I'd say yes. It would help if you gave us a little more info about what styles you play and such.
Quote by coolestloser
I'd say yes. It would help if you gave us a little more info about what styles you play and such.

Mostly metal, punk, and some clean stuff.
Yes, it is a solid bass. You shouldn't have any issues with Fender. However, as they said above me, it may not be the bass for you. List your interests to help you decide and confirm your decision.

For one, the P bass isn't very versatile. People will argue against me, but it doesn't do NEARLY as much as a jazz bass. Second of all, the necks are different. Some people find the clunky P-bass neck uncomfortable, whereas others love the larger spacing.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
The bassist from bloc party uses standard fender precisions, so they must be alright!
Quote by Amitio
The bassist from bloc party uses standard fender precisions, so they must be alright!
Many, many bassists use Fender Ps. That doesn't really prove anything - plenty of people play Gibsons.

Edit: ^
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nikki Sixx uses a Thunderbird.

I rest my case.

Dude, no one likes Nicky Sixx
Quote by smb
Many, many bassists use Fender Ps. That doesn't really prove anything - plenty of people play Gibsons.

True, but he uses a standard precision, the one mim, which i thought is the one the TS was talking about!
Quote by Amitio
True, but he uses a standard precision, the one mim, which i thought is the one the TS was talking about!
Quote by smb
Many, many bassists use Fender Standard Ps. That doesn't really prove anything - plenty of people play Gibsons.
Happy now?

I mean they're alright, but shop around, try lots of things. There was a time when I wanted a Fender. The problem with them being so ubiquitous is that everything else is compared to them which makes Fenders seem so ordinary, if you see what I mean.
I agree smb, to be honest, every time this sort of thread comes around, i think the TS should go to their nearest music shop and try as many basses as possible!
Its the only way to tell what the basses are like, the fell of the bass is very important.
good buy but it might not be for you, i love p basses and i was about to buy one when suddenly i saw a squier(yep squier) calling me and i decided to give him a try and dude it was awesome, that squier is now my main bass, i will never upgrade to any bass in the price range of less than 800$, i tried many basses and mine with his 250$ price tag beated them all, the only ones that were a match were MIAs fender, but they were around 1000$ an that 4x the price of mine, so be aware of VM series
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i have a standard p-bass and its really awesome!!!

i say buy it if you like it
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
If you're just looking to hold down the rhythm and not do anything too fancy, get it.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
If you're just looking to hold down the rhythm and not do anything too fancy, get it.

Tell that to Steve Harris.

Really, you should try as many basses as it takes for you to make an informed decision on what you want.

It is a solid bass, and if you like the tone and feel more than that of all the other basses you tried, go for it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The 2008 models are a bit more expensive than the 2006/7 models, but I'd say well worth the extra cash. I have the MIA Standard Jazz (which I'm sure everyone's fed up with hearing about), and I've tried the 2008, they're extremely solid. I'd say look into the standard Jazz, because they can give a P-bassish sound, while being extremely versatile.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
ive got one and its great, if u like it and its not greatly overpriced get it
Quote by angus is god
maybe she passed out in the bathroom. You should have found her then had one of your friends yell "FINISH HER!" like from mortal combat and then jizz on her
Quote by watchingmefall
IMO P-basses are no frills, get-what-you-pay workhorses. Nothing more. Not saying that's a bad, it's a great thing. But that's my concept.

unless they are squier VM
now thats what i call a great deal
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
P-bass is really the bass if you don't like messing with your settings. it makes pretty much one sound, has only 2 knobs, and that sound fits anywhere. you can plug it in and just play. you don't need to mess with it too much. on a j-bass, a song can be really sweet sounding when you keep the tone knob all the way up, favoring that bridge pickup, but the next one, you need to lose a lot of that bite, boost the neck pickup, and drop the tone. that, in my opinion, is the best thing about P and P style basses.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Amitio
Dude, no one likes Nicky Sixx

I like Nikki Sixx. So that's enough to prove you wrong.Go listen to Don't go Away Mad.

And on the P-bass, if you like it go for it.