alright my bestfriend and rhythm guitarist plays an Ibanez Artcore series electric guitar. in the past half year or less he's experienced quite a bit of irregular string breakage. 90% of the time he plays it's with our praise and worship band, and the style of music is just that. Lot's of chord work, some slow some fast, nothing that's extreme though. But he'll break a high G or B or sometimes E string even after they're just a week or two old. At first i thought it was b/c of how hard he plays but i don't think it's that anymore, he uses 13s. It only happens that much on his guitar. I think it could be the bridge, but he said that his G, B and e strings have started to wear down the early frets unusually fast. I've never run into this problem so i'm still trying to think of what it could be.

maybe he needs a new bridge? saddles could be too sharp?

frets should be redressed or smoothed, but i doubt THEY'RE the cause of the breakage.

neck could be warped in a way that it causes these things? just a wild guess there

anyway, don't want him gettin' screwed outta strings every other week. if you've had the same prob any help is appreciated. oh, and the shop that he got his guitar from (same one i got mine from too) got shut down a couple years ago so he can't get anything done under warranty, he'll still be taking it to a pro rest assured.

thanks
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
well, i would start by finding a new string supplier/brand. Could be whoever he is buying them from, rather than the guitar. I trust he has tried different brands before comming to the conclusion it is the guitar. Sometimes you just get bad strings, although this often would be a serious bout of bad luck. As for the guitar itself, without seeing it, it would be more guessing than you are doing. Good luck to your friend and his sting issues.
ur rite, he has already looked to different brands. he's used at least three or four different brands and still came up the same way.

hopefully he won't shafted at the guitar shop, he's saving for a MIM standard and David Gilmour EMG set to go in it LOL.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
dude i would NEVER put 13s on an electric unless the guitar is setup for it, did he just go and get random gauge strings ? they need to be the same as the factory set
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Too large of strings/long scale length. Maybe that's what Im thinking, 13's for standard seems a little big.
I had what sounds like the same problem as your friend. I had
new strings breaking after like a week or a little more. the problem is,
is that everyone has oils on there hands and the oils break the strings. I
was told this by a guitar technician at a local music store and he set me up with
some Ernie Ball Custom Strings and they've worked for the last 3 months. So I'd check Ernie Ball strings.
If its the saddles they can be smoothed out. Some brands of strings just break more than others.
^well this problem only started like within the past 4 or so months. and he's had the guitar for over a couple years. his hands haven't gotten more oily than they used to be i imagine.

and to matt, same to that. i wont rule it out, but he's been playing w/ heavy strings for standard tuning since he's had it. he doesn't play ANY lead, he's all chords. so the heavy strings give him a fuller sound for that.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
get a pencil, and run it into the ridges in the saddle and the nut, the granite smoothens it out.

is smoothens even a word? lol
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010