so ive been playing 6 years but i just need to clear something up about palying modes.
lets say were playing a chord pregression of C, F, and G. of course we can play c ionian (major scale), but there are other modes, such as e phrygian, with the same notes. so, if we want to play a solo without any atonal sounding notes, would you play in e phrygian or c phrygian? i would choose e phrygian but ive never been totally sure.

my confusion comes from the fact that e phrygian sounds the same to me as c ionian, because when playing all over the fretboard, im playing the same notes regardless of the starting point. but c phrygian would sound atonial to the progression. thanks for reading
The harmony determines which mode you're playing. You wouldn't play E Phrygian over a C-F-G (I-IV-V) progression because it's a simple major progression. C Phrygian wouldn't work because the notes are inconsistent with the progression and the harmony doesn't suggest it either. If you had a chord progression or vamp that was suggestive of E Phrygian, that's when you'd use it.

The reason E Phrygian sounds the same as C Ionian to you is because you've never played the E Phrygian mode; you'd certainly hear the difference with the correct harmonic context.
hmm. it always sounds the same to me though because of what i explained above. i know theres a difference in the steps but it just sounds the same to me when i play it all over the fretboard because its the same notes. is the difference in the rhythm then?
well although its not as easy with the guitar but in general you add emphasis to the root of the scale, but like i said its not as easy on guitar(although you still can). I'm sure you could add a tied eighth note or some other rhythm emphasis to the root note.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
To both above me: no, rhythm has nothing to do with it. The harmonic context brings out the unique intervals of each mode.

BAoxymoron: It's not any harder or easier with guitar as opposed to other instruments.
Quote by Soadfan8
ok thanks that helps.

For example, try this: you know the notes of D Dorian are the same as C major. Play that C-F-G and record it, and solo over it in C major.

Then, record a vamp of Dm7-G7 and play those same notes over the vamp, and you'll hear the Dorian tonality.