home use, band practices, and most small to medium gigs. And any gig larger you can just mic it and save yourself a few 100 bucks
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Let me remind some of you guys that the Valveking doesn't sound too great at the genre's it covers. Instead of doing one genre well, it does all genre's averagely.
^^well that seems to be the popular opinion...but I rarely agree with the popular opinion on anything, this being no exception.
Quote by dcdossett65

Who.

Cares.
Ok let's see if I were looking for a good amp that's loud versatile... plenty of gain and has a tonne of very useful features.. I would probably look at....
<----- Traynor YCS50
Quote by HLrocker
^^well that seems to be the popular opinion...but I rarely agree with the popular opinion on anything, this being no exception.

Fine by me.

But if he chose to get the VK, it'd be recommended by a lot of people to change the speaker/s and tubes. Which is more money spent.

There's actually better in the price range too.
Go for a tube combo thats at least 30 to 50w. $750 can get you a good combo, depending on the genre you wanna play.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Ok let's see if I were looking for a good amp that's loud versatile... plenty of gain and has a tonne of very useful features.. I would probably look at....
<----- Traynor YCS50

If you have $750 to spend, that would be one thing to do^. As well, you can get a hell of a nice tube combo for that used, and a pedal or two.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
So how many watts should I look at for tube. I've heard they're much louder. What's your opinion on Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I'd love to buy some of the deals on here, but my parents just think I'm gonna get shafted.
Youre just not going to get much of a half stack amp for 400 bucks. A decent cab is that much alone if not more. If your just looking for loud then they might be ok. But your choices are just more powerful practice amps. There are decent tube combos out there for that price. And a 30 watt tube will most times be just as loud as a 100watt SS and sound alot better turned up.
Quote by gregs1020
If you have $750 to spend, that would be one thing to do^. As well, you can get a hell of a nice tube combo for that used, and a pedal or two.

what do you think that is?
Is the ValveKing112 as good as the other ones or a cheaper, crappier version. It's within my price range already, I just want to know that I'm getting a good amp. However I'd love to have a tube amp, and new it's only $400. If I buy that is there anything you guys would suggest to make it sound even better? New speaker? Tubes? What pedals should I get?
30 - 50 watts is probably all you need. But what kind of music do you play? The fender isn't going to do metal. It will do blues and rock well.
http://maine.craigslist.org/msg/778241393.html Here's a HRD for $400...
If that amp works for you, you may want to also look at this...
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=63145&ovchn=BIZ&ovcpn=Sam+Ash+TL&ovcrn=63145&ovtac=CMP&AffiliateID=622 It has better gain than the fender but not as pristine cleans. This will do metal with the right od on a budget.

But if you want an amp with effects built in you will want a hybrid tube modeling amp like this... It's not an all tube amp, it uses one tube in the preamp and a SS power section.
http://maine.craigslist.org/msg/759077030.html
But if you want to spend up to $650 for a new amp, you could but you don't need to.

EDIT TO tubeampguy "What do I think that is?" It's the amp you recommended, the YCS50. I agreed with you. But he doesn't want to spend that much.

Edit 2: And IMHO there is nothing wrong with a VK 50 watt 112. I liked the amp when I tried it, but there is a lot more out there to look at besides the VK to be sure you are happy with your purchase.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2008,
I'm playing Rock, Alt, and a little bit of classic rock. My favorite bands are Brand New, Nickelback, Staind, Led Zeppelin, Dashboard Confessional, and Jimmy Eat World.

The vox that you mentioned does sound really nice. Thats what the lead guitarist in my band is playing. The Crate almost seems too good to be true for the money. I do like the idea of 2 speakers though. I just think it will give you more sound.
Quote by haalternative
I'm playing Rock, Alt, and a little bit of classic rock. My favorite bands are Brand New, Nickelback, Staind, Led Zeppelin, Dashboard Confessional, and Jimmy Eat World.

The vox that you mentioned does sound really nice. Thats what the lead guitarist in my band is playing. The Crate almost seems too good to be true for the money. I do like the idea of 2 speakers though. I just think it will give you more sound.

Yea the Crate's a new line. GC and MF still have that amp at $100 more, SamAsh has dropped the price a boatload. It will have a deeper/richer sound than the vox. But the Vox will have more "bells and whistles". In the end, it's what you like that matters. Try before you buy whether you buy new or used.

Edit: I find VK 112's on craiglslist from $275-$325.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2008,
Quote by haalternative
So how many watts should I look at for tube. I've heard they're much louder. What's your opinion on Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I'd love to buy some of the deals on here, but my parents just think I'm gonna get shafted.

Tube amps are not much louder than solid state amps volume wise, but all amps will break up at higher volumes.

But when tube amps break up at high volumes it is sonically pleasing with great harmonic complexity and your tone feels more "alive" and dynamic.

When a solid state amp starts to clip, it starts to sound nasty, like your amp is dying. Thus, a 40 watt tube amp is more usable running at 8 or 9 than a 40 watt solid state amp. If you honestly want a half stack, it won't matter because you will likely never run it at super high volumes anyway. But regardless, a cheap amp will sound like a cheap amp and is built like a cheap amp. You will almost always get what you pay for when going cheap.

I've never been a huge fan of the hot rod deluxe. Too much clean headroom for my tastes, I prefer British voiced amp which overdrive more easily (note: overdrive does not equal distortion). Not to mention, I don't feel like it breaks up particularly gracefully at high volumes anyway.